NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-16-2007, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Default Using the 2007 Standard Catalog

Posted By: Joe Drouillard

Hello All,

I have always enjoyed using the Standard Catalog of Baseball cards as a reference guide when buying cards. But now that I'm moving into Pre-war issues I'm confused.

I've read other posts on the subject of the 2007 Standard Catalog, but I was wondering if members of the board could share their thoughts on their use of this guide as a tool to determining the value of prewar cards.

From my own experience the prices that the market brings on the T206 set are pretty consistant with the values listed in the guide. For example, a VG T206 common with out creases will bring about $35-45 on eBay. A PSA3 common about $40.00. This is in line with the $40.00 listed in catalog. From my experience, HOFers seem to be a little undervalued in the guide compared to what I've paid on eBay.

Where I see a big difference is in T205's. Especially, special prints or scarcities. The published price of Dolly Gray in VG condition is $175.00, but you can buy it on eBay for $40.00 ($60.00 graded VG).

My questions are do members use the guide at all? Are there some issues where the guide is very accurate and others where it is of no use at all? How do you use the guide?

Thanks for any insight.

Best wishes,

Joe

Old 04-16-2007, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian

i only use them as a reference if i can't find a recent final price online. But it has much greater value as a checklist reference

Old 04-17-2007, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

The Standard Guide is good as a checklist and for providing good, brief descriptions of the issues. This is helpful when you are unfamiliar with a issue, like with an odd ball set. The issue 'biographies' alone are worth the book price, as they tell you about how the cards were distributed and history, sizes, rarity, reprints, etc.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

To be used as a guide only. But the best usage is for the inexperienced collectors to be able to know what is out there in terms of odd ball cards, and sets, pins, etc. if not for this guide, and a another, some of these old odd ball's would not be known about. But never to be used for gauging prices.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Let me put it this way. It is the best prewar hardcopy guide. But for up to date prices go to vintagecards.com.

Peter

Old 04-17-2007, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Drouillard

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice.

I agree with Peter that Vintagecards.com is a good resource for graded cards.

I also really like the valuation mutiplier on the T-206 website. It also seems very accurate maybe even more than Vintagecards because it assumes an average price. I know that Vintagecards.com tracks sales as if it were the stock market. Occasionally, a card can slip through at a bargin price on an auction, or a buyer will pay an inflated price for a card because they are trying to fill a hole. When I look at the prices on Vintagecard I try to take an average of the last 3-5 buys and use that as a guide. I really like the features of their program and consult it before I buy any graded card.

I'm still wondering about determining the value of ungraded cards, especially for Pre-war issues other than T-206s. Do you think many collectors use the Standard Catalog when considering a bid? For example, if they believe a card is in Excellent condition set their snipe at the VG price? If they think a card is VG then at 1/2 the VG price and so on.

Best wishes,

Joe

Old 04-17-2007, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

I have never "once" consulted the price guide before I bid on ebay or an auction. I guess I never thought of it. I place a value on something, based on what it means to me, or my collection. I guess because I have been in this so long, I don't need to consult the guide. In many cases the prices in the guides are so far off, it makes no sense to consult them in the first place. Especially with the rarer 19th cen, and early 20th cen. cards. If you are new in this hobby, maybe it makes sense to peak at the guide before bidding. After a few years, you will develop a 6th sense, and not need it anymore.