NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-22-2014, 03:02 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default SGC Response concerning new labels

This is from Sean Skeffington at SGC.

Thu 5/22/2014 3:49 PM

Hi Guys,

I have read the feedback concerning the recent changes at SGC, specifically the new label design. There were several factors that went in to the decision to change the label. Most of the factors were internal and tied to the fact that our old computer system could no longer be technically supported and there was no flexibility or control as to what information we could put on the label. As we decided to make a change to our computer system, a change to a new label was inevitable. It should be noted that the old label was not immune to criticism. If you look at your collection of SGC cards you will probably notice that the way in which the text appears on the label is inconsistent with important information often drifting into the lower green border. The old label was far from perfect or ideal, in many respects.

With that said, in the planning and designing of the new label we were quite mindful that some collectors are not comfortable with change of any kind. However there are times when change is necessary. Internally we needed a label
that could contain more information (we now have 4 lines of text area, instead of 3 lines). Having 4 lines of available space is necessary for our business going forward. Having a colored border would have made this difficult and cluttered.

In no way do we want to minimize the concerns of our customers, but after 15 years, any change would have prompted some criticism. We made the change with the best of intentions in mind and for a label that we feel is clean, versatile, consistent and provides another level of security.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sean Skeffington
SGC

Old 05-22-2014, 03:12 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Sean manned up. I like.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:14 PM
Greg Mitchell

Thanks for reply but as others have shown--the new line of info would not preclude the green border and the heading in general. Simply claiming some people never like change and the old flip had its critics is weak and does not explain why full re-design was needed or desired, or why these particular choices were made, especially since they make SGC look cheap--when one of its main draws was it looked kind of "classy." Odd move when 1) you're already #2 in the field and 2) your main advantage over #1 has been your looks and 3) there are financial reasons, in most cases, to prefer PSA.

Last edited by GregMitch34; 05-22-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:29 PM

I am curious if the flips will have any impact on resale value.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:47 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

i was just browsing the site, i typically visit often.
I could not find the 'SGC forums'
and i was looking at my Registry...and it list it, but when i click on 'my registered sets'.....its says nothing.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 05-22-2014, 03:52 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregMitch34 View Post
Thanks for reply but as others have shown--the new line of info would not preclude the green border and the heading in general. Simply claiming some people never like change and the old flip had its critics is weak and does not explain why full re-design was needed or desired, or why these particular choices were made, especially since they make SGC look cheap--when one of its main draws was it looked kind of "classy." Odd move when 1) you're already #2 in the field and 2) your main advantage over #1 has been your looks and 3) there are financial reasons, in most cases, to prefer PSA.
Valid points!
Old 05-22-2014, 03:52 PM
Ken McMillan

I entered my email to reset my password and it says e-mail unknown. Called and they said they are still working on site. What a fiasco.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:53 PM

Default Sgc.......

I have not looked at the new labels yet.....and granted,. there have been some issues with their gaskets....but, I would not think of sending my precious cards/scraps anywhere else....they are a 100% class act no matter what the label "looks" like.....if it includes more information, then they have really been listening to their customers.......information is the "key"....im not trying to bash PSA or anything, but SGC ROCKS.....more info on the SGC flip means more knowledge/value .....info is the key(besides protection/verification).....

PSA had trouble slabbing T206 Blank Backs as "NO VOUCHER" or "FACTORY MISPRINT" "NO HOLDER" ect.....where as SGC graders know the difference of recognizing a T206 printer's scrap....and slab them accordingly.....PSA misses the mark A TON of times on T206 rarities/ misprints......as one of my friends picks up a BROWN OLD MILL(from Ebay), and it is not even differentiated on the PSA flip! and, possibly the card was busted out of a SGC holder previously and relabeled as PSA AUTH to add value???HA!! what a joke!

PSA is clueless when it comes to the T206 rarities...and labeling them accordingly(sorry David)..

PSA
they just don't have the capacity to recognize/grade them appropriately....all my collector friends know where to take a true rare card....

SGC customer service is second to none.....of course mistakes happen ocassionally, but it's all how you handle the problem or concern, and SGC is untouchable there...I never believed in "GRADING" my cards for years, I eat and breathe T206 and know a scrap from a production card... but its almost a necessity now a days....I always look for the second opinion, and SGC has always been there for me....

