NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-07-2007, 06:06 AM
Administrator

Default After searching for two years +

Posted By: Steve f

I missed out on one of these 'sets' long ago. Finally caught one after a long safari. Likely worth little and not real scarce, but I had to have this old print.

"Iffy" seller therefore my confidence is low. So I thought I'd garner opinions on authenticity here. Appreciate you looking and be safe, Steve F

Old 07-07-2007, 06:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Why do think the seller is "iffy" ? It's real, not a copy or a reprint.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

This fella deals in kitshy/modern brik-a-brak with no selling history of vintage and the feedback hx is less than stellar. Admittedly, I'm paranoid by nature anyway and have been spared headaches due to the good advice from yawl.

If it can be done, I'll likely send this off to PSA for cert... If they do such things.

Mike, I appreciate your opinion and I feel confidant now. Have a fun weekend. Steve F

Old 07-07-2007, 08:39 AM
Administrator

A 99.2% positive comments rating. Better than most. I have picked up many items over the years from sellers who don't deal in sports memorabilia, or for that matter, know anything about it. I once picked up an item that belonged to Jimmie Foxx, from a woman who deals in antique buttons. She found it at an estate sale. Knew who he was, but not much more. So I guess the lesson is, there are good sellers and bad sellers all over the place. But I sure don't find 99.2% all that bad. But the Toots Shor's item is legit. You see Toots items on here fairly often.

Edited to add: He is hyping it a bit though, as it is far from a "one" of a kind item. But hey, what seller doesn't hype his own stuff?

Old 07-07-2007, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Yep, it's real....no need to give PSA any of your money. I had my eye on that one, but trying to keep focused so I didn't bid.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ErlandStevens

I'll risk looking foolish and ask - "What is it?"

Old 07-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

A menu from Toot Shore's restaurant in New York which was a popular place for celebrities to hang out back in the day. They made some with a baseball print on the back for a celebration event. They pop up from time to time and vary all over the place in price.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:50 AM
Administrator

It was common back in the 30's and 40's, to put pictures of ball players on, or in their menus. I have a beautiful one, with Foxx and family, and one with Foxx and friends, right in the menu. Some time I will post them. To me, one of the neat things about them, is that are very inexpensive. Not only do you get a photo of a ball player, but you also get, to see an old menu, which was much more interersting than modern ones, and tended to have lots of advertising in them, from local businesss surrounding the rest. Rests. also used photos of ball players as advertising pieces, which did not include a menu.