NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-05-2009, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Default another collecting question

Posted By: Jim

I have another question for all of you guru's out there. One of the baseball pitcher card needed is that of Lou Fette and acoording to Beckett's the only "card" made while he was playing are 1936 and 1938 Wheaties box covers, the only other card is a newer 1990 Target. I do have one Wheaties cut out that of Carl Hubbell mainly just to have a good mix of different types of cards. Do you all consider Wheaties cut outs as "baseball caards"? Not only that, while the Hubbell is a good size and decent image of the player, the 1938 one of Fette is in my humble opinion not a very good image and having never seen a copy of the 1936 box cover of Fette, not sure about that one either. So I reckon my basic question is are Wheaties box covers considered "baseball cards"?

Old 03-05-2009, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

To me...they are not...too big in size. I'm sure others will disagree!

Old 03-05-2009, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

tomatoe or tomato?..... It's a personal question and each person has to decide for themselves on the Wheaties. I don't collect them but can certainly see how they could be considered cards. There are numerous cards that are cut from boxes so there is a lot of precedent for them being considered as cards. If I had to have a player and this was the only way to get one I would go for it...Good luck and good question!!

Old 03-05-2009, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark L

Definitely not tomatoe.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Red

Wheaties picture.
[linked image]

Old 03-05-2009, 08:29 AM
Administrator

So Red is that one for sale? and it seems to be another one of those either way type questions... They are rather large but so are the Sporting News suppliments that I kinda sorta consider to be "baseball cards"

Old 03-05-2009, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

At what point does a card become a poster? That's an awful big card but nice non the less.

marty

Old 03-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

At which point does a card become a poster?\

When you are selling, it's a card.

When you are buying, it's a poster.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken Wirt

Jim,

I think that a lot of the Wheaties cards of the 1930's were cut from smaller cereal boxes - at least smaller than a full-sized box. Seems like most of the cut-out cards are about postcard size, although a bit more square.

P.S. I only have one though, so I could be full of it!

Old 03-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

A Wheaties is enough of a card for me if I wanted a contemporary card of pitcher Fette.

Goudeys were big for there day, bigger than those predecessor tobacco cards, caramel cards, and strip cards. T3s were really big. Exhibits are big. M113s are 4 times as big as any of those. I'm ok with the Wheaties being deemed a card. Same for matchbook covers. And I'm ok with folks wanting cards that will fit in 9 pocket sheets. However, for folks who deem Exhibits too big to be a card, I hope they don't collect slabbed little cards unless they bust 'em outa the holders, those slabs are big, thick, and unwieldy.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Were these intended by Wheaties to be cut out of the boxes (perhaps indicated by a little scissors and dotted line)?

My Trade/Sale Page

Old 03-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Administrator

I seem to recall the cut line on my Hubbell, but the above Fette seems to be the whole side panel, and perhaps in this case the whole box may be better off not cut and saved? I do not know, and as to what is a "Baseball Card"? I'll pretty much stick to Beckett's... For now though I'm going to have to live with the 1990 Target card. Thanks for the input.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

It's not a baseball card, but it's looks more like one than the '38 Wheaties panel, which I've never liked, although I'm a big fan of several other Wheaties sets. It's remarkable that Lou never ended up on a card because he was quite a good pitcher for a couple years. I have a couple 1938 Wheaties ads (if you've never seem them, they're worth checking out) from Saturday Evening Posts, and Lou is featuring with several other baseball stars, and he's the only one not in the Hall of Fame today. I picked up this signed snapshot a few weeks ago. I'm guessing it dates from 1937 ...

Photobucket

Old 03-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Quite nice, Chris. Great photo!

Old 03-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

There are two other items that you can add to the Lou Fette checklist as well. Here is what I have for him...

Fette, Louis H. (Lou)
1938 Baseball Tabs
1937/38 Foto-Fun
1938 Wheaties (Ser. 10) 10
1938 Wheaties (Ser. 11)

I don't have him in either set but here is what the items look like in the 1938 Baseball tabs and the Foto Fun set

1938 Baseball Tabs:
[linked image]

1937/38 Foto Fun:
[linked image] [linked image]

-Rhett

Old 03-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john wondowski

George Burke Photo

[linked image]

Old 03-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Evans

A great debate.

To me, "cards" cut from boxes are first cousins of baseball cards, maybe "baseball box cards."

Old 03-06-2009, 07:04 AM
Administrator

I didn't know about the pin but my check list (becketts #11), also list a Worch cigar that isn't listed on other cheklist. I did know about the Foto-Fun and lo and behold there is one listed on epay as we write. What are the odds... now if I could just find that Holsum Bread Davenport....

Old 03-06-2009, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Dave Davenport has been seen with a Herpolsheimers back (I believe Frank Ward owns/owned it) and with a Standard Biscuit (D350-3) back.

There very well might be a minor league Worch card of Fette, as he was playing with St. Paul at the time they were being produced, however, I personally have never seen one (not that that means all that much).

-Rhett