NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-24-2023, 02:26 PM
Ken Marks

Default Auction House Etiquette, when submitting cards for grading

Gentlemen I can use some guidance. Wondering about etiquette of submitting cards to an auction house for them to send to PSA.

Once the cards come back, do I have to consign the cards to the auction? I know I am liable and of course will pay the PSA costs. But I now have second thoughts of consigning the cards.

Do I have to go through with it or can I ask for the cards back after paying the PSA fees?

Interested in all your takes and perhaps an AH or two will chime in as well.
Old 01-24-2023, 02:50 PM
Al Richter

Ken- hope you get your cards back, but your gentleman opening made me think of this

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...i=IHYkejS2MGBc

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 01-24-2023 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-24-2023, 03:00 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

I've never actually had an auction house send my cards in for grading, so I'm not familiar with the etiquette here.

As a general principle, until they're sold, they're yours. I do think that if you're going to demand to get them back, then you should be willing to pay for any costs of grading, handling, and postage, etc.

And there's always the possibility that this specific auction house might feel less inclined to make extraordinary concessions in the future when you want to consign items.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 01-26-2023, 06:47 AM
James Gallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmarks View Post
Gentlemen I can use some guidance. Wondering about etiquette of submitting cards to an auction house for them to send to PSA.

Once the cards come back, do I have to consign the cards to the auction? I know I am liable and of course will pay the PSA costs. But I now have second thoughts of consigning the cards.

Do I have to go through with it or can I ask for the cards back after paying the PSA fees?

Interested in all your takes and perhaps an AH or two will chime in as well.
This may no apply to vintage as much but I did the grading with Goldin, from there site they do state you do not have to consign the cards with them. Unfortunately even though this process was supposed to speed up the sale of the cards they sat for two months before the process got started and I requested them back yesterday.

I do a lot of submissions myself so this was a case where they were cards I planned to sell and would have sent to them anyway so it was just easier to not put out the money before hand, however they screwed it up and that was the end for me.

I guess my question would be why are you having an auction house do the submission if you aren't selling. I don't like losing control of the cards and I feel there is a strong likely hood 1 card was damage but I can't say by who or when so I am stuck there.

Anyway just my thoughts

James G
Old 01-26-2023, 07:33 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I guess that's a question you need to ask the particular AH. I doubt they want to be entrusted with handling submissions just so you can take the cards back and maybe sell them elsewhere.
Old 01-26-2023, 07:40 AM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Most auction houses will get cards graded IF you consign the cards to one of their auctions. They can get them graded much quicker than usual but still you have to wait for the auction to take place, usually 2 months or so, and then 45 days to get paid minus the grading fees and seller fees.

If you are not sure you want to consign them, I would just submit them as others have suggested. If you decide to consign later, the grading fees have already been absorbed by you so you don't have to worry about it.
Old 01-26-2023, 07:43 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

My take is what does your contract with the auction house state? Was consigning a part of the agreement to get them graded?

Also, what's your relationship with this AH like? First time dealing with them or have you been a regular buyer/consignor for years? Are you consigning anything else? or is it an all or nothing?
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 01-26-2023, 07:53 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Auction houses are in the business of running auctions, not submitting your cards for grading. They do that as a service for consignors. I'm not sure if they even have to give your cards back once consigned but if they do send them back I doubt they will ever deal with you again. Bottom line--asking for them back would be bad form unless there was a preexisting agreement concerning this.
Old 01-26-2023, 08:34 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Auction houses are in the business of running auctions, not submitting your cards for grading. They do that as a service for consignors. I'm not sure if they even have to give your cards back once consigned but if they do send them back I doubt they will ever deal with you again. Bottom line--asking for them back would be bad form unless there was a preexisting agreement concerning this.
This!
Old 01-26-2023, 08:46 AM
Ma.tt Whi.te

What does your contract say?
Old 01-26-2023, 08:49 AM
Johnny MaZilli

These types of questions are best if asked directly to the Auction House you're using to submit your cards for grading prior to you sending them.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:07 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

If you are crushed about the grade -- thought it would be a 7 and it comes back a 4.5 - possibly you could decide not to sell and could just reimburse AH. But best to discuss this ahead of time. I have had an AH submit stuff for me but it was always with the understanding that they were selling it. In fact pretty sure signed a consigning contract before they even submitted it.
Old 01-26-2023, 03:45 PM

I work for an AH and as part of the signed contract you are obligated to sell the cards. There have been circumstances where we have made returns but those are few and far between. Changing your mind because you don’t like the grades or had a change of heart will probably spell the end of our relationship.
Old 01-26-2023, 05:23 PM
Scott Russell

Did you sign a contract? What does it say?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 01-26-2023, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
auction houses are in the business of running auctions, not submitting your cards for grading. They do that as a service for consignors. I'm not sure if they even have to give your cards back once consigned but if they do send them back i doubt they will ever deal with you again. Bottom line--asking for them back would be bad form unless there was a preexisting agreement concerning this.
100%
Old 01-26-2023, 09:52 PM
Ken Marks

Thanks guys for the input. Very appreciative of everyone taking the time conveying their thoughts. Just gonna let the cards proceed through the auction.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:53 PM
Ken Marks

Default Graded cards

Thanks guys for the input. Very appreciative of everyone taking the time conveying their thoughts. Just gonna let the cards proceed through the auction.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:54 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmarks View Post
Best of luck on your results.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-