NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-10-2007, 12:34 AM
Administrator

Default auction overload?

Posted By: Cobby33

I'm ok with being average. We average folk can't read, so we have to be happy with the catalog pictures anyway. And maybe if we're good, we can pet the rabbits.

Edit"d to have my Mom Korrect my gramerr and speleng.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Not all the material in the auction is elite and targeted for all the high class snobs that Bruce pretends to hobnob with.

The issue isn't the #1 sets on the registry, it's all the endless large lots, and the repetition of the same cards, that may show weakness. It that respect the auctions are overloaded.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: bruce Dorskind

No where in our post do we even allude to any social relationship with the
distinguished collectors that Mr. Sloate says "that we pretend to hob nob with."

That was not the point of our post, nor have we ever stated with whom we hob nob.

We simply responded affirmatively to Doug's original post which asked:

Is there enough money sloshing around out there for the collecting community to
soak up all that amazing and expensive stuff?

We believe there is and that final prices on the better items will reflect new
record prices.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

There is more than enough money to go around, and more than enough to buy all the great lots in both auctions.

But not all these lots will appeal to the wealthy collectors, and much of it is of a more run of the mill variety and very repetitive. That is an area where I think there is simply too much material. And while there is more than enough money to buy four Planks, the appearance of four at the same time creates a poor impression.

And my last comment towards you Bruce was based solely on the fact that you are unable to post anything on the board without finding a way to insult those who you deem socially or economically beneath you. Trust me, everyone on this board sees through your condescending rhetoric and you are not fooling anyone. Post with respect towards others and I will gladly retract my prior comment.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

I'm looking forward to meeting these wealthy collectors at the National to see whether or not they show respect to me - a VERY, VERY low-end poor slob collector !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl2c9G1R_a8

Old 04-10-2007, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I too am in the category of "wannabe" elitist collector. I will relegate myself to taking the catalogs, cutting the pictures out, and trying to have the pictures of the cards slabbed. Basically that's all I have now anyway.....since I have always pretended to collect, all of the cards in my personal collection are really just pictures of cards that I swiped and cut out. My budget for cards is about $12 a month. I bid in the auctions so always get the catalogs. I haven't received them yet but my scissors are waiting.....best regards.....your lower class collector/moderator who is not worthy.....

Old 04-10-2007, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chad

on the back of napkins I still from hotdog vendors. The crayons I use I steal from a daycare center around the block. I have the only conceptual art collection of baseball cards in the world. And, though I should put this in the BST thread, I'm willing to sell it for the right price. Serious bids only and if you come in at less than 6 figures I will send you a You Tube video of Mr. T. pitying you, you danged fool.

--Chad

Old 04-16-2007, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Chad, Leon,

Quit pulling my leg, you guys probably have money hidden under your mattress for times like this.

Peter

Old 04-16-2007, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

never mind

In Rememberance of James W. Brennan Sr. 1924-1982. Dad, thanks for everything you did for me.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

I just finished my IRS and FTB extentions and cut the checks. If I eat Macaroni and Cheese every meal for the rest of the month, I am going to have enough money left over to pick up a VG - EX rookie card of either Bruce Sutter or Gary Carter. Whoooooo hooooo I love the timing of these auctions!!!!