NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-30-2018, 05:15 PM
Jon Canfield

Default Incredibly Rare Cigarette Pack Discovery

Apologies for not posting this in the "tobacco pack" thread, but I wanted to share a very exciting discovery with the Board. As many of you know, I have been collecting baseball related cigarette packs for 25+ years now. Although my collection is pretty advanced, there are still a handful of packs I've never come across, so it makes adding to my collection incredibly difficult. I'm at the point now that the 10-15 remaining packs I need are either unknown, or there is only a handful of copies that exist, and those reside in collections of old-timers or the whereabouts of the packs have been lost to time. The pack below is one such example.

To say that T231 Fan cigarettes cards are rare is an understatement. In fact, to date, only 3 examples of the cards have ever surfaced, Frank Baker, Larry Gardner and Carson Bigbee. What's incredible, however, is that about 15 years ago while doing research on the brand, I came across an old black and white photocopy of a Fans cigarette pack. It had appeared on the front cover of a cigarette newsletter in 1984. In an effort to track the box down, I contacted the publisher of the newsletter, many advanced cigarette pack collectors, and literally anyone else I could think of, but to no avail - no one had ever seen the pack beyond the newsletter, or knew what had happened to the gentleman's collection that was featured. I've been on the lookout for the pack ever since, and until recently, had resided myself to the real possibility that I'd never find it.

Fast forward to last week. Out of the blue, I received a letter in the mail (not email!) from a gentleman who ended up with the pack 40+ years ago. After some negotiation, we arrived at a price (a very steep price!), but the pack is now mine. The inner slide is missing, but the condition is incredible. So, for the first time, here is a picture of a T231 Fans cigarette box. I hope others can appreciate the pack as much as I do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fans(front)1.jpg (77.4 KB, 1211 views)
File Type: jpg Fans(back)1.jpg (77.6 KB, 1199 views)

Last edited by canjond; 10-01-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:19 PM

Default Wow

What an amazing find Jon, it certainly landed in the right collection.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:19 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Wow!

Jon,

It's a beauty! Thanks for sharing. Love the story and congrats!

Mike
Old 09-30-2018, 05:21 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Amazing Find. I love this type of thing!

I hadn't realized that "Fans" was a Tobacco Products Corp. brand. They made quite a few non-sports sets and a set of Canadian Athletes and one of my favorite all-time sets (of any sport) the CHAMPS CIGARETTES Hockey card set, there is only one or two of the packs for that brand known to exist as well (it looks really cool with the small Stanley Cup pictured on the box.) They were very proficient in marketing Actor cards in the US and Actor/Athlete cards in Canada.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 09-30-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:22 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Congrats Jon. As a pack lover and Fans Cigarettes card prior owner, that is awesome. We finally get to see it!! I am happy for you.

Last edited by Leon; 09-30-2018 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:29 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Great find, very cool!
Old 09-30-2018, 06:36 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

What a great find ! Thank you for generously sharing it with us instead of keeping it hidden away like some collectors do.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:41 PM

Default Fantastic find!

Congrats on a fantastic find! Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-30-2018, 06:58 PM

Jon--What an incredible find. You have always been generous with your knowledge, and the T231 Fan pack is the latest example of your commitment to share your important research on tobacco packs.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 09-30-2018, 07:08 PM
bR!@N R0+H

Pretty unbelievable that it's still in tact. I know you collect unopened, but aren't you curious of what is inside?

Greenberg collection
Old 09-30-2018, 07:09 PM
Manny
Banned

Was the printing on old tobacco packs normally that fuzzy? It looks pixelated almost. Are you sure it's real?
Old 09-30-2018, 07:19 PM
Jon Canfield

Thanks for the kind words, all. As for the quality of the photo, I actually just scanned in the color photocopy that was sent to me for the board to see, hence why it looks pixelated (the real pack is still in transit to me).
Old 09-30-2018, 07:21 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Great story, thanks for sharing!!
Old 09-30-2018, 07:21 PM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
Amazing Find. I love this type of thing!

I hadn't realized that "Fans" was a Tobacco Products Corp. brand. They made quite a few non-sports sets and a set of Canadian Athletes and one of my favorite all-time sets (of any sport) the CHAMPS CIGARETTES Hockey card set, there is only one or two of the packs for that brand known to exist as well (it looks really cool with the small Stanley Cup pictured on the box.) They were very proficient in marketing Actor cards in the US and Actor/Athlete cards in Canada.
Great info! Do you happen to have a scan of the Champs Cigarettes box?
Old 09-30-2018, 07:48 PM

That's incredible, Jon! Persistence pays off... or maybe patience. Congrats!
Old 09-30-2018, 09:06 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
Great info! Do you happen to have a scan of the Champs Cigarettes box?
I only have the very small image in board member Bobby Burrell's "Vintage Hockey Collector" guide book. I will copy the tiny image from there here, if he wants me to take it down I will but it is the only copy I have ever seen of it...