I will check out the new flip/ design......as long as the cards are evaluated by those graders, they could write it in crayon for all I care.......
Old 05-22-2014, 03:55 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

If there is no turning back with the new label (which I really hope that's not the case) at least give your loyal customers a discount on re-holdering fees---especially since there was zero heads up about this.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:57 PM
Robert

It trust Sean and he is a man of his Word. That I know first hand through many submissions, phone calls etc. Though it's a bit frustrating, I must concur that they have the collectors interests in mind. Just my honest opinion.
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 05-22-2014, 03:58 PM
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
I entered my email to reset my password and it says e-mail unknown. Called and they said they are still working on site. What a fiasco.
I had no problem today re-setting my password. I also did an online submission and sent in a card today. Wonder if it will come back in a new flip?
Old 05-22-2014, 04:05 PM

Default I just read the other Thread...

I just read the other thread...............I do like the old"design" of the older label, but I still stand about my previous post....

as long as the pros there keep getting it right, then write mine in crayon....

graphics can be worked on......pure understanding takes years to develop...

respectfully,

John Vanderbeck

Last edited by mrvster; 05-22-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:10 PM
Isaac Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati View Post
If there is no turning back with the new label (which I really hope that's not the case) at least give your loyal customers a discount on re-holdering fees---especially since there was zero heads up about this.
One can hope, but this feels like a means to implement
a new revenue stream.

Classy of SGC at the minimum to at least try to provide all
here some form of clarification, instead of just a complete ignore.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:15 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol View Post
One can hope, but this feels like a means to implement
a new revenue stream.

Classy of SGC at the minimum to at least try to provide all
here some form of clarification, instead of just a complete ignore.
The new half-grade could arguably be a means to generate new revenue -- but don't they have to keep up with PSA on half-grades? However, creating new holders and flips to prevent fraud and to protect the cards can hardly be seen as a money grab.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:21 PM
Todd Schultz

Default 1,2,3,4

Um, how are there any more lines of text on these new flips than were already available on the old ones once you remove the bar code?

If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:24 PM
Jimmy

Thank you to Sean for providing some feedback, only time will tell what will really happen. I am still on the fence about what I should be investing my money in and may just take a chance on the new holders. Maybe I will just buy the older labeled graded cards for now and wait and keep an eye on prices. Thought about selling more ungraded as well, with all the changes to PSA and SGC grading (half-grades, holders) - seems like there is always a few issues that collectors mention on this board.

Jimmy
Old 05-22-2014, 04:35 PM
Daryl

I don't think I've ever seen a group of guys get so upset over color. Maybe SGC will let you choose the right flip colors to match your dresses.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:48 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

I'm not much of a slabby, so none of this really concerns me. Tangentially, though, I have always wondered why you (SGC) has felt compelled to put the single digit PSA-comparable grade on the flip. Seems to me like you are pinning yourselves down in PSA's shadow and resigning to #2. If you took that out, then the 4th line of text is moot.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:53 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Not trying to be a "tow the line guy" but I really do like the new flips just the way they are. I think they look classy with the hologram type background. As I told Sean, I will just have my pre and post May 2014 flips. I realize there are others who ONLY want one thing but as a type collector I have never only wanted uniformity. I do understand others concerns though. But I do like the way the new ones look quite a bit. I think (my opinion only) they are actually as good looking as the older ones....or darned close to it. Also, I have been told they actually look better in hand than they do from scans. I am sending in cards soon and will be happy to have the new flips.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:01 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

As an SGC slab collector, I think I'm almost more concerned about the size of the holder -- is it changed at all? Having SGC and PSA cards lined up back to back drives me crazy with the different dimensions of the slabs.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:42 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Thanks for addressing the issue Sean, but unfortunately the flips are still ugly and shouldn't have to be and it may cost SGC some business. If you're okay with it that's on you and your company.

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 05-22-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:49 PM
Jimmy

Maybe SGC can provide sleeves in the future, that would help with the uniformity that some collectors are looking for, so sets can look good together and consistent. There must be product out there already that can change what a holder looks like by just adding a plastic or felt sleeve.

