NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-15-2017, 08:33 PM

Default Tin Types: "New Views of Two Old Men," SABR June 2017 Newsletter

I recently had the opportunity to work with Mark Fimoff of SABR and fellow Net 54 member Bruce Garland on an article for SABR's June newsletter authenticating circa 1874 tin types of Joe Battin and Tim Murnane. Link to the newsletter is below - would appreciate your feedback.

https://sabr.box.com/shared/static/b...yf3zthlf9m.pdf

Leon - not sure if this belongs on the main page or in the Memorabilia section but please move if it's more appropriate to put there.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:41 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That is some neat identity analysis on those. Tintypes and such could probably go on either side, I would say. Nice work!!
Old 06-16-2017, 05:29 AM

Thanks Ryan. Mark did a great job as usual. With this article, the great Ruth postcard piece, and Mark's work on both, there is a lot for Net 54 to be happy about.
Although these players are not in uniform, they were teammates on the Philadelphia team in 1874, and the photographer is from Philadelphia. I think it very possible that are more tintypes from that team out there. I hope more come out as a result of the article. I also wonder how many confirmed major leaguer tintypes are out there.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgar3 View Post
Thanks Ryan. Mark did a great job as usual. With this article, the great Ruth postcard piece, and Mark's work on both, there is a lot for Net 54 to be happy about.
Although these players are not in uniform, they were teammates on the Philadelphia team in 1874, and the photographer is from Philadelphia. I think it very possible that are more tintypes from that team out there. I hope more come out as a result of the article. I also wonder how many confirmed major leaguer tintypes are out there.

Hopefully, some members can shed some light on this? Also, I want to thank a few members who helped inform me in the beginning process of researching these. Thanks goes out to Leon, Jimmy (19cbb), Rob (ramram) and Scott B.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:41 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisguy View Post
Hopefully, some members can shed some light on this? Also, I want to thank a few members who helped inform me in the beginning process of researching these. Thanks goes out to Leon, Jimmy (19cbb), Rob (ramram) and Scott B.
I don't know if there is going to be a shedding light moment?
It seems the analysis is very detailed. I am not sure how much more we can glean?
As for the tintype being Murname, it looks like him but I am still not 100% on it. I have less of a leap of faith on the tintype of Battin and I think that does look like him.
In my short time of searching for tintypes I haven't seen very many, if any, major leaguers or even identified players. I know there are some out there and they are few and far between. And anytime I get a chance to show this puppy, and be a little on topic, is good for me. Would always love to see some other baseball action tintypes if they are out there. And I sure hope that pitcher scoots back after the pitch!!

Old 06-16-2017, 07:44 AM
GaryPassamonte

Way to go, Ryan.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:03 AM
Derek Granger

I really enjoyed reading your piece on SABR. Nice work. Not much to add on my end.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 06-16-2017, 04:52 PM
GaryPassamonte

Leon- Not a tintype, but an early cdv from Hoboken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hoboken.jpg (39.9 KB, 89 views)
Old 06-17-2017, 06:26 AM

Default Early scenes of the game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte View Post
Leon- Not a tintype, but an early cdv from Hoboken.
Gary, I really enjoy seeing those early scenes of the game! Great CDV!

Leon- Great tintype also! Definitely have not come across many action scenes, if any like that on a tintype!
Old 06-17-2017, 06:49 AM

Gary, really like that cdv, Leon, I remember that action tintype, excellent.
On the Murnane Id I was not sure either, that is why I asked Mark to take a look. If says ok, I am totally convinced. His expertise is amazing.
The only other image of Murnane I have is the 1877 Boston composite, where he has changed the name from "Murnan" to "Murnane". This composite was given to Murnane by fellow writer Jake Morse.
Murnane is actually in the writer's wing of the Hall of Fame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2408.jpg (67.8 KB, 65 views)
Old 06-17-2017, 06:55 AM

I really liked seeing the earlier game action photos, maybe there should be a new thread, but in the meantime here are 2 more from the early 1860's (at least). Hope the are straight and viewable. I have info on them if anyone is interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2592.jpg (63.4 KB, 48 views)
Old 06-17-2017, 06:57 AM

Sorry, only 1 came out. Hopefully the other one is here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2593.jpg (66.6 KB, 49 views)
Old 06-17-2017, 07:02 AM

1869 Jarvis field Harvard, by George Kendall Warren. I wish it was from the Red Stocking Vs Harvard game that was also played there that year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2589.jpg (61.7 KB, 47 views)
Old 06-17-2017, 11:55 AM
GaryPassamonte

Nice images. Game action shots are so difficult to find. I've only had three in over 25 years of looking.