NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-06-2019, 08:51 AM

Default SGC Website

Does anyone have any insight as to when the SGC item verification and other new website features will be active?
Old 12-06-2019, 08:56 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Does anyone have any insight as to when the SGC item verification and other new website features will be active?
Coming Soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-06-2019, 08:58 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
The same day the guarantee comes back.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:02 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
Coming Soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^^THIS^^ and by soon they mean never.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:04 AM
Todd Schultz

Default Don't hold your breath

It's been over a year. Each passing month is further testament to their ownership's incompetence and/or indifference. That applies to more than just the website too.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:07 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Also not holding my breath and I have been an SGC guy for a long time.

As an aside I have set up a blank registry on SGC (old website) for each of my sets. When I want to verify an SGC Card - I simply go and enter the serial number into the blank registry and it either returns a grade or card and slab is a hoax.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:20 AM

That's good to know. Thanks Lonnie.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:30 PM

Default SGC Verification Issues

I emailed SGC and was told by someone at SGC simply to email the serial numbers to them and they will verify them. I emailed 5 numbers 6 weeks ago and have not received verification yet. Every week I poke them again, and I get some lame statement like "I have forwarded your email to XXXX. He will get back to you ASAP!" Or "I will discuss with XXXX today."

This is an exercise that should take 1 person 2 minutes to complete. And yet there are apparently discussions occurring between numerous people, as if this happened to be a major project.

I understand that we are all working from home and that response times should be slower, but this is ridiculous. It makes me wonder whether there are deeper problems at SGC.

Anyone have any recent experiences? And any solutions? At this point, I am not buying any more SGC-graded cards until this situation resolves.

Mark

Last edited by Leon; 05-26-2020 at 06:45 AM. Reason: inserted registered name
Old 05-25-2020, 04:39 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgr View Post
I emailed SGC and was told by someone at SGC simply to email the serial numbers to them and they will verify them. I emailed 5 numbers 6 weeks ago and have not received verification yet. Every week I poke them again, and I get some lame statement like "I have forwarded your email to XXXX. He will get back to you ASAP!" Or "I will discuss with XXXX today."

This is an exercise that should take 1 person 2 minutes to complete. And yet there are apparently discussions occurring between numerous people, as if this happened to be a major project.

I understand that we are all working from home and that response times should be slower, but this is ridiculous. It makes me wonder whether there are deeper problems at SGC.

Anyone have any recent experiences? And any solutions? At this point, I am not buying any more SGC-graded cards until this situation resolves.

Martin
Yeah, unfortunately for the collector, they are run like Sh** as well as the other guys. It's a dirty shame they can't step up and solve their serial numbers issue. Company must be run by mental midgets.

They probably don't even have a master list, is my guess.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:23 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

You need to have your full name out here to say anything about a company. The rule is in bold at the top of every page. I know, it's kind of hard to see. Not.
And why do you put Martin here in the post but your registration is Mark and your ID is Mark? (never mind, taken care of )

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgr View Post

Martin

Last edited by Leon; 05-25-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:10 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

I either heard or read that parts of their new website would be operational June 1st. I'm a PSA guy but I'd sure like to see SGC's website work again. I'd also like to see PSA fix some things they told me they were currently working on 3 years ago. I offered to help for free, they told me that they had it under control. The way I see it, they are both in jeopardy of someone new coming along and doing everything the right way. The problem lately is, when your competition doesn't even try to be better than you, you really have no need to try harder to be better than them. Sometimes I feel they are both dead in the water. I hope things change for the better.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 05-25-2020, 07:10 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

My grandkids will be all grown up by the time SGC gets their stuff together.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:11 PM
Kyl&.. L&ntin&

Default yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
It's been over a year. Each passing month is further testament to their ownership's incompetence and/or indifference. That applies to more than just the website too.
Yep.. I hadn't dealt with SGC since the ownership change..but wow what a decline in service
10 day grading well over 20 days for me
They don't pick up their phones...everything by email
Dissapointed
Old 05-27-2020, 06:29 PM
Justin

I can't speak to their website status but I just got a 10 day submission back in 10 days and my previous 20 day was also on time.

