NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-22-2004, 05:44 AM
Administrator

Default Need Help Dating Hilltop Park Silver Print

Posted By: Kevin O

I won a silver print (9 1/2" x 12 1/4") of Hilltop Park at an auction this past weekend. I am trying to date the image with a bit more accuracy than simply "1903-1912." Is there something in the scene that helps to date it? I know there are also images of this entrance that do not show the "Greater New York Base Ball Club of The" message on the roof and facade, and in place of the "Of The" there is a simple "N.Y." (see: http://www.ebaseballparks.com/hilltop.html ) It would seem to me that the longer title pre-dates the shorter title, but I have no clear proof of that. Is the two-word "base ball" significant? 25 cent seats? The automobile or the coach driver? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Kevin O.

Old 02-22-2004, 05:50 AM
Administrator

Sorry about the size of the jpeg, but I'm having a heck of a time posting one of sufficient size. Hope this works.

Old 02-22-2004, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

There's a horse-drawn carriage on the left, and a gasoline driven (very early) car on the right. Gas cars took over very quicky after their invention--but not quickly enough to help you date the photo more exactly. 1900-1010?

Old 02-22-2004, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

My other passion is for restoring automobiles. Now, I won't claim to be an expert of turn of the century cars, but that one pictured looks awfully similar to an early Mason (as opposed to a Ford, Buick, etc - which are much more identifiable). Now, If my memory serves me correctly, Mason's were first produced in 1906. So, I would guess your picture is from 1906-07, since the later Mason's were longer and less "box-like". I must admit, the picture of the car is really small though so I hope I don't have the wrong model!

Old 02-23-2004, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: VintageBall--RobertS

This exact photo is featured in the book "New York Yankees: The First 25 Years" (By Vincent Luisi, Arcadia Publishing's Images of Sports Series, 2002) on page 14.

The caption reads: "The entrance to Hilltop Park is shown c. 1903, when the park opened. Note that horse carriages were still in use and that going to a ballgame still required proper dress."

Interestingly, on page 13 two other images of the park are featured -- one with the "Greater New York Base Ball Club" lettering on the roof of the ticket office (?) and one without.

I would have thought the lettering came later, given that the park was rushed into operation before the field was even completely filled in and before the finishing touches were put on the ballpark (see Reisler's book "Before They Were Bombers" for info on the park's opening).

So -- I wonder of the caption is correct. If it is, and one would think Luisi and Arcadia did their research or their copy of the photo had markings, then this photo of yours is an absolutely amazing find from the first year of the Highlanders/Yankees!

Old 02-23-2004, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Old 02-23-2004, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

The word 'circa' was put on this earth for old photographs.

Old 02-23-2004, 02:47 PM
Administrator

my favorite add on discriptive word in latin is (sic), meaning "this idiot author said exactly what I have written, but of course we all know he's an idiot, and it couldn't be wronger (sic).

Old 02-23-2004, 04:51 PM
Administrator

The baseball knowledge of people on this site never fails to amaze me. Thanks so much for the willingness to share your expertise. I also found this picture in the Burns and Ward book "Baseball" (p. 69) that accompanied the PBS series. There was no date in the caption or reference.

By the way, if anyone is interested in using the photo for a website or anything else, by all means do so. If you require a better scan, I can send you a much larger (6.4 MB) bitmap image. There were two other silver prints in the lot as well: one of a very old automobile lineup in Union Square (NYC, not SF) and another of recruiting for the Old Guard Regiment in the same location (the notation on the back reads that the recruiting was for the Spanish-American War, and that the picture was a part of the Philip Degon Exibit (sic) -- just had to use it). If you'd like to see or use them, just ask. They're already scanned.