NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-31-2014, 03:56 PM
Dave

Default Bout to pull the trigger...

Alright fellas..I'm about to pull the trigger on this. Any thoughts? Does any thing look outta sorts? Let me know. This is my biggest card purchase ever. Just want to be on the safe side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4051.jpg (74.2 KB, 825 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4049.jpg (76.7 KB, 816 views)
Old 05-31-2014, 04:47 PM
Graig Kreindler

Dave,

I can't comment on anything other than aesthetics here, but man, that's a gorgeous cars. I've always loved that image, especially the color. This will be one hell of a piece to add to your collection.

Someday, I'm gonna paint that damn pose, too.

Good luck with it!

Graig
Old 05-31-2014, 07:34 PM
Dave

Yeah it looks sweeeeett. just want to make sure it's not too good to be true....no one has any insight on this for me??????
Old 05-31-2014, 07:37 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

You really want to spend that much more for an 8?
Old 05-31-2014, 07:44 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
You really want to spend that much more for an 8?
....Not sure what you mean... I don't have this card... and I am getting it for a good deal. Just want to make sure it looks legit before I take the plunge.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:47 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Why not buy a great looking 5 or 6 and save the cash to buy other cool things? Then you don't have to worry (as much) about the card being altered, or cleaned up, etc since you'll have less invested in the grade.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:50 PM
Dave

I hear what you are saying...but I am getting this for a really good price. I am paying via paypal invoice so I feel secure about it- I can return it and get my money if there is anything funny with the card you know.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:53 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Well good luck, the card looks fine to me but I'm always very suspicious of really high grade.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:55 PM
Banned

Last edited by Rollingstone206; 02-25-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:01 PM
Dave

lol not craigslist... but listen here's the deal: worst case scenario- the card is not right. I return it for a full refund via paypal. Best case scenario- I score a really awesome card at a a great price. To me it seems like little risk high reward. At the end of the day, I know that I have to feel 100 percent right about it before I do it. The holder looks good, the card looks good, everything checks out..and I called paypal and they said I'm good if anything goes awry with the purchase. I know that it is possible dude could send me a reprint in the holder. I'm covered through paypal. Card could be altered or whatever- I'm covered through paypal. Bicem you said you would be suspicious of a high grade..is there anything i'm missing?

Last edited by davetruth; 05-31-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:07 PM
Tony N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetruth View Post
Bicem you said you would be suspicious of a high grade..is there anything i'm missing?
Generally speaking, some cards, not all, that grade high may have been professionally altered in the past. This board has seen it's fair share over the years.

Tony
Old 05-31-2014, 08:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

hOW good a price? If its too good to be true then there is a problem.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:15 PM
Bill Gregory

Dave,

I'm with Peter on this one.

Here's the exact same DiMaggio you're looking to buy:

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/.../2012/491.html

It sold in the 2012 Robert Edwards auction for $7,100.

You need to ask the person offering to sell this card how they came to own it.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 05-31-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:19 PM
Dave

honestly it could be too good to be true...it is a really good deal. So I guess when it comes to even graded cards, don't buy online unless you know the dealer is a given. But hypothetically you have the worry of getting altered cards in any deal, correct?. If the DiMaggio in question has been graded by SGC, and they missed the card being altered, where does that leave me as a buyer? There is a level of faith in any transaction, the fact that I have the paypal protection in my mind seems like it be a shot worth taking. Couldn't I just send the card in have it looked at, and have SGC confirm the grade?
Old 05-31-2014, 08:21 PM
Peter Spaeth

Pass. The card in the scan may not be the one you get. Common scam.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:23 PM
Dave

Default hmmm....

After seeing that auction i'm starting to feel iffy on it. But that's why I come to this board. I need to be educated. I wouldn't want to do something like this with out some help. I feel like I have some knowledge about cards, but this one might be a little out of my league. Thanks for all the help thus far. "In the multitude of counselors, there is wisdom"
Old 05-31-2014, 08:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

Think. Why would he sell that killer card to you at some cut rate price? NO legit reason. Who is the seller. References?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-31-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:24 PM
Banned

Last edited by Rollingstone206; 10-11-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:27 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
honestly it could be too good to be true...it is a really good deal. So I guess when it comes to even graded cards, don't buy online unless you know the dealer is a given. But hypothetically you have the worry of getting altered cards in any deal, correct?. If the DiMaggio in question has been graded by SGC, and they missed the card being altered, where does that leave me as a buyer? There is a level of faith in any transaction, the fact that I have the paypal protection in my mind seems like it be a shot worth taking. Couldn't I just send the card in have it looked at, and have SGC confirm the grade?
Well, I don't buy online unless I know the seller is reputable.