Jimmy
Old 05-22-2014, 05:55 PM
Bill Gregory

This is what the new flip will look like, assuming no change to the slab or gasket.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 05-22-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:59 PM
Bill Gregory

And what it would like with the green border.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:09 PM
Gobucsmagic74

The new flip looks infinitely better with a green border IMO. Could someone add a simple poll where you select flip a) proposed flip or flip b) same new design with green border? If not I'll do it when I get home and have access to my computer. Maybe this will illustrate the point for SGC.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:23 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
The new flip looks infinitely better with a green border IMO. Could someone add a simple poll where you select flip a) proposed flip or flip b) same new design with green border? If not I'll do it when I get home and have access to my computer. Maybe this will illustrate the point for SGC.
I'll do one, Dan.

Edit: nm, Blackie is doing one already.

Last edited by the 'stache; 05-22-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:24 PM
Robert

Tried to do a poll Bill but I think I jacked it up........
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 05-22-2014, 06:39 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

What does Sean do at SGC? I didn't realize he was there.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:27 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Interesting... I hope since they have more space they can add more info, specifically about the T205 backs, id like to see, ie piedmont 42 back, or hassan 30, etc. t206's im sure most here would like the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
This is from Sean Skeffington at SGC.

Thu 5/22/2014 3:49 PM

Hi Guys,

I have read the feedback concerning the recent changes at SGC, specifically the new label design. There were several factors that went in to the decision to change the label. Most of the factors were internal and tied to the fact that our old computer system could no longer be technically supported and there was no flexibility or control as to what information we could put on the label. As we decided to make a change to our computer system, a change to a new label was inevitable. It should be noted that the old label was not immune to criticism. If you look at your collection of SGC cards you will probably notice that the way in which the text appears on the label is inconsistent with important information often drifting into the lower green border. The old label was far from perfect or ideal, in many respects.

With that said, in the planning and designing of the new label we were quite mindful that some collectors are not comfortable with change of any kind. However there are times when change is necessary. Internally we needed a label
that could contain more information (we now have 4 lines of text area, instead of 3 lines). Having 4 lines of available space is necessary for our business going forward. Having a colored border would have made this difficult and cluttered.

In no way do we want to minimize the concerns of our customers, but after 15 years, any change would have prompted some criticism. We made the change with the best of intentions in mind and for a label that we feel is clean, versatile, consistent and provides another level of security.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sean Skeffington
SGC

Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:29 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

I will add that if they did do a green border, it is immensely better. I do appreciate the response and its classy the concerns were not ignored...but as others have said, it's still really ugly. Again, the only reason for me is uniformity, so I am out. Green border, I'd be back in. There prerogative to change, mine not to support the change.

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 05-22-2014, 07:52 PM
Dave_Berg

Despite the new flips, I suppose cards will still float around in their holders
George E.

They should find a way to put the label info on the side, like how some coins have text on their edge, and then the slabs could be near to card size with no black or cloudy clear field surrounding it. Then they could change the label design all they want and it wouldn't matter because no one would be seeing it anyway.

Glad I could jump on the site today and solve all the problems. You are welcome, card collecting world. You are welcome.
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
What does Sean do at SGC? I didn't realize he was there.
VP of Operations.....I believe he had taken a hiatus from the company but returned several months ago.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:27 PM
Marty

Just curious what did they use the bar code for in the old label?
Old 05-22-2014, 08:32 PM

I am not an SGC rah-rah guy but do have a couple dozen slabbed SGC cards.

The old SGC labels are aesthetically nicer in my opinion. And, if the move to the new labels is a done deal (as it seems to be), SGC should at least add the green border.

My wife and I have a fanciful German name for what SGC has done here:

WURSENCHANGE (add the double dots over the u).

The new SGC slabs are in the grand tradition of New Coke and Windows 8--they took a good thing and made it worse.

People are often hired and paid to "do something." Unfortunately, often times, they make it worse. That seems to be the case here.

Again, in my opinion.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:40 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Put me down as strongly disappointed in the new label. I've been a proponent of SGC from the early years (over a decade) and have been fine with all the small changes over time but feel this is a mistake. Consistent and fair grading aside, the slab appearance is what really sets SGC apart with the green border label and black insert/gasket being key. I'm fine with the changes if the green border returns, large enough at top to pull "SGC" into the border in white. I don't see why this couldn't be accomplished without compromising all other new desired features.

