NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-25-2008, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Default Q: How much is a slabbed "authentic" cards' value affected?

Posted By: Brandon Brown

Just wondered, since Ive seen alot of SGC "A" graded cards lately, and wondered if there is a general rule as far as % to deduct for a slabbed higher end card versus a non-altered or trimmed example? Also, I was curious to find out about how the marked (mk) and miscut (mc) qualifiers affect card value? I am still learning all of the graded card quirks I guess you could say. Thanks guys and gals!

Brandon

Old 06-26-2008, 12:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

I'm sure you'll get a variety of answers, but I would have to say that there is never a specific % drop due to the grade of authentic. It obviously depends on the player, the reason for the grade, etc. was it miscut, trimmed, altered, torn, etc. If you really want the card, set your price based on "how bad do you want that card?"

here are my 2 authentic cards

Old 06-26-2008, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren

Why is the Marichal just Aut. Is it because of recoloring?

Old 06-26-2008, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

I just bought a few T206 Authentics last week.
I was bidding on several that were all up on the Bay from one seller.

I imagine they are all trimmed, but the images were awesome (I mean, like these had NM fronts, which is all I care about, so I bid!), and I was still shocked at how high they went. The Speaker went for $330, the Matty went for over $500 I think.
I won the Keeler with Bat for $130 and I was thrilled. Hopefully I will still feel that way when it arrives. I also picked up a Zach Wheat.

Like another poster stated, it depends on how much you want the card. And to add to that, I think that is determined by how the card looks,and whether or not you care about re-sale value.
Personally, it's all about how the card looks, and not about re-sale. cuz I look at the cards, and don't intend to sell them.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Darren,

A better question would be why would someone pay to have that Marichal card graded...

Old 06-26-2008, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

good question? Is the Marichal a high #?

Old 06-26-2008, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

I still remember Anthony's story from a couple years ago regarding the Marichal. Funny. Maybe he'll repeat it.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Well SGC says it is card # 500 on that label, which is correct.

609 cards in the set. The last series is 534 - 609, and can be a bit tough.

The next to the last series, 458 - 533, isn't really all that tough.

This was the only set that I completed as a kid. I had them packed in the drawer in my bedside table. Mom gave them to a neighbor kid when I was older...

I'd think the cost of the grading was more than the value of the card in the slab.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

since i'm awake, here's the story

back in the late '60's (before i was born) my brother was a big Dodger fan. he was watching a Dodger vs Giants game and Marichal was pitching. ended up that the Dodgers lost and Marichal got the win. My brother was mad and spray painted Marichal's card. since he was the one who started me collecting cards i had the card graded a couple years ago and just gave it to him on his 50th birthday this past March. He got a kick out of it, he said he hadnt seen that card since he sprayed it in '69 or '70

The sentimental value is much higher than the card value...i put that at $5 for the encapsating fee, it may be less.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Thank you, Lug-Genius!!! That is a wonderful reason as to why the card has considerable value, to you and your brother. And I can see that this is a prime example of when a particular card should be slabbed.

Great story!

Old 06-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

There are 2 types of "Authentic" graded cards...

One that is graded "A" because it is a handcut card (ie strip cards)

One that is graded "A" because it is altered (ie trimmed, recolored, restored, etc.)

Big difference in the type of "A" cards out there and their value. Some of the best graded cards in some sets will have an "A" because thats just the way the grading companies deal with cards that were originally handcut.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Great story Anthony. I wish I had kept the 1965 Ernie banks that my brother tore in half. My dad bought my brother and I an album full of 1960's cards at an auction and my brother and I got into a fight (Over what I do not remember) and he locked himself in his room with the book....I was pounding on his door and out from underneath the door came half an Ernie Banks card...I freaked out and out came the second half. I ran and got my dad and needless to say he was in a bit of trouble. I ended up with the whole album.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keyway

Seems to me that most auth. cards go for more than a graded 1 or 2 and sometimes 3. I think it would pay to trim all your lesser grades and have them put in auth. holders. They will look nice and bring more money.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brandon Brown

There is a lot of useful information here. Glad to get several different opinions. I just want to be sure that if I am putting a set together, and come across "authentic" graded cards, I am not somehow diminishing the accomplishment of completing a set that contains non-numerically graded cards. Another part to the question, if you are putting a set together for your own collection (i.e.-not necessarily for resale) do you prefer low-grade numerical grades, or are the authentics suitable for your needs? Just curious to see what the set collectors think about this.

Brandon

Old 06-26-2008, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony S.

Maybe that card explains why Johnny Roseboro never saw Marichal coming.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat