NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-15-2007, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Default George's last post ever....or "The Imaginary Collection"

Posted By: Steve M.

Only if he was born in April.

He's been posting since way before April 1, 2007.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

So far, from what I have seen, I too think John hit it the nail on the head. I hope I am wrong but until it's proven then I am in your camp, John. For the record anyone that doesn't follow a moderators very simple instructions (I think I am too lenient, but on purpose) will be banned. Little Sean wouldn't quit doing things I asked him to do. Also, I did find out, after the fact that you have to be 13 to post on Net54. I would never enforce that rule and if Sean had any discipline he could still be posting. Tom Nieves, and a host of other trolls have been banned for not being able to conform also. And to get back to the topic...like I said "George" who....After looking at Georges pictures here it proved nothing. Show me the meat!!

Old 04-15-2007, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: AL S

Exactly Leon Is Right As I stated NEED MORE PICS!!! I never Like to see anyone go but If your going to tell a TALL STORY at least have the Pics to back it up! Just dont let us keep posting George prove (us) wrong! Dont sit in silence. Or say APRIL FOOLS and we will all laugh and move on with life!

Old 04-15-2007, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

I know we all have had Safe deposit boxes at banks at one time or the other, but holy moley is there a size available for 6 tote bags of baseball cards?

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 04-15-2007, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

Well, you gotta admit it's been fun while it lasted. Not popcorn fun, but better than a bad movie. I for one will miss George. I was always interested in what he would say next. Maybe he can fess up and come back as his real self and join the rest of us armpit collectors. BTW, PSA 7's are now ok.

In Rememberance of James W. Brennan Sr. 1924-1982. Dad, thanks for everything you did for me.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I don't know why but for some reason this song comes to minde here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SJGDG5GZ2c

Old 04-15-2007, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad

Some bored members are over analyzing the situation!

Someone ghost-writing for George: I don't believe that theory at all! If that's true, someone on this bored is only playing with himself. It would only make scents if the person came forward with his game!

It's a lame and obvious attempt' to cover up his lies! You don't have to be a Genius to figure that out!

Old 04-15-2007, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

David,

I understand this guy claimed to have purchased 100k in cards since January. I put 10k to imply that based on the pics, even if he only spent 1/10th of what he claimed, he spent too much. I would have said 1k, but the wagner is clearly worth more than 1k.

By the way, would it really be possible to purchase 100k since January and be that quiet/anonymous about it? I guess its possible to do so through auctions, but I would think someone spending that kind of money was doing a lot of purchasing on ebay as well - that kind of spending would be hard to go unnoticed.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Administrator

I too was getting a little sick of the pussy-footing around by some posters.

"George" is a fraud. It's not April Fools. It's not a board member playing a prank. It's nothing more than a delusion by some poor soul.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:37 AM
Administrator

RamRam,

I was thinking exactly the same thing - small room, poorly appointed, and pretty beat up furniture (take a close look at the bookcase in the corner) for a millionaire's home.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Ok let's break it down for JK!
Tall story: is implying that George is a Myth / not real!
APRIL FOOLS: is implying that its a hoax / not valued!
So far' I have two thinks listed above possible more! Am I Wrong!

Old 04-15-2007, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Brad,

Im not sure I understand the point of your post or that anyone else will either - that's partially my fault since I edited my original post. But for everyone else's benefit, I never implied that I didnt understand this thread. I stated that the meaning of your first sentence of your post two up is hard to understand because "BOARD" members and "BORED" members imply two different meanings. Of course, I guess it would make more SENSE just to say I am a BORED BOARD member. I also stated that I dont usually comment on spelling by others, but that I really wanted to know which meaning you intended, which is why I didnt originally point out that "scents" are things you smell.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Whatever! No ones perfect, Right!

Old 04-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Administrator

I agree completely.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ErlandStevens

These last eight or so posts might be the funniest exchange I've ever seen on this bored.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Mulva ?

Old 04-15-2007, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Dolores

Old 04-15-2007, 10:25 AM
Administrator

It's time to Lock it up !

Old 04-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

I have not seen "bul..s..it" posts like this on this forum since the "Adam Moraine days".....

George is George.....get over it. No one who has ever posted here needs to be subjected to
all this hogwash.

I have met many really fine people at the Philly Show who are "readers" of Net54....and, they
have a lot to offer to our discussions....but, dare not post for exactly reasons like this.

All George asked about was a legimate question regarding a tough to find T206 card.

And, for this he is subject to the "Don Imus" treatment.......just unreal.

TED Z

Old 04-15-2007, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

if you search for his name you will find a George H. Dreher listed in a couple of internet directories....that doesn't mean his collection exists, but the name George Dreher does.

I do believe a guy can spend that much on cards and not really be "well known". I know 2 twin brothers who stayed under the radar for years and years. there collection of sports related memorabilia filled a house and a spare garage. It is possible....

Old 04-15-2007, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

I was just kidding. Man lighten up. Most of my posts are serious. (99%) So I try and make a silly one word comment, directed at no one, and you go nuts...Sorry. From now on I will dwell only on serious matters. I don't know George, don't want to, don't care if he's real or not. Couldn't care less about his Jack Ham card and His Ken Houston card. No more humor. Ever.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Mea culpa

Old 04-15-2007, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

JK, gotcha.

I understand the $10,000 figure now and your reasoning behind it.

David

Old 04-15-2007, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Dave, in your own post you gave a reason why "George's" story is hard to believe. You said twin brothers collected things under the radar and it filled a house and garage.

"George" has said he has about 60,000 Pre-War cards both sport and non-sport. He also claimed to collect guns, stamps, coins and political items. He then said these were in his bank in a safety deposit box or boxes and that he paid $500 a year (total) for the rental. I believe he even said in one post that the stuff in the bank would fill up trucks.

I know the safety deposit box I use is large and it costs me $150 a year in rental. I don't think I could get all six duffle bags full of cards in that one safety deposit box. So, I would need two and that would be $300 a year right there. If these duffle bags are just his latest purchases and he has more then.....

David

Old 04-15-2007, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed

are offers being accepted on the Ken Houston?

Old 04-15-2007, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: PC

Does George really have that many pre-war cards? I'd also like to see more pictures, but two things in George's defense:

(1) It isn't that hard to spend $100K on cards in three months and remain anonymous. Anyone on this board could find two $50K cards, or 100 cards worth $1000 each, in an extremely short amount of time, from numerous sources -- and if you didn't want the rest of the world to know about it, then we wouldn't.

(2) What exactly does the spare bedroom of a multimillionaire's house look like? I do not know or care if George has a net worth of $30K or $30M, but you cannot make that judgement from the way one corner of one room looks, or how it is furnished. Should he have taken pictures of the cards spread out on the hood of his Bentley Azure?

Old 04-15-2007, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: paulstratton

100k doesn't buy what it used to I guess. While I think it's entirely possible for someone to "fly under the radar" for a long time, I'm starting to doubt George's claims as well. I want to believe, but these pics actually cast more doubt on his story than if he never posted any photos at all.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

How bout George just posts some of the meat of his collection (like other posters have said) and prove most of us wrong? Wouldnt you then be really having the last laugh? And the Wagner scan is far enough away that Im convinced that it couldnt be a reprint. And if someone goes through all that trouble to try and prove us wrong, why post your supposed "most valuable" cards face down, that doesnt make sense.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Administrator

PC,

If he wants us to believe that he has a collection in the six figure range and is as wealthy as he implies, then yes. Pictures of actual cards that are worth something as opposed to Ken Houstons, 1989 Donruss cards, a few t206 backs, etc. would have been nice. If they were on top of a bentley or a rolls, heck even a bmw - all the better.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

Yes, that would have added some to the story. Of course, if the cards had been really good that might have helped; the T206 striptease, not.

With apologies to Jim Rome, the rule of thumb for posting here is have a take and don't suck or you will get run. I don't see why we should accord any slack to someone who makes outlandish claims and then out of the blue posts photographs that do anything but confirm the accuracy of his statements. If anything, "George's" treatment of the members of this board is condescending and simplistic. The level of knowledge of many of the participants here is very deep; many of the contributors here are THE experts in certain issues and most of the participants here have a very good handle on what cards are worth and what card pops are out there. For someone to think that a photograph or two of a crapfest on the den day bed would cow the population of this board would be laughable if it wasn't so pitiful.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Administrator

In another thread someone was doing the Math about how many cards a month it would take to get 60,000 Pre-War cards if you had been buying for 40 years.

Help me with the Math on this one. From the scans he provided, it appears "George" likes his cards in plastic. So, what is the thinnest plastic holder?? 1/8 of an inch?? Some of the slabs in the scan look MUCH thicker than that, so lets say the average is 1/4 of an inch.

60,000 (number of cards) times 1/4 inch = 15,000 inches. Then, 15,000 inches divided by 12 = 1,250. That is 1,250 feet TALL if all his cards are in plastic and stacked on top of each other. If the average thickness of his plastic holders is 1/8 of an inch, that would still be 625 feet tall.

So, Math majors, help me out. Use a reasonable estimate of the length and width of a plastic holder and then multiply that by 60,000. Then, see how much in square feet that would be. Once that is figured out, guesstimate what a large safety deposit box size is, in square footage and see how many large safety deposit boxes "George" would need just for his cards.

Also, don't forget "George" also has guns, stamps, coins and political items in the bank too.

David

Old 04-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: AL S

Dave,
I dont know if you look close you will see a stack of binders next to the bed and remember now each page holds 9 cards some of the binders look full some look half full! That would cut down on the amount of feet in your calculation! By an exponent of 9! Wow the plot thickens! Therefore and to wit as I said 3 hours ago! (I went out for awhile) GEORGE make us believers and SHOW US THE CARDS! (PICS)

Old 04-15-2007, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

I don't get why everyone has their noses so out of joint.
Big deal if George exaggerated the crap out of his collection. I don't remember him trying to sell anyone a fake Wagner, defraud general citizens out of donations for dubious charities, goose up cards for auctions and not mention the alterations, etc. etc. etc.

