NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-20-2017, 02:31 PM

Default National Booth(s) Needed

Hi guys

I am in need of a booth at this years National Convention. I normally have no problems getting one in March, but this year they were sold out. I've been on a waiting list for a few months and thought I would try here. If anyone has a booth or a few booths and might not be able to make the show, I will gladly pay cost or above the cost of the tables to take them off your hands. I appreciate it in advance if anyone can help out. I'm going to the show anyways, it would just be nice to have a "home base" to show off some stuff and have a place to sit.

Feel free to e mail, call, or let me know if you can help out and I look forward to seeing you guys there.

Rhys Yeakley

614-551-9761

themodo@hotmail.com
Old 06-21-2017, 07:03 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I heard they were sold out while I was set up at a local show last weekend. I am a little surprised.

This was copied to to the front page too for a little extra help. Good luck...

Last edited by Leon; 06-21-2017 at 07:04 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:31 AM
Rich Klein

Their web site also shows sold out. It's better to have extra demand than supply so just keep at it.

Rich
Old 06-26-2017, 12:11 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

A friendly bump to try to help but my guess is it is looking bleak for a table....

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
Hi guys

I am in need of a booth at this years National Convention. I normally have no problems getting one in March, but this year they were sold out. I've been on a waiting list for a few months and thought I would try here. If anyone has a booth or a few booths and might not be able to make the show, I will gladly pay cost or above the cost of the tables to take them off your hands. I appreciate it in advance if anyone can help out. I'm going to the show anyways, it would just be nice to have a "home base" to show off some stuff and have a place to sit.

Feel free to e mail, call, or let me know if you can help out and I look forward to seeing you guys there.

Rhys Yeakley

614-551-9761

themodo@hotmail.com
Old 06-26-2017, 02:14 PM
Banned

so tables are really sold out? wow. is that a first?
Old 06-26-2017, 02:18 PM
Robert Williams

Maybe everyone that has been hoarding their museum pieces want to take advantage of the higher prices to finally move some stuff?
Old 06-26-2017, 02:37 PM

It's probably because they will have fewer booths than usual.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:19 PM

I usually call in March/April when my schedule is more firm and have always had my choice of at lest 40-50 booths. I figured I would be safe this year and contact them in Feb and was told "sorry we are sold out". I asked why they did not just make more booths available since there is apparently a hefty wait-list and was told they were already at capacity with the fire marshal. This show is in the same hall as the National has been for the last 15 years in Chicago and it used to have over 1000 dealers but now they sell out at about 400. Seems to me like they are closing the door on a lot of dealers that could make the show better. I guess this is why the show is not what it used to be. Take away the corporate booths and auction houses and you are looking at about 200-300 dealers there to sell stuff. In the 1990's 200 booths would have been a local show at the armory, now its the "National Convention." Go figure.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:42 PM
Ted Henschel

I'm pretty sure it is the same exact layout and amount of dealers/tables as the last 3 Chicago nationals. they used to use the side room for dealers but I think the last time they did that was in 2008.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:01 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
This show is in the same hall as the National has been for the last 15 years in Chicago and it used to have over 1000 dealers but now they sell out at about 400. Seems to me like they are closing the door on a lot of dealers that could make the show better. I guess this is why the show is not what it used to be. Take away the corporate booths and auction houses and you are looking at about 200-300 dealers there to sell stuff. In the 1990's 200 booths would have been a local show at the armory, now its the "National Convention." Go figure.
This is why I don't set up anymore and don't really make it a priority to attend. I am a hard core collector and part time dealer and if it's not a big deal to me, what about the casual collector? All of the quality items go to auction and a lot of what is offered is regular run of the mill items. For those who never attended a pre Internet National you have no idea of how good they used to be.

I am not interested in new items, but I understand many are and everyone needs to be catered to, but the National in general has sold out to the sponsors and Tri Star. They could care less about the dealer or collector. It's a money grab for the people who run this show full time. What a joke. They get the sheep to flock to them then wear their sport coat and ride around in a golf cart acting like they're some kind of collecting royalty.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:44 AM
Rich Klein

I'll disagree with one thing. One of the reasons a couple of people are in carts is on the off-chance something occurs on the other side of the floor which needs their attention, they can get their much quicker. That's also why the booths of the dealer executive board is in the middle of the show floor. That way, the dealer board can fan out and assist anywhere at a minute's notice.

I have, and always will, provide constructive criticism of certain aspects of the National or where the show has been held (IE Atlantic City). but there are logical reasons for people such as John and the security head of the National to be in golf carts and I guarantee you it's NOT to lord over the show. And yes, in the spirit of full disclosure I know John and his family for more than 35 years now and they all work extremely hard throughout both the year and during the show on the National.

As for corporate sponsors, I also remember the days of no such thing (or very limited) as a corporate sponsor but that ship sailed a long time ago. The National could not exist in it's current state without the corporates. And many of the corporates, especially Panini (for us) have provided assistance to our twice a year Adat Chaverim non-profit show.

Last edited by Rich Klein; 06-28-2017 at 03:34 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:13 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

The show promoters and dealers don't care about collectors. If they did, the National would return to other parts of the country (west coast and south). The only thing that will cause this change is pressure from the corporate sponsors. I'm actually surprised that the corporate sponsors haven't demanded a west coast show.
Larry
Old 06-28-2017, 09:00 AM
Rich Klein

We had a long thread on this when Mike Berkus was still living and he commented on some of the issues with the National. To paraphrase our president: Who knew the National could be so complicated. I'll try to get that thread up in a bit.

Here is the thread from 2009 -- some salient points still operational

http://net54baseball.com/showthread....ht=Mike+Berkus

Last edited by Rich Klein; 06-28-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:14 AM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

I thought this was a thread about Rhys needing a booth.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 06-28-2017, 10:36 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

If the national was about collectors Rhys would have a booth. The national would exist if there was no full time national staff. Collectors are what drives the show, not a bunch of guys who think they know what's best. One of the main reasons why people don't attend anymore is because the show has only been held in Chicago, Cleveland, or AC. People on the west coast say screw it. The show staff doesn't care because they have their Panini money.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:59 PM
Al Richter

CU discussion

https://forums.collectors.com/discus...ational#latest
Old 06-28-2017, 03:09 PM
Larry Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
If the national was about collectors Rhys would have a booth. The national would exist if there was no full time national staff. Collectors are what drives the show, not a bunch of guys who think they know what's best. One of the main reasons why people don't attend anymore is because the show has only been held in Chicago, Cleveland, or AC. People on the west coast say screw it. The show staff doesn't care because they have their Panini money.
Well why don't all the "real collectors" have one out west? No corporate sponsors, no full time employees, just collectors and traders.
Sounds like a cinch
Old 06-28-2017, 03:31 PM
Rich Klein

I'm trying to read the tea leaves between this board and the CU discussion as to when the tables/booths were sold out. My guess is that sometime very early this year the last available booth was sold.

As Rhys said, he waited till March to call only to find out he was on the waiting list.

I would think, going forward, Rhys might reserve a table/booth for the National at an earlier time and if he can not set up, then off-load the table/booth. That is, if his schedule permits him to know that far out. If not, then the suggestion I made might be the answer.

Also, I do agree that Rhys has a fairly unique specialty and therefore would add quite a bit to the show.

But sometimes, planning wins out.

Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 06-28-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:56 PM

Hi Guys

I only ever wait because sometimes I buy an entire block of four items to sell a bunch of stuff, and sometimes I just set up a photo booth and I dont know which option I want until after the new years when my schedule is a little more solidified. I have a priority 9 or something like that so I am not in any way saying I could not have had a booth if I had reserved one earlier. I just dont get the point of closing the door on hundreds of dealers that could make the show better by deciding a half year in advance that they are going to limit the show floor to a fraction of what it used to be in a hall that could land a B-27 bomber in all the empty space at the end of the hall.

This was really not meant to be a post bashing the show. If I did not think it was worth going to, I would not be asking for a table and offering to pay twice the cost. I just do not understand, from a business perspective, why you would ever limit the number of dealers if they are lining up willing to pay thousands and thousands of dollars for a section of concrete with two card tables in the middle of it when there is a limitless amount of concrete on that convention floor.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:10 PM
Rich Klein

Rhett:

That's what I figured as to why you wait. Makes sense to me. One person on the CU board mentioned he procrastinated and he took responsibility for his delay.

I do know that one of the National issues is exactly how many dealer tables/booths to have and they think of many reasons to either expand or contract. I'm sure they have done the math and the logic for either reason.

Perhaps a small block of 5 or so booths can be kept open for people with unique merchandise for sale.