The set includes a card of the Stanley Cup itself as well and has been on my wantlist for years without seeing one for sale. One of the best Hockey sets ever made in my opinion.

Complete Set of the C144 Champ's Cigarettes Hockey Set that sold several years ago at Heritage (check out the Stanley Cup card):
https://sports.ha.com/itm/hockey-car...a/7024-80064.s

Stanley Cup card alone:
https://sports.ha.com/itm/hockey/192...Results-012417

I don't want to hijack your thread but here are some of the C140 Canadian Athlete Series, this is BY FAR the most difficult of the various Mixed Sport Athlete sets from the early 1920's in Canada (the other being V122 Willard's Chocolate and V31 Dominion Chocolate), the backs are somewhat on topic as they feature coupons for discounts for sporting goods (often baseball) which may account for their rarity today...

Old 09-30-2018, 09:31 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Great find, hope the pack makes it to you safe and sound

Rhett, great info on the Champs Cigarettes box and cards as well.

Thank you for sharing!
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 09-30-2018, 10:12 PM
Jon Canfield

Thanks Rhett. I assume the Stanley Cup image is a scan of the actual Stanley Cup card from the set and not the back of the cigarette box?
Old 09-30-2018, 10:33 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Great find, Jon. Congratulations! Are you almost complete now on your pack collection?
Old 09-30-2018, 10:51 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Thanks Rhett. I assume the Stanley Cup image is a scan of the actual Stanley Cup card from the set and not the back of the cigarette box?
The Stanley Cup pictured above from Bobby's book is on the box (the back, I'd assume). One of the links I posted above features the card from the set (which has a gold color look to it)

Old 09-30-2018, 10:52 PM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Great find, Jon. Congratulations! Are you almost complete now on your pack collection?
Thanks Jay. I'm slowly getting closer. There's only a handful that I know exist that I'm still missing (Mono, TTT, Uzit and a couple others).
Old 09-30-2018, 11:02 PM
Bry@n

Very nice, I am happy to see you able to add this to your collection. Congrats!

Do you have scans of the T231 cards you can post?
Old 09-30-2018, 11:08 PM
Jon Canfield

Here’s an example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5C9FCE01-EC8B-48FC-947D-22A8C26725BB.jpg (7.9 KB, 620 views)
File Type: jpg 133B5466-81B4-431A-93A6-9DB56A7565EF.jpg (6.5 KB, 614 views)
Old 10-01-2018, 07:17 AM
Peter F

Huge congrats to you Jon. How great was getting that letter in the mail? Really happy that pack is getting to your collection.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:14 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Apologies for not posting this in the "tobacco pack" thread, but I wanted to share a very exciting discovery with the Board. As many of you know, I have been collecting baseball related cigarette packs for 25+ years now. Although my collection is pretty advance, there are still a handful of packs I've never come across, so it makes adding to my collection incredibly difficult. I'm at the point now that the 10-15 remaining packs I need are either unknown, or there is only a handful of copies that exist, and those reside in collections of old-timers or the whereabouts of the packs have been lost to time. The pack below is one such example.

To say that T231 Fan cigarettes cards are rare is an understatement. In fact, to date, only 3 examples of the cards have ever surfaced, Frank Baker, Larry Gardner and Carson Bigbee. What's incredible, however, is that about 15 years ago while doing research on the brand, I came across an old black and white photocopy of a Fans cigarette pack. It had appeared on the front cover of a cigarette newsletter in 1984. In an effort to track the box down, I contacted the publisher of the newsletter, many advanced cigarette pack collectors, and literally anyone else I could think of, but to no avail - no one had ever seen the pack beyond the newsletter, or knew what had happened to the gentleman's collection that was featured. I've been on the lookout for the pack ever since, and until recently, had resided myself to the real possibility that I'd never find it.

Fast forward to last week. Out of the blue, I received a letter in the mail (not email!) from a gentleman who ended up with the pack 40+ years ago. After some negotiation, we arrived at a price (a very steep price!), but the pack is now mine. The inner slide is missing, but the condition is incredible. So, for the first time, here is a picture of a T231 Fans cigarette box. I hope others can appreciate the pack as much as I do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
I only have the very small image in board member Bobby Burrell's "Vintage Hockey Collector" guide book. I will copy the tiny image from there here, if he wants me to take it down I will but it is the only copy I have ever seen of it...

The set includes a card of the Stanley Cup itself as well and has been on my wantlist for years without seeing one for sale. One of the best Hockey sets ever made in my opinion.

