NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-31-2011, 04:22 AM
Phil Garry

Default 1971 Anderson, South Carolina - American Legion Post 14 Team Photo w/Jim Rice?

I recently picked up the below item on e-bay as described above. What are everyone's thoughts on the player in the back row, third from the left being Jim Rice (he would be 18 years old at that time)?

It should also be noted that Rice played on this same team since 1969 (he would have been 16 years old at that time) so the 1971 date could possibly be wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JRice.jpg (71.2 KB, 405 views)
File Type: jpg JRiceB.jpg (71.7 KB, 402 views)

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 12-31-2011 at 06:23 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:46 AM

Phil,
I'm sorry, but my first impression would be no, IMHO. The guy in the photo looks to be younger than 19 to me, and does not have any facial similarities with Jim Rice other than they both are African Americans.

I look forward to hearing from others as they check in.

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2011, 09:05 AM
Mikeknapp

Phil,
It is hard to tell but I can see why you posed the question. I too see some similarities to Rice. However, you have to be cautious as it is very easy to see what you want in such items. An example of this would be the kid in the front row looks like he could be Wally Moon's little brother Nonetheless, it is a very cool photo and I hope that you are able to ascertain that it is Rice. Good Luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Graphic1.jpg (75.6 KB, 379 views)
Old 12-31-2011, 12:44 PM
Dan Bretta

Not sure I've seen Jim Rice without a mustache...can't really tell myself.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:29 PM
Dave

Looks like a really young Jim Rice or a really old Ricky Henderson LOL!!

Seriously, if it is Rice it's a really neat piece. I love these older pre-major league photos.

Perhaps a bigger cropped scan of the subject in question would help.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:15 PM
Phil Garry

Well, the seller was from Anderson, South Carolina and claimed that he had received the photo from a teammate of Rice's on that 1971 American Legion team and he believes that a total of about 14 exist, one was made for each player at the time. I guess that makes things more believable along with the fact that the price the seller offered it for was very reasonable, not much money was made if this was a fraudulant piece. Of course, all of this doesn't matter if the player in question is not Jim Rice.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 12-31-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:31 PM

Last edited by howard38; 09-10-2020 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard38 View Post
Blow it up and photoshop a 'stache on him. Might be able to tell then.
Maybe we can use some of Wally Moon's unibrow to create the 'stache!
Old 01-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Phil Garry

Thanks for the help, Al, further verification is in progress.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 01-02-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Belltown Vintage

For what it's worth, I think it's Rice.

Here's me and Jim on the same 'team', back in the '80s. Not photoshopped - anyone else get their picture taken in this thing at Fenway?

Last edited by Runscott; 01-02-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Jeff

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 01-02-2012 at 02:28 PM. Reason: delete - double post
Old 01-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Jeff

Scott,
After a few pops you could almost pass for Eck.
Course he wassn't on the team by then.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 01-02-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:37 PM
William Peebles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
For what it's worth, I think it's Rice.

Here's me and Jim on the same 'team', back in the '80s. Not photoshopped - anyone else get their picture taken in this thing at Fenway?

Yes! 1987. Good times. Now I need to dig out that Polaroid.

http://www.huntingtonbaseballco.com
Old 01-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Al

Default American Leigon

Phil,
Just wanted to let you know I did some research for you . Im the Assistant State Commissioner for Babe Ruth Baseball in Ct. We also have Legion baseball here. I was able to contact the post in South Carolina for you. And have a contact. Alot of the posts have pictures of the teams they support.
Post 14 is still around and is at 1301 greenville st Anderson S.C 864-224-6487 Your contact will be Ronnie Whitfield cell # 864-940-3455 call his cell. I spoke with him and he would be more than happy to try and help you. He also went to school with Jim. Thats the best I could do!!! Al

Last edited by batsballsbases; 01-02-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Phil Garry

Al:

I just spoke to Ronnie, good news, he was able to identify 4 or 5 of the other members on the American Legion team in the photo along with the photography studio that took the picture stamped on the back. I e-mailed the photo to Ronnie for ID on Rice and he said that he will get back to me shortly.

Thank again for your help. Hopefully, this will now become a permanent piece in my collection.