I don't see any evidence of the card in the picture you've provided being altered. The question here is "does the seller have the card in question"?

If this is somebody you're doing business with online, ask the seller to take a few other pictures of the card with them holding it, or their name/Ebay id in the picture with the card. If the seller is legit, they should have no problem doing this. If the seller is trying to scam you, they'll back out somehow.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:29 PM
Dave

guys...you are going to toast me... please be easy on me. lol. He wanted $2500. *anticipating incoming flaming arrows* AGAIN, the ONLY reason I was going to give it a shot was because of the paypal protection. I would never, ever do something like this, even on a much lower scale, without covering my bases. Sorry if I come off like an idiot. But I was trying to do my homework. Hence why I inquired here. Again, I know I have to stick to the old adage, "if it looks to good to be true, then it probably is".
Old 05-31-2014, 08:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Lol. Glad you asked. Be careful out there.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:31 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Good thing you asked here, it's a scam. No reason someone would pay $7100 and then offer it to you for $2500.

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2

Last edited by gregr2; 05-31-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:31 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
+1

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 05-31-2014, 08:32 PM

A buddy of mine paid 8 grand for a 1958 Topps Ted Williams PSA 10. Sent money through paypal, seller sent a package with delivery confirmation and return receipt. I was there when he opened the package and got two Upper Deck golf cards. Paypal wouldn't do anything about it because of the return receipt. The seller's address turned out to be fake and the scan was stolen. Looks very much like the case you're dealing with here.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:33 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Think. Why would he sell that killer card to you at some cut rate price? NO legit reason. Who is the seller. References?
Exactly.

We know the card being offered was sold by a reputable auction house within the last two years. We do not know what has happened to the card since then, as Card Target does not track 1941 Play Ball yet.

However, I did not see this card being sold on Ebay. So, that means either the seller acquired it through another auction house, or a private transaction. Either way, if you're being offered the card at a "great price", I'm wondering why you're getting such a great deal.

It's like somebody having a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA 4, and offering it on Ebay for $5,000. Why are they offering a card for a fraction of the card's worth?

Old 05-31-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Exactly.

We know the card being offered was sold by a reputable auction house within the last two years. We do not know what has happened to the card since then, as Card Target does not track 1941 Play Ball yet.

However, I did not see this card being sold on Ebay. So, that means either the seller acquired it through another auction house, or a private transaction. Either way, if you're being offered the card at a "great price", I'm wondering why you're getting such a great deal.

It's like somebody having a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA 4, and offering it on Ebay for $5,000. Why are they offering a card for a fraction of the card's worth?
You and I both know the answer. They either stole the card or stole the scan. They are waiting for the $2500 and will send him an empty package with a return receipt....there goes your paypal protection.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:36 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:

"Let's be careful out there."

Old 05-31-2014, 08:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

Bill, exactly what i had in mind.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:38 PM
Dave

Thanks guys, for real. Everything adds up to me passing on this one. I mean hey sometimes you can get lucky on something...but you have to be realistic. The facts don't add up. That's why I came here. You all have helped greatly. Thanks a lot.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:40 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Thanks guys, for real. Everything adds up to me passing on this one. I mean hey sometimes you can get lucky on something...but you have to be realistic. The facts don't add up. That's why I came here. You all have helped greatly. Thanks a lot.
So, where did you find this "deal"? And who is the seller?
Old 05-31-2014, 08:41 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
You and I both know the answer. They either stole the card or stole the scan. They are waiting for the $2500 and will send him an empty package with a return receipt....there goes your paypal protection.
I know. I'm just trying to demonstrate the thinking process that Dave should be employing.

Dave, when buying expensive cards, always buy from a reputable dealer. Somebody that deals in vintage and pre-war cards on a regular basis, and has an good reputation.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:42 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Bill, exactly what i had in mind.
I figured as much.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:53 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Happy to help, Dave.

One more thing. Going back to what Jeff said: why buy an 8? You could find a 7 (or even a 6) that looks just as nice, and you'll pay a hell of a lot less money for it. With the money you save, you could buy another really nice card (or two).

There's one thing you'll learn as you collect more. Buy the card, not the slab. Remember, you're paying for somebody else's opinion when you buy a graded card. There's great value to be found in cards if you look beyond that number on the flip. There are 6s that look better than 7s. There are 7s that look way better than 8s. Develop your eye.

BTW, don't ever feel stupid asking for help. That's why this forum is here. It's not only a place to share our collections, and to buy and sell cards safely. Net 54 is a great source of education. You didn't feel completely comfortable with this transaction. That's a good thing. That means your instincts were correct. You're already headed in the right direction.

