NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Default Anyone else collect..................

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

Baseball bat pens or pencils?

I'll try to scan a few down the road.......have literally hundreds of them. Not quite the obsession it once was. Fortunately, I've quelled the habit a little lately.....

Couple of recent additions......

Have TONS that say 'Souvenir of' and whatever city.

Came in boxed sets, etc. Will also scan some different advertising that goes along with 'em...........

Old 07-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

no...you're it. But the good part is that you can get really good buys ...

Old 07-19-2007, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Looks like you're as busy as I am...........okra for lunch?

Old 07-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

I have an old Jimmie Foxx pen and pencil set, and the box it came in. Kind of neat. Not rare, but cool. Anything Foxx...you know me.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:25 PM
Administrator

think like 16 different........

Old 07-19-2007, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I have some, but I've never gone out of my way to collect them...

These of course are my favorites

Old 07-19-2007, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

Some of my Indians pens and pencils. The one located in the front-right of the photo is a Cleveland Naps version issued by Leisy's Beer. Couldn't get a good close-up shot of it.

Even though these aren't exactly what the post is about, they are cetainly baseball-related pencils, all with a facsimile autograph and/or photo of a Cleveland Indian:

Old 07-19-2007, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Have any Indians clips for sale? Those could be tangentially included in the thread. I'm at 73/90 right now..........

Old 07-19-2007, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Hi Tom,

The only time I pick them up now is to upgrade. I have a 1948 Doby available. That's it. I've been toying with the idea of trying to acquire both a "dark" and "light" version of each of the 1949 brown clips. But that borders on lunacy.

I'd like to see your want list. There are about 10 clips that I've always thought are the toughest. I'd like to see how many are on your list. Getting down to 17 is an accomplishment. E-mail it to me if you get a chance and don't mind.

In the meantime, I'll see if I can take a decent photo of my pride and joys.

Rob

Old 07-19-2007, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Sent Rob...........

Old 07-19-2007, 02:54 PM
Administrator

neat pen. Kind of looks like it's speckled or mottled. I'll try to shoot some pics of some better ones tonite at home. Just had the photos above on my portable hard drive.......

Old 07-19-2007, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

I only have a couple but have never pursued them.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

I'm a little self conscious about the size of my pencil collection. Anyway, all of mine are pictured in other posts.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Not pencils, but since Tom was the one who started the thread and suggested it would be OK ... 90 different Cleveland Indians pencil clips, 1948-52:

Old 07-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Wow...sweet collection of pencil clips there Rob. I have always been a little leary of going after those because I have been under the assumption that there are repros of those clips. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Administrator

that I'm aware of. TONS of reprints of the Satchell Paige Browns pencil clip.........

Here's 73/90 of them plus 6 different browns clips. Sorry for the $10 bank in front........

Old 07-19-2007, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Dan,

The only clip I know of that fools people is a white one of Satchel Paige that pictures him with the St. Louis Browns. I'm pretty sure those were produced in the late 1970s, so when they turn up, they have some age to them. Actually, that's not a reproduction but rather a fantasy piece, because even though there are St. Louis Browns pencil clips (Veeck took the idea with him from Cleveland to St. Louis), I don't believe Paige is included.

The only other non-vintage baseball clips I've seen were produced in the 1990s and feaure players like Cobb, Wagner, etc. The "button" part of the clip is slightly smaller than a nickel. They can be found in bright colors like orange, blue, red, etc. But my guess is that anyone with half a brain would recognize these as being non-vintage.

As far as I know, the 1948-52 Indians clips have not been reproduced. I would hope that because they are not -- for the most part -- big-ticket items and the fact that a production process would be pretty involved, it never will be a concern.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:07 PM
Administrator

I passed on a bunch of these in the past because I assumed they were repro items.

Hey do you have this Indians Bat Pencil?

Old 07-19-2007, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Old 07-19-2007, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Dan,

Nope, do not have that one. Don't ever recall seeing that type. Any other writing on it other than what's visible in the photo?

Tom,

I can only imagine how great those frames look in person. Really nice stuff.

Maybe you've posted this before, but what was it that got you hooked on pencils?