I only do small submission as I'm not a bulk collector or deal so maybe that's why.
Last time they were late they also gave me a 20% coupon off my next order.

The email only is lockdown related in my experience, I never had trouble getting them on the phone prior to the change.

Just my 2 cents.

Ju$tin Co$ta

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jcosta19; 05-14-2021 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:56 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
I either heard or read that parts of their new website would be operational June 1st. I'm a PSA guy but I'd sure like to see SGC's website work again. I'd also like to see PSA fix some things they told me they were currently working on 3 years ago. I offered to help for free, they told me that they had it under control. The way I see it, they are both in jeopardy of someone new coming along and doing everything the right way. The problem lately is, when your competition doesn't even try to be better than you, you really have no need to try harder to be better than them. Sometimes I feel they are both dead in the water. I hope things change for the better.
June first is a Monday.....

As far as I know Monday is taken as the day things will be updated.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:01 PM

This is all disheartening to hear. I have NEVER had a card graded and I would at least like to get one done so that I know the process and to see if it is worth getting some of my other cards graded.

SGC is my preferred grading company but with the nonsense about not being able to see your card grade on the list (I recently bought an SGC graded card and still cant find the serial number to see if it is on the list and know if it is a legitimate card and grade (I am assuming so since i bought it from a supposedly reputable source).

The card I am thinking about having graded is my first pre-war card I ever bought; a T206 Cobb Bat Off. I have owned the card for 40 years this summer and think it is time to see what the grade might be. But now do not know if I should or even want to.

David
Old 05-28-2020, 06:29 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post

The card I am thinking about having graded is my first pre-war card I ever bought; a T206 Cobb Bat Off. I have owned the card for 40 years this summer and think it is time to see what the grade might be. But now do not know if I should or even want to.

David
I would get it slabbed if for nothing else - just to protect it going forward.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:08 AM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
The problem lately is, when your competition doesn't even try to be better than you, you really have no need to try harder to be better than them. Sometimes I feel they are both dead in the water. I hope things change for the better.
I agree.

One can't figure out how to turn record sales into expanding to meet timelines. It's simple business, expand to meet demand. In & Out Burger started in a 10' x 10' building, they've since expanded.

The other can't figure out what label to use and that their lack of a registry (or piss poor registry) is what keeps them looking up at their competition. Or maybe they don't want to lead. If that's the case, I wish they'd pick their niche and stick with it.

Neither issue is new, it's been years.

1st name near id ingr@m
Old 05-28-2020, 07:25 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
Yeah, unfortunately for the collector, they are run like Sh** as well as the other guys. It's a dirty shame they can't step up and solve their serial numbers issue. Company must be run by mental midgets.

They probably don't even have a master list, is my guess.
If you want accurate grades SGC is by far the best. PSA is a JOKE at best but hey the sheeple pay the most for their slabs. Beckett is, well lets just say bad at pretty much every aspect of grading. They do have the most secure slab if that counts for anything.

To the part I made bold. I always assumed they smoke a TON of weed and just don't want to upgrade anything because then you would have to actually do something. They seem happy as long as they are still making enough to buy more weed. They have great ideas but never do anything. Sounds like pot heads to me.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:55 PM
J0hn Collin$

You can't expect SGC to suddenly become something they aren't. They have been promising some type of registry / verification tool since I sent my first ever order in, probably sometime around 2005. They are great at customer service if you have a problem, fair grading, (although noticeably tougher lately), eye-catching slabs, and turn times. People can still complain too about PSA taking 6 months to return their order, but really - it's kind of filed away under "What did you expect?" by most at this point.

Last edited by jchcollins; 05-28-2020 at 02:58 PM.