NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-12-2017, 11:39 PM

Default Am I limiting my options too much going SGC only?

I really like the look of SGC holders. I want to slowly acquire SGC graded vintage Jackie Robinson cards. Am I limiting my options too much?

Eventually looking at acquiring low grade Leaf, Bowman, and 52 Topps, the rest my eye is content around what I can find in SGC 50+ range. The hunt is the fun part and I'm in no hurry.

Anyone wanna make a case for best card, any holder? Screw the holder entirely?

Last edited by Dewey; 06-12-2017 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:38 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=240530
Since the majority of Jackie Robinson cards are post-war in sets chased by PSA Set Registry guys, you will have a smaller pool of cards to consider buying. Not all cards in PSA slabs are overpriced, and BVG slabs will normally save you money compared to PSA/SGC.
It really depends on you. Do you want to wait around for the right cards to come along. Would you enjoy doing the PSA set registry for Jackie or others? When do you plan to resell these cards?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:06 AM

I just did two eBay searches, "Jackie Robinson SGC" and "Jackie Robinson PSA" The SGC search found 77 results. The PSA search found 374 results.
Based on these searches, it may take longer to collect SGC cards.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:56 AM

You could always submit PSA or BVG cards to SGC. I mean, that involves paying money for a little bit of black matting, but you could do it.

You could also buy them raw, which will save you money, and them submit them to SGC.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:46 AM
Paul

Collect what you want, but in the end a PSA graded card will always be worth more than an SGC card , that's just the way it is....like it or not.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:48 AM
Steve Birmingham

As the others are saying, it all really depends on what you want, both from the collection, and sometime later when you're done with it.

I like SGCs holders too. But I have cards in a few different holders, and the vast majority of my cards are raw.

If you know the sets well, and can handle a bit of risk - how much risk depends on the venue, in person buys are less risky than ebay- I'd say go with ungraded, or go with a card you like no matter the holder. That's barring the really questionable holders of course.

If you want or need confidence as a buyer, then buying cards from any of the three major companies should be fine.

PSA will probably always sell for more as long as the registry competition thing is still popular. People will pay more for higher grade cards, and that raises the price of lower grade cards. The good thing is you'll get back more if you sell later. The downside is that you'll pay more now.

SGC is good for the holders, but while I'm a fan I'm not liking the direction they've gone lately. I think there are some bargains to be had, and if they get worse, maybe some really great deals if the cards cross at all.

Beckett is ok, I don't know all that much about them as graders. I see a pretty wide range of apparent grades for the same number, but I mostly look at prewar which isn't their specialty.

Steve B
Old 06-13-2017, 12:53 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallpaul2002 View Post
Collect what you want, but in the end a PSA graded card will always be worth more than an SGC card , that's just the way it is....like it or not.
^^This whole statement is true^^

Now the part all the PSA people seem to leave out. They cost more to buy so yes they better sell for more. A long time seller of graded cards said the profit margin is almost exactly the same no matter what one of the big 3 you buy/sell. Yes SGC cards sell for less than PSA but that also means they are cheaper to buy.

The most important part of the previous post. Collect what you want. I have slabs from all 3.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:54 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I have slabs from all 3.
As do I but I prefer the way the card looks in the SGC holder and also feel they are more consistent and accurate graders, at least when I am submitting. I do not care for the politics and games at PSA but it is true that they have the audience.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:58 PM

Thanks for the comments. Food for thought. My confidence in buying raw isn't there yet.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:04 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Sgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
I really like the look of SGC holders. I want to slowly acquire SGC graded vintage Jackie Robinson cards.

Eventually looking at acquiring low grade Leaf, Bowman, and 52 Topps, the rest my eye is content around what I can find in SGC 50+ range. The hunt is the fun part and I'm in no hurry.
Since you like the look of SGC holders I'd go for what you like especially if your not going to do the registry. Purchase what you can find and afford in the SGC holders and if there's something in a PSA holder that you like crack and submit and/or crossover. If your not comfortable with the raw, at this point, just purchase in either of those two slabs. I personally wouldn't purchase a JR in a BVG.

Have fun with it and let's see your additions as you go.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:43 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
I really like the look of SGC holders. I want to slowly acquire SGC graded vintage Jackie Robinson cards. Am I limiting my options too much?

Anyone wanna make a case for best card, any holder? Screw the holder entirely?
Personally,

I think most PSA demands a premium for the "Name". I have found recently that their standards are becoming way too strict and SGC is more in line with that I think. Being a Robinson collector myself, I would say go with the best deal no matter the holder. I have a SGC 84 53 Topps PSA 7 49 Bowman and a BVG 6.5 55 topps. You can always cross over to SGC, but why miss out on a good deal and a good card if the opportunity presents itself You know what I mean?
Old 06-14-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE View Post
...but why miss out on a good deal and a good card if the opportunity presents itself You know what I mean?
This is the very argument I've been having with myself. Am I the only one who argues with himself? Thanks.

I'm not into the registry thing. And I'm not yet sure on how I want to display the cards, if at all.
I just think those SGC holders are slick. But then again these are the new shoes I just bought.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:52 AM
Ben North

Quote:
This is the very argument I've been having with myself. Am I the only one who argues with himself? Thanks.

I'm not into the registry thing. And I'm not yet sure on how I want to display the cards, if at all.
I just think those SGC holders are slick. But then again these are the new shoes I just bought.

Sounds like you want the SGC holders. For me the biggest problem with SGC slabs is they mark/scratch up really easy. Because of that I keep mine in graded card sleeves.

Can't blame you, I have cards from all 3 but 99% are in SGC holders because they look amazing compared to the other 2. I usually buy raw and then have them graded. For me it is by far the cheapest way to end up with graded cards.

SGC has some amazingly cheap specials for members. I am sending in on the $5 and $8 per card specials this month.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:20 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

I have zero loyalty to any grading company. PSA graded cards do command a high price for certain cards. In my collection I have cards that I had graded by psa because they are more valuable that way. I have cards graded by Beckett and sgc because I purchased them that way. I definitely can't agree with liking the way SGC holders look. They look and feel cheap. Psa is neither here nor there in terms of looks. I like Beckett look the best and it feels far superior then both.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:12 PM

When I'm grading I use this to decide where to send my cards.

Pre-War goes to SGC. I would say 85% of the cards in the large auction catalogs are in SGC slabs, if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

Modern stuff like Chrome or Finest goes to Beckett. People want a shot at that black label 10.

Everything else I use PSA. A leader and the registry does not hurt.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:31 PM

Seems reasonable. Still reflecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingheroes View Post
When I'm grading I use this to decide where to send my cards.

Pre-War goes to SGC. I would say 85% of the cards in the large auction catalogs are in SGC slabs, if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

Modern stuff like Chrome or Finest goes to Beckett. People want a shot at that black label 10.

Everything else I use PSA. A leader and the registry does not hurt.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:55 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
^^This whole statement is true^^

Now the part all the PSA people seem to leave out. They cost more to buy so yes they better sell for more. A long time seller of graded cards said the profit margin is almost exactly the same no matter what one of the big 3 you buy/sell. Yes SGC cards sell for less than PSA but that also means they are cheaper to buy.
Excellent point.