NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-23-2004, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Default Hoboken, how bittersweet the sound

Posted By: Hankron 

As many recall, after Elliot refused to promote me to Vice President of the board Network54 (with key to the executive loo and vacation access to the board's timeshare in Hoboken), I took down some of site's guides and said he'd rue the day.

This post is just to note that, while two guides were returned to their ancestral homes in three ring binders, the baseball card guide is back online and will stay there.

There is a new section where people can ask questions, but I warn that my response will often start with, "First you have to get a handheld microscope." I checked last night on eBay, and saw a vareity of fine handheld microscopes for $10-15 each. What is that? Two dinners at McDonald's? A T-shirt at Target? A music CD?

Old 02-23-2004, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

How do I get there (especially the imagined ones)?

Old 02-23-2004, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Good point: http://cycleback.com/baseballcards/

To catch the other guides, you need an open 3-ring binder lightly scented of jasmine and access to an enchanted forrest. This is only speculation, however. While some have gone with their binders, none have returned.

Old 02-23-2004, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

My "documents" file is about to explode..

Old 02-23-2004, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

In case anybody is wondering, David and I were able to reach agreement on everything, except that I took a hardline on sharing the executive washroom. I was afraid he would steal the gold faucets. To my surprise, he took offense and refused to play, even after I gave him everything else he wanted....go figure!!

Old 02-24-2004, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott

I think part of the problem was the use of the term "loo".

While this would be perfectly acceptible in merry old London, asking for directions to the "loo" in a place like Hoboken might get you a "beat down" just for the fun of it

Old 02-24-2004, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy Scott Elkins

Julie,

Last year I was lucky enough (I guess) to win an Oct. 1859 Harper's Weekley in rather nice condition for the age for a little under $100. In the center, it has a very nice woodcut of a "Base-ball game at Hoboken". This woodcut takes up two pages in the center - guess one could call it a centerfold. Anyway, just wondering if this is the first baseball woodcut in a Harper's Weekly? THANKS VERY MUCH FOR YOUR ANSWER IN ADVANCE - I THOUGH IF ANYONE WOULD HAVE ANY INFO. ON THIS YOU WOULD, SINCE FROM TIME TO TIME YOU DISCUSS HARPER'S WEEKLY WOODCUTS.

Old 02-24-2004, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

engraving (David R. says they are engravings, not cuts). The prices are all over the map, but the most expensive (probably $250--the Ewing '89 cover may occasionally sell for more) is still a great bargain, since people don't seem to realize what terrific collectibles they are. I paid 14.95 for the Providence Grays of '82 with Radbourne, Ward and the Wrights, and $250.00 for "Baseball Champions of 1885".

Against the one you have is that individual players are not named, or even recognizable because of the panoramic view. For it is that it's the first, and shows many 19th century baseball practices that are peculiar to the 19th century--pitcher delivering underhand, catcher standing MILES behind the batter, and the umpire (1) in the next county, a tent serving as a dugout for both teams and a gathering place for the fans. It was 6 years before the next Harper's baaseball engraving came out.

Old 02-24-2004, 12:14 PM
Administrator

I beleive Lew Lipset's Encyclopedia has a list of the Harper's Baseball Woodcuts and would answer that for you. If not the first, yours would be one of the earliest ones.

Old 02-24-2004, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy Scott Elkins

I really appreciate them. I have a couple more in the 1880's with teams (such as Boston Champs 1883) and names. My favorite is the 1859 Hoboken however. May not be valuable, but like Julie stated - it is odd and attractive in a way of things being "different" on the field. Wouldn't you know it however - I sold my Lipset Encyclopedias around two years ago when I made the mistake of selling my vintage collection - so, there goes my researching woodcuts in those! I may order the back issue Hankron mentioned however - should be an interesting article.