Now, at the small show I run, in case I'm ever oversold by 1-2 tables, I can always remove a table or two of my material and open that up to a vendor. The National can't quite do that however

regards
rich
Old 06-28-2017, 05:56 PM
A.J. Johnson

Wondering if there's a small ballroom/space close by that you could rent out and recruit the dealers that were shut out of a booth. I know I'd walk over to check out more tables if it was close enough
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 06-28-2017, 06:48 PM
Scott Russell

ooooh, there's a demented part of me that loves this idea. Of course you'd probably be blackballed from the national forever, especially when your advertising hit.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-28-2017, 08:06 PM

Not a bad idea. Maybe ill just rent out a small room at a hotel conference room and bring a bunch of photos to show off and anyone who wants to geek out over photography could come hang out! It would be way cheaper, I could buy food for everyone and it would still be less than the National charges There is never anything to do after the show ends (except for the Net 54 dinner) anyways.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:21 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default Yes!

Rhys,
I am there, as long as you bring all your stuff (not just photos) so i can buy some of it.

Tim
Old 06-28-2017, 08:29 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
Wondering if there's a small ballroom/space close by that you could rent out and recruit the dealers that were shut out of a booth. I know I'd walk over to check out more tables if it was close enough
+1
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:09 AM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Reading this on my phone I first read it as "bathroom" and the image was both disturbing and hilarious.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:10 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by timn1 View Post
Rhys,
I am there, as long as you bring all your stuff (not just photos) so i can buy some of it.

Tim
Ditto! Just bring the Autographs also
Old 06-29-2017, 07:03 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
10 years from now, attendees of the "Underground National" will look back at this post as its seminal moment.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:29 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Not for this to come off as political (and note the bold word in this sentence), but I would offer that part of the reason that the National may have sold out earlier is that right or wrong, there may be a perception that economy will be on a better track than previous years. This would be applicable whether it was sold out because of more corporate or dealer involvement. I don't think it's the entire reason, but I would be willing to wager it has played a part.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:44 PM
Val Kehl

With the NSCC promoters seemingly being overly prejudiced toward Chicago and Cleveland to the exclusion of other areas of the USA, I would think that another group of promoters could successfully put on an annual "Winter National" in late February or early March (after Spring Training games have begun), alternating between FL and AZ each year.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
With the NSCC promoters seemingly being overly prejudiced toward Chicago and Cleveland to the exclusion of other areas of the USA, I would think that another group of promoters could successfully put on an annual "Winter National" in late February or early March (after Spring Training games have begun), alternating between FL and AZ each year.
Being in Florida, I love this idea.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:48 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Perhaps a "Net54 Winter National" in FL sponsored by SGC (which is now headquartered in FL) - followed by a "Net54 Winter National" in AZ sponsored by Beckett (which is headquartered in neighboring TX) - Leon, haven't you always wanted to be a promoter?
Val
Old 06-30-2017, 06:04 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I set up at 2 local shows regularly and see what the promoters go through.
Therefore the answer is an emphatic No, at this time.

Quote:
Perhaps a "Net54 Winter National" in FL sponsored by SGC (which is now headquartered in FL) - followed by a "Net54 Winter National" in AZ sponsored by Beckett (which is headquartered in neighboring TX) - Leon, haven't you always wanted to be a promoter?
Val
Old 06-30-2017, 09:21 AM
Rich Klein

Leon is right, it's amazing what we have to deal with sometimes.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:13 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I set up at 2 local shows regularly and see what the promoters go through.
Therefore the answer is an emphatic No, at this time.
Leon, I'm glad to see that you left the door ajar!
Old 07-01-2017, 09:22 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Indeed I did, Val.
Quote:
Leon, I'm glad to see that you left the door ajar!
Old 07-01-2017, 07:31 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default National

I checked the website, and it shows that there will be 280 "exhibitors". Many of the exhibitors are auction houses, corporate pavilions, case break areas, etc. There will probably be around 200 dealers selling cards and memorabilia.

If my memory is correct, 10 years ago there were closer to 450-500 exhibitors.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:02 PM
Ken McMillan

I would definitely do an Arizona National.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:12 PM
Rich Klein

I would (and I bet Leon would agree) love a Dallas National and although there are common sense reasons for one here: (Heritage, Panini, Beckett, Leaf, etc.) -- my guess is that we'll never have one here because

1) Too darned hot in the summer

2) Not enough hotel rooms downtown near the convention center

3) Arlington Convention Center not big enough in terms of size to host show

regards
rich
Old 07-02-2017, 12:24 AM

If you didn't have the autograph pavilion and got rid of those gigantic corporate spots in the middle of the show, I doubt you need an entire convention center. I live in Boise, Idaho and there are several civic centers and similar type buildings here that could fit 300 dealers, and Boise is small compared to most places.

I'm about ready to throw in the towel and just attend the show as a spectator and hook up with people when I can. I appreciate the help and the lively conversation!

