NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-18-2004, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Default stupid baseball trivia

Posted By: jay behrens 

The distance from the front of the pitchers rubber to the front of home plate is 59'1". It's 60'6" to the back of home plate.

Jay

Old 02-19-2004, 12:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

If a line drive first hits the pitcher's rubber then lands foul, it's a foul ball.

Old 02-19-2004, 01:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David McDonald

Ball was caught by one Joe Forner of 1937 First Avenue, Manhattan. (Answer courtesy of:
http://www.blacktreehistory.com/editorial/bte-hismonFeb02.html)

Old 02-19-2004, 04:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Said his gut had been aching. "You'll plsy, Jackson, you'll play!" said Gleason.

Old 02-19-2004, 06:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: B Kaz

oh, wait....sorry.

Pitcher Dave Foutz had 10 hits as a batter and allowed 5 as a pitcher in 1889 Series. The only one to have more hits at the plate than hits allowed in a post-season series.

Bill

Old 02-19-2004, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jiulie

Old 02-19-2004, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

never mind.

Henry Schmidt went 22-13 as a rookie pitcher for Brooklyn in 1903. He returned his unsigned contract the following spring with this comment: "I do not like playing in the East and will not report."

He never pitched again in the major leagues.

Old 02-19-2004, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

ginger and cinnemon, lemon and parsnips.

er..what the hell...

Old 02-19-2004, 08:16 AM
Administrator

You need to go to your local bookstore and look for anything by "Karen Elizabeth Gordon". At the risk of labelling myself, I'll admit to owning everything she has written - she is a true master of the intricacies of the English language.

Old 02-19-2004, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cy

There are 6 outs in any (pre 9th)inning.

Old 02-19-2004, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

There are now 108 stitches on a cowhide baseball as opposed to 106 on horsehide...

Old 02-19-2004, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: j

I used to be a college English teacher, and presently describe works of Asian art to patrons of the Asian Art Museum in S.F--so my English should be O.K.

But I'd rather hear from you what I said wrong than get a book about English--much.

Old 02-19-2004, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: brian p

In 1911 Rosy Carlisle of Vernon in the Pacific Coast League performed organized baseball's only recorded unassisted triple play by an outfielder.

Old 02-19-2004, 11:19 AM
Administrator

It is possible for a team to get 4 outs in a 1/2 inning if the batter strikes out but reaches first on a passed ball/wild pitch, right? So you could conceivably have 7 or more outs in an inning.

Then again, maybe I'm wrong.

Old 02-19-2004, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

Cy Young grew up poor in rural Ohio. He later said that he developed his great arm strength and endurance because, as kids, he and he brother hunted wild turkeys with hand thrown rocks.

Old 02-19-2004, 12:29 PM
Administrator

The strike-out wouldn't count as an out until the catcher either caught the 3rd strike, or dropped it and then threw the runner out (or tagged him) - in the example you gave, it was a strike-out but never became an "out".

Old 02-19-2004, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J

(from plural of Latin trivium: crossroads, influenced by Latin trivialis: trivial): unimportant matters: TRIFLES ("much of our research is wasted on~"--P.G. Hoffman..AND THE LIKE.

There's nothing in the dictionary saying "trivia" has to deal with facts and figures which aren't important,
but perhaps in sports terminology, it HAS come to mean that. Thus my STORY about Jackson and Gleason was not germaine.

It doesn't seem to me, however, that your posts about "dog's breath" and "cat's breath"--or your suggestion that I invest in a whole flock of books about the English language--were designed to be particularly helpful. WHAT?

Old 02-19-2004, 12:55 PM
Administrator

scott has it correct. There was a minor league game a few years back where a pitcher almost became the first to have 5 Ks in an inning when the cather dropped a second thrid strike and was able to throw out this last batter.

Jay

Old 02-19-2004, 01:43 PM
Administrator

One last damned time I will explain.

I admired your friggin use of words in your post, and suggested books to read (that I own) by someone who also likes to use the English language in an interesting way. She is for ADVANCED users of the English language, such as YOU - THAT's A COMPLIMENT, NOT AN INSULT !!!!!!!!!

