NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-27-2012, 07:57 AM

Default Goudeys

Has anyone had luck with soaking 1933 Goudeys?
Old 12-28-2012, 12:19 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Default Using Water

I would like to offer a few suggestions regarding soaking cards. First, I do not collect cards. I enjoy looking at them, especially the colors in many of the early ones (Turkey Reds?, T-s?), but I don't know the designations. I guess it is the photographer in me.

Everyone mentions using water, but I would like to point out that you should probably NOT USE tap water. You should use distilled water which can be found in many grocery stores and in many of the CVS type all purpose 'drug store/ pharmacies'. Distilled water is purified and does not contain flouride or any of the other harmful chemicals that can be found in drinking water that may harm the inks such as benzene (lighter fluid). Distilled water is also very good at removing non-photographic items from old scrap books. Since the older glues are made from animal byproducts it is easily dissolved. If water is needed Archivists will use it over tap water.

I have used this method to remove items from scrapbooks before. I wait until the item has fully separated from the page. I fully soak the item and then use blotter paper to dry the item. You can find books of blotter paper at many photography or photo supply stores. They are used by photographers who still do darkroom work and do not have the time to wait for their prints to dry. I also use a bookpress to keep the items flat. Think of the item Uncle Fester puts his head in in the Addams Family. These are obsolete and not readily found, but if you are doing a lot of soaking these may be helpful. Mine has a roughly 8½x11 platen (flat surface) but it still weighs about 50-60 pounds.

If you are dealing with adhesives you may want to investigate Bestine solvent made by Union Rubber of N.J. It is a glue/adhesive solvent that was originally designed to remove residue from art boards and photos, but it can also be used to remove pressure sensative labels. I have not used it, but have heard good things about it.

Cheers and Feliz y prospero Año Nuevo

Michael B

Last edited by Michael B; 12-28-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Ed Woelfle

Default Soaking before and after

Tinker Hands On..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Before & After.jpg (75.6 KB, 131 views)
Old 12-30-2012, 12:32 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwolf1963 View Post
Tinker Hands On..
That's a significant improvement. I have had similar success many times. I think residue being taken off with water is fine and not an alteration, but it's debatable (and for another thread ).