Last edited by the 'stache; 05-31-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:56 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Question: If Paypal protection can be used if the card is fake, then why does having a Return Receipt make a difference?
Old 05-31-2014, 09:00 PM
Banned

Last edited by Rollingstone206; 02-25-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:04 PM
Banned

Last edited by Rollingstone206; 10-11-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:22 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingstone206 View Post
Maybe the seller could find him a 7 for $1250 then he could get another deal for $1250
Why would you be rolling your eyes over this?

Old 05-31-2014, 09:35 PM
Paul

Two additional things about this entire thread don't add up:

1. The photos of the card were taken by a camera phone. If you were going to steal a scan, wouldn't you just take the REA scan? Someone has the card in hand and is taking mediocre pics of it for some reason.

2. The original poster won't "out" the seller. Why not? I'm guessing the reason runs deeper than simple etiquette/empathy for the seller.

Just noticed a prior post by the original poster. I'm guessing this is related to that bogus European website that has been mentioned here before (years ago):

"I have a chance to buy some SGC graded cards from an international seller (Europe). I would pay via paypal invoice. I contacted Paypal and they said worst case scenario I would have to open a case if 1. I didn't receive the item or 2. It was not as described. Just wondering if I should take the chance..it seems like a chance that could really pay off, worse case scenario I have to wait to get my money returned if (God forbid) things didn't go smoothly. I just have some hesitation about it because of their location. I have done some research on the seller and also the cards in question and am confident that if I got the cards being pictured then I would be good, as they look legit (along with the holders). Is this something you might typically stay away from, or does the "protection" from Paypal make this a risk worth taking? I know that there are numerous things to be aware of here. Thanks in advance for you help."

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 05-31-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:08 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Alright fellas..I'm about to pull the trigger on this. Any thoughts? Does any thing look outta sorts? Let me know. This is my biggest card purchase ever. Just want to be on the safe side.
Unfortunately the days of deals are over, I bought many cards for great deals in the 1970's and 1980's. Those days were great, but they are gone forever.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 06-01-2014, 09:53 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
A buddy of mine paid 8 grand for a 1958 Topps Ted Williams PSA 10. Sent money through paypal, seller sent a package with delivery confirmation and return receipt. I was there when he opened the package and got two Upper Deck golf cards. Paypal wouldn't do anything about it because of the return receipt. The seller's address turned out to be fake and the scan was stolen. Looks very much like the case you're dealing with here.
This is one of the worst stories I have ever heard. I am shocked that Paypal did not stand behind the guarantee. Do you they expect us to all take videos of the box being opened?
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:24 AM
Dave

egbeachley posted :Question: If Paypal protection can be used if the card is fake, then why does having a Return Receipt make a difference?

I am wondering the same thing. Seems like any way you slice it the buyer could be screwed..

T206 collector - I got off the comp last nite before I could post more info of the site. It was antiques.com. And yes...the seller is in Russia. Please see my previous posts as to why I would even think that this was worth asking about (paypal protection)

Also you can see that the pics the guy has were taken with a phone (his reflection is seen in both pics lol) and not stolen from the auction website. But still super duper shady nonetheless. I know.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:32 AM
qualitycards

Quote:
And yes...the seller is in Russia.
From Russia? Didn't know that was a hotbed for vintage cards.
The only thing I buy from Russia is vodka
Old 06-01-2014, 11:55 AM
Ruben

Maybe the card was stolen somehow in a previous scam or something. Now it is being offered for sale at a discount outside the US since the card is stolen??
Guess only the original owner of that card can tell if it was stolen/scammed away at some point.

I would like to also know why PayPal did not protect the buyer as mentioned before just because the mail was registered???
Old 06-01-2014, 01:54 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
And yes...the seller is in Russia.
The odds of a deal from Russia being legitimate are only slightly better than being the lone beneficiary of a Nigerian prince's fortune.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:55 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Gee, this was a tough scam to spot.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:08 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Probably should have mentioned the Russia thing in post #1.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
The odds of a deal from Russia being legitimate are only slightly better than being the lone beneficiary of a Nigerian prince's fortune.
No disPutin that.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:59 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Default Bottled In Bond

From Russia Without Love
Old 06-01-2014, 03:04 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
Probably should have mentioned the Russia thing in post #1.
That would have been the first and last post of the thread.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:33 PM
Derek D@vis

This card sold on ebay 5 times between August and October last year. The scans on the first post were used on the 1st and 3rd auctions.

10/14/13 eBay Image jcl1336 v***b 28 $5,200.00
10/3/13 eBay Image jcl1336 u***e 29 $6,100.00
9/10/13 eBay Image d-drodeo j***a 8 $5,629.00
9/7/13 eBay Image d-drodeo o***c BIN $7,500.00
8/15/13 eBay Image d-drodeo v***b 22 $6,599.99