Rhys
Old 07-02-2017, 06:24 AM
Rich Klein

For the foreseeable future, we have corporates and autographs

1) Corporates do add quite a bit to a show. They give average collectors (at least those who can afford to spend the admission fee plus parking) an actual opportunity to talk to real people who are important to their business. Some companies do a better job than others at bringing in people -- I know Panini have tons of people who run the day to day operation there every day. Plus you get to talk to other people as well depending on what you do. I do realize on this board that is not as important but as Leon would say, we are about 1/2 of 1 percent of all collectors. And for most of the other 99 percent it's cool to have those people here

I just realized I posted I'm in the 1 percent. Dang, we are all honored by being in such an exclusive group

2) The Autograph people are out of the show floor way. I don't have a problem with where they are. They are fine as they are and Tri-Star does a great job of bringing in guests. And if you purchase the VIP or Super VIP ticket there are always some cool guests you can get to sign for free. I personally have no issue with autograph guests.

3) Yes, the 1980's were great where tables were cheap but guess what, that was 30 years ago.

Rich
Old 07-02-2017, 03:22 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Wow, only 280 dealers. No wonder they "Sold Out" so fast. They just simply made the show smaller hoping nobody would notice.

I get the point of the Corporate Booths and everything but who really wants to pay $125-250 to get a all-access pass to the show for the chance to overpay for autographs and then get a few free promo cards from the carnival barkers at the Topps Booth?

It seems like they are moving away from the show being an actual card show to more of a Comic-Con type experience without any of the actual things that draw people to those types of shows.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 07-02-2017, 03:29 PM
Rhett Yeakley

An old link from Cardboard Connection talking about the 2013 version of the show...

http://www.cardboardconnection.com/n...up-takes-shape

The 2013 National Sports Collectors Convention is the biggest event of the year when it comes to sports cards and memorabilia. The 2013 National takes place at Chicago's Donald E. Stephens Convention Center from Wednesday, July 31 through Sunday, August 4. This is the event's 34th year.

About 600 dealers will be on hand, giving collectors a massive amount of cards and memorabilia to look at and purchase. About 50 corporate booths will also be set up, including major card manufacturers. The National is always a great place to find exclusive cards not available anywhere else. For many, the highlight will be meeting past and present athletes during autograph signings and photo opportunities.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 07-02-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:36 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
An old link from Cardboard Connection talking about the 2013 version of the show...

http://www.cardboardconnection.com/n...up-takes-shape

The 2013 National Sports Collectors Convention is the biggest event of the year when it comes to sports cards and memorabilia. The 2013 National takes place at Chicago's Donald E. Stephens Convention Center from Wednesday, July 31 through Sunday, August 4. This is the event's 34th year.

About 600 dealers will be on hand, giving collectors a massive amount of cards and memorabilia to look at and purchase. About 50 corporate booths will also be set up, including major card manufacturers. The National is always a great place to find exclusive cards not available anywhere else. For many, the highlight will be meeting past and present athletes during autograph signings and photo opportunities.
Yes, but you have to remember that was during the good ol' days of four years ago.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:31 PM
Ted Henschel

The article says dealers but it must mean booths... There hasn't been 600 different dealers in a very long time, maybe since the 2003 national. This year it looks like there is the same amount of booths sold as 2013 as well as 2011 based upon the list on the national website.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:37 PM
Steven

So they can't sell more booths b/c of fire code? That doesn't make sense...

Why don't they just sell more booth's? That just sounds like a win to everyone?
Old 07-02-2017, 10:42 PM
Val Kehl

What I would really like to see take place is an annual "Pre-War National." I would even settle for an annual "Pre-1980 National." No corporate booths, other than TPGs, auction houses, and hobby pubs, and no autograph signers.

Last edited by ValKehl; 07-02-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:53 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
What I would really like to see take place is an annual "Pre-War National." I would even settle for an annual "Pre-1980 National." No corporate booths, other than TPGs, auction houses, and hobby pubs, and no autograph signers.
Revolutionary idea

Oops!!!

that would be the Pre-National War.

Sorry

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:39 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
It's been a while but we used to have "pre-1980" shows in which as a dealer you had to display nothing after 1980 at your table. They did OK with the dealers but attendance was a bit off as our 1/2 of 1 percent of all collectors did not come out with enough fervor to make them truly successful to everyone.

I should add, I'm not against this concept at all, we just have to understand what the pros and cons are.

Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 07-03-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:05 PM
Val Kehl

Rich, I never knew there had been any "pre-1980" shows. Where were they held and how long ago?