Old 07-19-2007, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Rob, there is no other writing anywhere else on it. Send me your address in email and it's yours.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Early 1950s Narragansett Red Sox Pencils

Old 07-19-2007, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Somewhere I have a handful of these bat pencils, but I'm almost certain they are buried in a closet amongst the other stuff I have no room to display.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:23 AM
Administrator

Don't know why I started collecting them. I collect all types of Louisville Slugger stuff (being in Louisville) and just kinda branched over to other types/makes of pens when I started having more trouble finding L.S. pens.

The frames are great. I took black boards that are used for displaying watches and then had a local frame store make the frames around them. They have open fronts and you can just slide the pens/pencils under the little elastic strings that the watches would normally go under. Think each one holds like 16 pencils. Problem is, I'd need about 40 more frames for all the crappin pens I have. I just put the nicer ones up and the World Series ones I have. I went through a period where I sold a LOT of the sets that I had. I probably sold about 30-40 pen/pencil sets in original boxes. Don't know why. Should have kept 'em. Oh well..........

The Satchell Paige clip WAS produced with the 1950's St. Louis Browns set. I have 6 total from the set and I know of 2-3 more that do exist. I have Marty Marion, Clint Courtney, Paige, Bill Veeck and 3-4 more. A REAL paige is pretty easy to tell compared to the fake ones. The fake ones have TONS of border around his face and don't look like the normal Indians/Browns clips. Lyman from oldcardboard just won a real one on ebay.....

FAKE...........

REAL...........

I have a couple REAL Paiges....one of which is still on the St Louis Browns pencil's JUST like the Indians pencils. The Browns set is MUCH more difficult to get than any of the Indians sets. There is a Rogers Hornsby that I REALLY want but just can't find any of. I see probably 40-50 Indians clips per every REAL browns clip on ebay. Might be more than that.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Tom,

Thanks for the clarification on the Paige clip, and shame on me for not checking my facts better.

You're spot-on with your evaluation of the rarity of Browns clips. At one point I had two but ended up trading them away simply because they so rarely showed up I know I'd never collect them too seriously.

One sidenote on Veeck and the clips: A good friend of mine wrote a letter to Veeck when he owned the White Sox, asking him about the pencil clips, how he came up with the idea, who made them, etc. Veeck actually wrote back to my friend, and although I don't recall off hand the exact content of the letter, I do remember that Veeck expressed surprise about how well the clips sold. And he mentioned something about selling the clips in an effort to help track sales of programs(?).

That letter is a great companion piece to the clips. I'll see if I can get a scan of it and post it.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:50 AM
Administrator

That'd be great. I always HOPE that I'll pick up a few clips in Cleveland but have only gotten 1-2 on the last 2-3 trips there for the National. My wife is from Canfield and on a trip there a couple years ago, I got a couple of them at an antique mall near there. If you ever see any on my wantlist, I'd appreciate consideration! If I get any dupes of Browns, I'll let you know.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Cool DiMaggio.....wierd color. Haven't seen another of those in that color before for Louisville Slugger..........

Old 07-20-2007, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Nice thread.

Does anyone collect fountain pens? I've seen the two or three Babe Ruth fountain pens, but are there others that are player endorsed?

Thanks,

Max

Old 07-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Have only seen the Babe Ruth black and orange Fountain pens and matching mechanical pencils. Baseball on the end and Babe Ruth engraved on the actual gold colored clip. The Rice Stix pen with Dizzy/Daffy Dean is a nice collectible too.

I think I pictured my Ruth P/P set up the thread. Only one I've ever seen. Since they were issued in the 1930's and 1940's, I'm surprised I haven't seen more of them--especially if you got to choose your set. Oh well, guess someone's got them stuck back in the drawers somewhere.......

Old 07-20-2007, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Thanks Tom, I picked it up at a Flea Market. I usually don't look at them but I thought anything vintage DiMaggio has to be pretty good.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Here's a letter a fellow pencil-clip collector received from Bill Veeck when he owned the White Sox. My friend sent Veeck a Browns clip of Paige and asked a few questions about how he came up with the idea of making/selling pencil clips in Cleveland. (The blue square is mine to keep private my friend's name and address.)

Old 07-24-2007, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mr. moses

1870's-1890's lacquer pencil boxes. I believe there were four different base ball ones (maybe 3?)..... I have some others with pastoral scenes and have seen about 4 other sports....