Complete Set of the C144 Champ's Cigarettes Hockey Set that sold several years ago at Heritage (check out the Stanley Cup card):
https://sports.ha.com/itm/hockey-car...a/7024-80064.s

Stanley Cup card alone:
https://sports.ha.com/itm/hockey/192...Results-012417

I don't want to hijack your thread but here are some of the C140 Canadian Athlete Series, this is BY FAR the most difficult of the various Mixed Sport Athlete sets from the early 1920's in Canada (the other being V122 Willard's Chocolate and V31 Dominion Chocolate), the backs are somewhat on topic as they feature coupons for discounts for sporting goods (often baseball) which may account for their rarity today...
2 great stories in one.

Congrats to the OP. One heck of a P/U for you!

Thanks to Rhett as well for sharing that hockey card info.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:02 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Who says smoking isn't cool...says so right on the pack. LOL
Old 10-01-2018, 10:12 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Such a cool item...and if any of you have not been to Jon's site, it is incredible!

Congrats!

Joshua
Old 10-01-2018, 11:00 AM
pete ullman

WOW! Congrats Jon...1 BIG step closer!!!!
Old 10-01-2018, 11:02 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-01-2018, 12:03 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Great score, Jon!
Old 10-01-2018, 02:07 PM
Paul

This is tremendous — what a great story and write-up! Thanks for sharing!

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 10-02-2018, 07:02 AM
Art Martineau

Default Fan Cigarettes pack

Great pick up Jon! Amazing pack.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:16 AM
Tom Boblitt

Congrats Jon! Great to see something fall into the right person's lap the way it should!
Old 10-02-2018, 07:48 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default I believe

so I continue to continue...…… Wow - super looking pack - congratulations!
Old 10-02-2018, 09:33 AM
PeterB

Congrats Jon and nice story.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:56 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

When you receive it, please make sure there isn't a card stuck inside. Maybe even a baseball treasure! Leon, how many baseball subjects are known besides your Baker.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:41 AM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
When you receive it, please make sure there isn't a card stuck inside. Maybe even a baseball treasure! Leon, how many baseball subjects are known besides your Baker.
There are 3 total cards known. Baker and Bigbee, and then Gardner was recently discovered.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:55 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Incredibly Rare Cigarette Pack Discovery

Does anyone know the whereabouts of the Bigbee? There is a picture of it in Lipset's encyclopedia, but Lew hadn't seen it personally and didn't know who owned it.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Sold Baker with the collection. As said, 2 are known and there is a xerox of another. Some day a stack of them will show up .
Old 10-05-2018, 06:13 PM
Bill Gregory

Congratulations, Jon. I live for reading stuff like this. Good luck getting those last few impossible pieces to finish your collection. I hope you find them.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:43 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Insane!
Old 10-09-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Sold Baker with the collection. As said, 2 are known and there is a xerox of another. Some day a stack of them will show up .
When you say a xerox, you literally mean a copy of one someone has posted up? I believe in rarity and admiration, but I don't see many posting Ty Cobbs and Honus Wagner t206's in their man cave in black and white photos and getting much kick out of it. This is intriguing to me that the rarity exists and is sought after (unknown to me personally), but I also find it kind of funny that someone took a xerox of a card and is now known in the same circle as one of the people with originals...

Share more on this if you could please Leon. Thank you in advance.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:56 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

He's not saying the xerox copy has any value, he's saying it's proof that there is a third example. Back in the days before the internet, people used to mail cards or photocopies across the country to the people who were compiling checklists and identifying card variations.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:01 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Can anyone ID these Cig packs?

Can anyone ID the years of these Cigarette packs?

I MAY be able to pick them up. Should I?

Thanks,

Fred
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cig 1.jpg (72.9 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg Cig 2.jpg (65.1 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg Cig 3.jpg (62.4 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg 4 Bagger 1.jpg (70.7 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg 4 Bagger 2.jpg (71.2 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg 4 Bagger 3.jpg (72.8 KB, 225 views)
Old 10-24-2018, 02:53 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Fred = They are newer, not too scarce and not worth too much. I would leave them be. They have a little value just not much.
I am still trying to get over the Fans Cigarette pack discovery. IT really is a great find.

Last edited by Leon; 10-24-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:22 PM
Jon Canfield

Thanks again Leon. Since I originally posted, the pack arrived and I have it in hand now. The colors are obviously much more vibrant than the original photo I posted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0100[1].jpg (44.7 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0101[1].jpg (40.1 KB, 157 views)

Last edited by canjond; 10-24-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:23 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Fred = They are newer, not too scarce and not worth too much. I would leave them be. They have a little value just not much.
I am still trying to get over the Fans Cigarette pack discovery. IT really is a great find.
Thanks Leon!

Fred