NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-18-2017, 09:41 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Removing fake autograph from vintage photo

I won Lot 1 in last night's RMY auction - cool Gehrig photo with a signature/inscription from Mrs. Gehrig.

http://rmyauctions.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=26525

-How hard will it be to remove the ink from this?
-Should I even attempt it myself or pay a professional to do it?
-And if I do get it removed and then submit to PSA for authentication will they "qualify" it somehow?

I recall posts about this subject in the past but would love to hear from someone who has attempted this. Obviously it's a pretty cool photo and I don't want to ruin it. But leaning strongly towards removing the fake stuff.

Thanks and Happy Fathers day to the dads out there.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:03 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

If it was signed by a true forger or a little kid, I might think about removing it...but if it's definitely Eleanor that signed it, then I'd leave it if it was me.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:34 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

True maybe a tougher call and I should give it more thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
If it was signed by a true forger or a little kid, I might think about removing it...but if it's definitely Eleanor that signed it, then I'd leave it if it was me.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:44 AM
Peter Spaeth

I would think the inscription has historical significance in and of itself. I wouldn't touch it. But if you want to, there are people who likely could do it and leave no trace.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:37 PM

Leave it alone.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:38 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Leave it alone.
Agreed. It's not forged but ghost signed by his wife. I'd keep it as is and enjoy the connection to him.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:02 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Leave it alone. There's a difference between a forgery and what you have. If it bothers you that much, sell it to another collector who can appreciate it for what it is and buy another Gehrig photo.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:52 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Steve,
that is a great item just as is. I say leave it alone.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 06-19-2017, 07:20 AM
Brendan Mullen

Don't remove it. It's not a true "forgery". By the way, whomever consigned this to RMY made a nice little profit. I believe it was purchased a month or so ago in Mears Auctions for like $500ish....
Old 06-19-2017, 10:33 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I will leave it as is. Thanks for all the comments. Was consigned by a board member I am pretty sure.

I realize the historical significance of the Eleanor signature, however I have a sneaking suspicion it would have sold for multiples of what I paid for it had it not bore her inscription. Whether its $500 or $900, that's way cheap for that portrait of Lou. Putting aside the historical importance of her signature and the story behind it, unsigned this is a pretty top tier Gehrig photo.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:45 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

As a photograph, rather than an autograph person, I would prefer the signature not be there-- However, I'd leave it there, because it might be hard and expensive to remove and the signature may still be viewable. Plus, for a photograph the Mrs. Gehrig provenance is nice.

These days, many artists put their signatures on the back of the photo or painting rather than the front, so as to not distract.

Last edited by drcy; 06-19-2017 at 12:07 PM.