NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-04-2015, 08:46 AM
Greg

Default Pre War Set advice

Looking for some advice

I have recently shifted my focus to pre-war cards. At first I wanted to take on the T206 set but i realized this may be too much to handle right off the bat. I then shifted to just pre-war hofers which is fun but i would like to focus on ccompleting a set.

I have limited knowledge, so i am asking for any kind of advice or recommendations for a set to start working on. Looking for something challenging but not impossible. Also, My budget isnt one that can handle a set like the moster so please take that into consideration.

I just found myself buying one big card a month and would like to have something else so that when I go to shows I can have something to focus on - rather then looking for the one card that pops out at me.

One other thing - because my knowledge of prewar cards is so limited I prefer to purchase graded cards. I understand that gets a little more expensive but i like the peace of mind when purchasing. Low grade with nice eye appeal has been my focus and will remain that when I find a set to work on.

thanks in advance for any/all advice anyone can give.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Depending if you like the chase of completing a set more than the cards you might consider type collecting. It is anything you want it to be, literally. Since I am close to completion on my type set (not recommended) I just acquire cards I like, for whatever reason. I had an e95 already but when I saw this one I had to have it. I finally made a deal with a board member, at the last national, and couldn't be happier with it. There are less costly cards that are just as great looking too. (of course) Whatever you do, have fun with it!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pe95cobb.jpg (75.3 KB, 338 views)
Old 03-04-2015, 08:59 AM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Location: Denmark (don't worry, I have a USA mailing address!)
Default Pre War Set advice

Though I do not own any, I always thought the 1941 Play Ball set would be fun to try (72 cards). Alternatively, you might try to tackle a T206 subset like the Southern Leaguers (48 cards).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
T206 back run: 21/38

Last edited by BicycleSpokes; 03-04-2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:01 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

I don't collect t206, but it is my understanding that the set can be as complex or as simple as you want to make it. If that's what appeals to you, go for it.

My first prewar set was '33 Goudey, which is a good alternative, albeit expensive once you hit the Ruth's. I would recommend '34 Goudey, as it's a smaller set and has no Ruths. No matter what you pick, since you're going for low grade, I would also recommend raw instead of graded. Graded cards are like training wheels, nice to have at first, but you'll never learn what to look for if you just use the slab as a crutch. Plus the likelihood of a low grade goudey being messed with is pretty low, comparatively. Just my two cents anyways.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:21 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
I don't collect t206, but it is my understanding that the set can be as complex or as simple as you want to make it. If that's what appeals to you, go for it.

My first prewar set was '33 Goudey, which is a good alternative, albeit expensive once you hit the Ruth's. I would recommend '34 Goudey, as it's a smaller set and has no Ruths. No matter what you pick, since you're going for low grade, I would also recommend raw instead of graded. Graded cards are like training wheels, nice to have at first, but you'll never learn what to look for if you just use the slab as a crutch. Plus the likelihood of a low grade goudey being messed with is pretty low, comparatively. Just my two cents anyways.
Agreed...you can collect the southern leaguers...or a specific team...or the different backs...or portraits...whatever u want!
Old 03-04-2015, 09:34 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Hello Greg,

A good alternative to T206s are the caramel sets (e92-e98, e101-e102). Most of these sets are small, loaded with HOFers and can be put together relatively inexpensively. They also aren't nearly as common as T206s so some can be a bit of a challenge.

This board can come up with some great suggestions if you give more details about what appeals to you (i.e. portraits vs action shots, time period preference, players you definitely want an example of, b&w vs color, a little more specific on amount you want to spend, do you want to be searching for cards for years or weeks, etc?)

In addition, you'll see a link to Old Cardboard at the top of the page. Old Cardboard has a great listing of different sets and most have an image gallery that you can browse through. It is a great resource when you are trying to find what you like.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 03-04-2015, 09:43 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Since you're still unsure what set you want to collect, I would recommend collecting HOFer's since if you change your focus later, those cards will be the easiest to re-sell. (However, you should always make sure that you purchase for a decent price and not just buy BIN's from ebay. You can use VCP or check past completed sales on ebay for this.)

If you don't want to go the HOFer route because you are by nature a set collector, then I would take some time and just look through some of the pickup threads here (like Feb or March), and just get an idea of what kind of cards that you enjoy looking at. You can also go to other resources like Old Cardboard or even ebay and the auction house catalogs. When you narrow it down to a few sets that you think you would like to collect, then you can come back to the forum and ask the board what they think about these sets and how collectible they are? That is, are certain cards practically impossible to obtain because they are so rare or expensive or is this a good set you to collect? You can also think about if you want certain HOFers in the set that you collect. For example, if you want a Ruth card in your set, you should probably look at 1920s-30s. If you want a Cobb, then 1900s - 1910s might be better. The T206 is always very popular and as others have said, you don't have to limit yourself to collecting the entire monster, but can just look to collecting a subset. The 1933 Goudey is an nice set, but there are 4 Ruth's and 2 Gehrig's as well as the practically unobtainable Lajoie, so that set can become very expensive. Good luck in whatever you decide!
Old 03-04-2015, 09:44 AM
pete ullman

e94 is a great pre war set to collect too...it is tough...but these days there seem to be a lot of them around at good prices.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:49 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Pre War Set advice

E90-1.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:56 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Join the t205 dark side.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:36 AM
Luke Lyon

I think e90-1 might be the best option. T205 is also a good choice. I'm partial to e95/96 (my e95s are attached), but they only have 55 cards combined.