The old SGC slab was classy and I was compelled to grade my cards with SGC. My collection has a nice and consistent look to it. I guess that is about to change. I don't believe I will submit with the new label. I'm fine with raw cards, why spend the money if you don't like the appearance? My hope is that SGC listens to their customers and reconsiders this decision. I may change my mind with time, then again, maybe not.

I'm not as passionate about coins, but have actually collected them longer than I have cards. I have collected only NGC graded coins and when their holder changed several years back I stopped submitting. The plastic insert that holds the coin being the issue, not the label. I won't buy a newer NGC graded coin. The last couple coins I need will be purchased when an example surfaces in the older holder. Anyone have an 1887 3 cent or quarter in older NGC holder? I have the coins raw, but would like to complete the type set in old NGC holders. Example of new holder attached for comparison, I didn't like it when it was introduced and time hasn't changed my mind.

Why change when your customer base is a bunch of old curmudgeoned fanatics? A change for the worse isn't welcome (over generalization but you get the point).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1887 Type Set Front 75dpi.jpg (73.5 KB, 510 views)
File Type: jpg 1887 3cent - new NGC holder.jpg (25.7 KB, 509 views)
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 05-22-2014, 10:05 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Building off of Bill's example, here is my recommendation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New SGC Label Proposal.jpg (76.1 KB, 508 views)
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 05-22-2014, 10:11 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G. View Post
For me personally that is the best looking flip I have ever seen.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:38 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
For me personally that is the best looking flip I have ever seen.
+1... Talking about the one a couple of posts above; not the actual new one that is objectively not very good.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 05-22-2014, 10:40 PM

Leon- agreed that the above example looks much better than the non-border version. when tweaking a design, you want to hold onto once's roots and evolve it every so slightly...like how Porsche tweaks the Carrera every year.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:39 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
That looks awesome!
Old 05-23-2014, 04:59 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
I'm not much of a slabby, so none of this really concerns me. Tangentially, though, I have always wondered why you (SGC) has felt compelled to put the single digit PSA-comparable grade on the flip. Seems to me like you are pinning yourselves down in PSA's shadow and resigning to #2. If you took that out, then the 4th line of text is moot.
HA!!!! He said "Tangentially"
Old 05-23-2014, 05:03 AM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

SGC,

Some simple business theories you my be interested in.

Test market or test group - before releasing a product, see how the product is received by a small group of consumers. Example: movie studios reshoot endings to movies based on what a test group says.

Market opportunity - when the market leader is generating revenue from a service (PSA Registry) that they do better, copy them with a better product or service. Example: Dodge was the first to produce a mini van.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:04 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
WOW! Super Nice - But I do think the Ryan is a tad overgraded....Looks more like a 70 to me
Old 05-23-2014, 05:21 AM
Adam Goldenberg

Default yikes

Think I will only buy the old style...damn the new ones (really ? it matters that much)
Old 05-23-2014, 05:26 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away
Then SGC changed their flip this way
Oh, I believe in yesterday

Suddenly, my cards seem half of what they used to be
No green borders on the flips I see
Oh, yesterday came suddenly

Why the flip had to go I don't know they wouldn't say
Did I say something wrong, now I long for yesterday

Yesterday, TPG was such an easy game to play
I liked S G C, not P S A

Why the flip had to change I don't know they wouldn't say
Did I say something wrong, now I long for yesterday

Yesterday, TPG was such an easy game to play
I liked S G C, not P S A
Mm mm mm mm mm mm mm

Back in the day every record had a "flip" side.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:39 AM
Jesse

I understand where Sean is coming from. Computers have to be upgraded and things change it just stinks. I really just think it looks a bit lower end but maybe it will grow on me
Old 05-23-2014, 05:44 AM
Ronald Goldberg

Frank, you think that you can just waltz back in here with some silly song, with all your charm and wit, after calling us a bunch of lemons.

I think not!

Last edited by RGold; 05-23-2014 at 05:56 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:46 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

I'd defintitely vote for that tweaked version from Joe G.! Best option so far, hands down!
Old 05-23-2014, 06:49 AM
Rich Klein

My point has been, and will continue to be, in terms of trying to retail with the new flip, it does not look right.

I'm more concerned about the retail aspects then the inforrmation because if the flip does not stand out, then these flips might be passed by because the appear to be similar to those of 2nd rank grading services

Rich