Phil
Old 01-02-2012, 06:00 PM
Scott

This is one of the reasons this board is so cool. People helping others out like this. GREAT JOB GUYS
Old 01-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Al

Default american legion

Phil,
My pleasure! Take 2 Wagners out of petty cash and send them to me!
Happy New Year! Al
Old 01-03-2012, 05:58 AM

Phil,
I hope it works out that this really is Jim Rice. That would be a great pickup!
Old 01-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Al

Default Rice

Hi Phil,
What did we find out? Al
Old 01-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Phil Garry

Al:

Unfortunately, after e-mailing a scan of the photo to our contact, I have never heard anything back again. I didn't want to be a bother to anyone so I have just left it alone.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:16 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Al:

Unfortunately, after e-mailing a scan of the photo to our contact, I have never heard anything back again. I didn't want to be a bother to anyone so I have just left it alone.
This post has always intrigued me. Due to this I made it a point to search for another copy of Phil’s photo. I purchased this one from an eBay seller yesterday. The seller is located in Yadkinville NC which is 197 miles from Anderson SC. The seller described the photo in the follow manner.

“Neat item here....one I purchased probably 15-20 years ago and just found in my basement during some work were doing on our house foundation...I've forgotten a few details, but I know that this is an 8x10 color photo of a young team which had Jim Rice, future major league HOFer...hand dated 1970 at two places on the front....I believe this was his high school team (the A on the shirt for Anderson High School, his home town in South Carolina) but am not sure if it was high school or American Legion....I believe the 3rd player on the left on the top row is Rice, but because the names aren't on the back I'm not 100% sure that he's the one; I just know for sure that Rice was on the squad....photo has is missing lower right corner of the borders...there is another 1970 on the back and photo has a few generally minor surface imperfections....”

Although it is in lesser condition than the one Phil posted I was thrilled to find another and add it to my collection. I love mysteries and thought it would be interesting to pick up the search where Phil left off two years ago. I thought the best place to start would be a review of Rice’s HOF induction speech as players usually thank past coaches. I figure I might get lucky and find that he mentioned a coach from his days playing in Anderson SC. I hit pay dirt. In his induction speech he not only mentioned such a coach he mentioned The coach of the American Legion team allegedly pictured in the photograph.

Rice said, “Olin Saylors. I played American Legion ball for Post 14. He came by my house every day and picked me up. I didn't really want to play ball, but Olin was very [determined] to make me play baseball for American Legion Post 14”.

I then did a google search and found a newspaper article from September 2013. Not only is Mr. Saylor still very much with us he continues to work at his own business. http://www.independentmail.com/news/...our-oil-tires/ This morning I located his business phone number and called it. Mr. Saylor answered the phone and indulged me as I told him the story of this photo and this discussion on Net54. I had hoped to talk to him about his time coaching Rice, however, he is obviously a very busy man. He was brief and very much to the point. He doesn't have an email address so provided me with his mailing address and told me to send him a copy of the photo and he would confirm or deny if it is actually Jim Rice. The conversation lasted all of three or four minutes but hopefully my efforts will be fruitful. I will let you all know when I hear back from him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jimricelegion.jpg (29.1 KB, 164 views)
Old 12-21-2013, 02:54 PM

Default Rice

I've actually just listed a pinback button of the Williamsport Red Sox of the New York/Penn League. I mentioned in my listing that Jim Rice had played for the team. I came across this thread and thought I'd post the link that I used to do a little research:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...gi?id=38ab1386
Old 01-02-2014, 07:08 PM
Mikeknapp

I sent Jim Rice's American Legion coach (Olin Saylors) an 8X10 copy of the team photo and a blow up of the teenager that had been identified as Jim Rice. I received this response today attached to the blow up. I had hoped that it was Jim Rice and it is very cool that Mr. Saylors took the time to confirm it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Saylors response.jpg (65.9 KB, 95 views)
Old 01-02-2014, 07:11 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
I sent Jim Rice's American Legion coach (Olin Saylors) an 8X10 copy of the team photo and a blow up of the teenager that had been identified as Jim Rice. I received this response today attached to the blow up. I had hoped that it was Jim Rice and it is very cool that Mr. Saylors took the time to confirm it.
That is really cool.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 01-02-2014, 08:35 PM
Al

Mike,
Glad to see something came of this. I had talked to the leigon post director at length about the photo then I turned it over to Phil as It was Phils intrest and not really mine at the time. Glad to see that you were able to find out more info on the photo! Al

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 01-02-2014, 08:39 PM
Al

Wow I just noticed that I posted that origional post 1/2/12 two years ago to this very day! Chills just went up and down my spine!

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 01-03-2014, 03:54 AM
Phil Garry

Great job, Mike!
Old 01-03-2014, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Nice detective work, Mike!! Way to go.