I started out collecting the monster in like 2010 I think, and now 5 years later, I love the set more than ever, but I am not trying to complete it. I am just picking up cards I like, and having a lot of fun with it. So, you never know what direction your preferences will take you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4x6 layout.jpg (77.1 KB, 241 views)
Old 03-04-2015, 11:26 AM
Greg

Some great options and advice so far. thanks to everyone who has thrown some ideas my way.

I do think I want the satisfaction of completiong a set.

I often find myself at shows with no direction. I will often get fixated on one or two cards and the idea of owning these cards will take over until i have them. Dont get me wrong i like having them in my collection and whenever a card catches my eye I will purchase. I am not limiting myself to anyparticular set but would like to have something specific to look for and a goal.

I started with T206s - then I decided to collect just t206 HOFers - then it was portraits. But I had a hard time staying focused on it because i felt like no matter what I did I will never complete that set either way - simply because unless there is something hidden in my attic, I will never own the big 4.

Keep the ideas coming please - headed to the philly show this weekend so I think Ill get started right away.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:47 AM
Al

The great thing is that you have a ton of options, even if you're on a budget.

If you're drawn to the deadball era, you can chase the T207 set without needing to get TOO many big name HOFers, but there are still about 50 challenging cards, including 2 or 3 really tough ones.

You could also do Mecca Double Folders or Hassan Triple Folders, which are two great sets that IMO are undervalued and have a good mix of HOFers. Both sets are gorgeous and pretty readily available (particularly the triple folders).

If you're more into the 1930s, the 1934 Goudey set is a nice one. I'm also partial to the Diamond Stars - great assortment of players, gorgeous artwork, challenging low number series, no Ruth or Gehrig.

The 1930s also had a host of premium issues from National Chicle and Goudey that are inexpensive but have a great assortment of players, and a lot of really nice photography. The wide pen/fine pen issues of 1936 are great and I also really like the R303s (though the premiums aren't as readily available in graded form).

Either way, whatever you choose, the folks here will be able to guide you - there's a ton of knowledge on just about every set.

Best of luck!
-Al
Old 03-04-2015, 12:03 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDiamond View Post
I often find myself at shows with no direction. I will often get fixated on one or two cards and the idea of owning these cards will take over until i have them. Dont get me wrong i like having them in my collection and whenever a card catches my eye I will purchase. I am not limiting myself to any particular set but would like to have something specific to look for and a goal.
This is exactly me. And the fact that I personally settled in on collecting a 1934 Goudey set doesn't help because there are NO 1934 Goudeys at the shows in my area.

When I attend shows I keep asking myself 'What do you collect, Dave?' This generally draws me back to the Pre-1970 Baseball and Hockey HoFers. Mid-grade cause that's all I'm comfortable spending. And like you, graded is preferred (I've been away from the hobby for a long time).

It's still a pretty large collecting scope, but keeps me out of the shiny new cards, signed cards/items, world series tickets, etc...

In terms of sets to collect, if you are willing to go for lower grade cards, which it sounds like you are, the 1933 Delong set is worth considering - and is probably next on my list.

Dave
Successful transactions with: polakoff, Paul S, xplainer, marvymelvin, lordstan, Thromdog, pow323, Golfcollector, OldJudge, frankbmd, kamikidEFFL, jcc6252, sam majors, t206fix, brian29575, bbsports, jfkheat
Old 03-04-2015, 03:00 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

T205's
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:27 PM
Greg Z@y@tz

I'd vote for T205s as well! Just wait a while before you get started so that I can get closer to finishing MY set!!!
Old 03-04-2015, 05:26 PM

Default T200

Another nice "team" set with a high percentage of HOF'ers is the T200's. I recently completed this set and had quite fun building it. There are only 16 cards. However, 3 of the teams will be quite difficult to obtain (I found the most difficult to be the Boston Nat'l closely followed by the St Louis (American) and St. Louis (National).

I liked the fact that the cards were actual photographs and fakes were easy to spot.

Best wishes either way you & go and enjoy the ride.

Z Wheat
Old 03-04-2015, 07:20 PM

I would check Ebay and see what set is the most available. I'm doing t205 and most of the cards are out there, it is just a matter money.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:29 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Everything I have done has been a fun ride.

You could start with a segment of the t206 set, as has been suggested. I had a good advantage with a fair amount of the set before I stated to get committed to it. The nice thing about it is that it is easily the most readily available set and there are always sellers, buyers, and traders.

A very, very low grade t205 was my first set. Here's a recap of my t205 project.

I did a 1941 Double Play which was fun, affordable and kind of interesting.

The set I may suggest, and it's going to be a love it or hate it set...is the 1933 DeLong. I love the look of the set and piddled away on it.

I also did a Roanoke T210, which is my hometown.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:35 PM
je.sse @rnot

I'm almost finished with a 41 playball set. I personally think they're great looking cards, and there are only 72 in the set. Many HOFers, and it won't set you back too much, even in a decent grade.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:07 AM
Greg

Again some great suggestions, references and advice! thanks to all.

I will be checking out some set lists suggested - along with pricing and availability and go from there.

The Philly Show is this weekend so hopefully I can get a jump start on one of these

Thanks again and please keep the suggestions and advice coming