So, he does or doesn't have a very expensive collection, and he's pissy enough about a post that busted his balls that he's leaving and wants to see the reaction.

Big deal. Why the need to pile on?

Daniel

Old 04-15-2007, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

hey David, I didn't know he had claimed to also collect all the other items. To be honest I missed Goerges post whenever he was describing his collection. The largest safety deposit box I've seen will hold a large painting in a frame, but even that would not hold all of those cards.
Those two brothers literally had stuff everywhere in there house. the living room was so full of boxes and unopened cases of cards that there was just a pathway for people to walk through the room. They sold some of there stuff after robbery attemtps and arson attempts, and they made a lot of money. I believe they ended up owning several bars and restaurants.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chad

But I figured if George could add to the knowledge here, then who cares about a fish story or two. Instead, I guess we just got more drama. That's really the bottom line for me. Some posters kind of rub me the wrong way, but I learn A LOT from those guys so I just tell myself to shut up and respect the knowledge. Other posters rub me the wrong way and there's no pay off, not even a chuckle. I have to admit, I enjoy seeing those guys suffer the dog pile.

--Chad

Old 04-15-2007, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

A little bit of "puffyness" is no big deal but this is beyond extreme. I think that is why people are piling on. I can't tell you how many times you read in the papers about people of this ilk that ultimately have dubious intentions.

If you believe in him then contact me cuz I've got a T206 Wagner for sale that I found in my Grandpa's attic when he passed away.

Rob

Old 04-15-2007, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

I have exactly 45 pre-war cards, no lie, you guys want pictures?

Old 04-15-2007, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...I have about 150 T206 cards left and no other pre-war cards.

It's all true...

Old 04-15-2007, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean BH

Barry is George
Nobody drives a Bentley Azure anymore (Flying Spur!)
I'm the Walrus
and Paul is Dead

Goo Goo k'choo

Old 04-15-2007, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Will all of the above said...

All George, or whoever, did, was ask about Powers in T206. Powers is not a "common" card for several reasons. Something that the catalogs and some folks here don't realize nor understand.

Peace.

Move on...

Old 04-15-2007, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Sean figured it out- I'm George. I didn't think my imaginary life would last forever

Old 04-15-2007, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

You said:

"I have not seen "bul..s..it" posts like this on this forum since the "Adam Moraine days".....

George is George.....get over it. No one who has ever posted here needs to be subjected to
all this hogwash.

I have met many really fine people at the Philly Show who are "readers" of Net54....and, they
have a lot to offer to our discussions....but, dare not post for exactly reasons like this.

All George asked about was a legimate question regarding a tough to find T206 card.

And, for this he is subject to the "Don Imus" treatment.......just unreal.

TED Z "

First of all I think there have been far worse posts and threads than this so I will politely disagree with this statement. But your opinion is just as valid as mine, if not more so.

Second...and this is a big problem for me, given the circumstances. George is NOT George....we don't know who the hell he is.

Third- I disagree again...IF you throw out major hogwash...and that's all we've seen so far...then you get major hogwash back.

Fourth- I am sure there are many readers that don't post...That is their wish and so be it. If they spewed crap like this then they would get crap back. If they didn't then they wouldn't. I think the "they don't post for fear of retaliation" statement is total BS. I am not saying you are lieing as I am sure you aren't. It's just weak, imo. This board has a very good way of taking care of issues....and no one is immune. If someone gets jumped on for no reason five others will come to the defense of the person receiving the crap. I have seen it time and time again.

Fifth- George asked a very legit question about a T206. He has 6000 of them....That's almost 12 sets worth. I would hope he has an idea of the scarce ones since he probably has more than any one in the world.

Sixth- He hasn't lost his job over this so he hasn't got the Imus treatment...

We usually agree on stuff but this one set me off a little.....I am still a fan of yours and will still buy you the first cold one when we meet but your reasoning for taking up for this guy didn't seem like your normal good reasoning self, to me....take care now.....leon

edited to change a word that I messed up...

Old 04-15-2007, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Adams

George likes his chicken spicey!

Go Go White Sox
2005 World Series Champions!

Old 04-15-2007, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave S

Being relatively new with my posts, I can only say I have no clue who George is nor do I care. What he may have or have not contributed I have no idea...other than what I've read on this thread. I'd certainly agree with the statement that someone who has thousands of 206's should not need to seek much assistance with rarities, variations, etc.
But what I would be willing to bet is that George--whomever, whatever, or wherever he is--is sitting in front of his computer reading every inch of this thread...
and laughing his ass off...

Old 04-15-2007, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Why

"laughing his ass off"? The majority of the well thought out posts have seriously questioned his claims.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: howard

It may be that George does not give a rats ass what we all think and he is laughing because we are expending so much time on this thread.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave S

That was the exact point I was trying to make...that he could cause such a critical, bashing debate..

Old 04-15-2007, 04:15 PM
Administrator

These boxes are full of my pre-war collection.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

Ever thought of getting those boxes graded?

Old 04-15-2007, 04:20 PM
Administrator

They are all graded and worth millions. I am the backbone of the hobby. And, don't dare question me.