That's it Julie - seriously - I'm not getting lured into this again. No more responses to your post no matter how many times I re-read them for possible misinterpretation.

Old 02-20-2004, 12:19 AM
Administrator

I am with scott on this 100%. You keep looking for personal attacks where there are no none. People like you and want you around, so please stop being so paranoid.

Jay

Old 02-20-2004, 06:47 AM
Administrator

For Julie's and everyone else's sake I will forgo any more Simpson's cartoon references in my posts, and will remain completely serious and forthwright in everything I contribute. Heaven for bid we try to bring a little levity to the board.

"Doctor says my nose would stop bleeding if I'd just keep my finger outta there!"

- Simpsons quote - Ralphie Wiggum (sorry I don't have the episode number or airing date) Intended for humor purposes only.

Geez some people have a bug up their a** about "trivial" things...dang it, there I go again with the humor....sorry.

Bill

Old 02-20-2004, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Have no objection to humor--the thread sort of implies humor to begin with, no? But I quit hanging with the Simpsons years ago, so didn't recognize the quote. Thought you were talking about ME being irelevant.

Prefer "King of the Hll" actually. Realize I'm in a minority.

Old 02-20-2004, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Julie has not yet figured out how a "thread" works. She thought that because you post followed hers, that it was a response...the indentation thing has gone right by her.

Now how in hell she thought "cat's breath" had anything to do with her post is beyond me, but she compounded the perceived injury by assuming that my "dog's breath" response to you was simply a further attack on her. I know, sounds insane, but....

Since I took the time to explain this, I will demand a promise out of you - if I EVER EVER respond to one of Julie's posts again, GIVE ME A VIRTUAL THUMP UPSIDE THE HEAD.

Sincerely, Scott - responding to B KAZ

Old 02-20-2004, 07:19 AM
Administrator

...that you're recommending a book on the English language because you're such an admirer of my English. Sure, Scott.

Old 02-20-2004, 07:27 AM
Administrator

So I guess you decided to stay at home and wallow around in what you perceived to be an insult, rather than to assume the best of your fellow human beings, take a short trip to your local bookstore, and look up the damned books as I kindly suggested, which I promise you would enjoy immensely. The "Ravenous Muse" for instance, contains quotes from various works of literature that involve food, which is what your post reminded me of. The "Disheveled Dictionary" is even more interesting.

B Kaz - my thump please.

Old 02-20-2004, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

Harry Hartman was the first baseball announcer to use the phrase "Going, going, gone!" to describe a home run.

Come on, Julie! Throw in some real baseball trivia! And keep all forms of animalia out of it (unless it's in reference to the seagull that Dave Winfield killed ).

Old 02-20-2004, 09:13 AM
Administrator

In the movie "Eight Men Out" (why do I keep thinking Blacksox in this thread?), there was a dummy of a White Sox player dropped from an airplane--loooked like a body. I THINK I remember reading about this occurance, but am too lazy to look it up in any of my books. Did it really happen? (Probably. Sayles is pretty careful).

Animalia: There was a STRANGE ANIMAL running around the field at an As game at the Coluseum--it wasn't a dog or a cat--it was something offbeat. Anyone remember what it was?

"Three hands out!" (end of inning, 19th century)
Hoss Radbourne (his spelling) went 60-12 in 1884, with 73 complete games and a 1.38 ERA. The complete games is a record.

Old 02-20-2004, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

Speaking of birds, don't forget the Dove that Randy Johnson killed during a game. Winfield's was during practice.

Old 02-20-2004, 09:17 AM
Administrator

The first two are minor but interesting stories, and the third is a record that a lot of people know.

No trivia. Maybe the spelling of Radbourne's name...

Old 02-20-2004, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Julie, the animal in question was a racoon.

Jay

Old 02-20-2004, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

Fenway Park opened the same week that the Titanic sank.

Old 02-20-2004, 03:56 PM
Administrator

George Gore drew 102 walks in 118 games in 1886 when it took seven balls to draw a walk.

Guy Hecker is the only pitcher to win the batting title, hitting .342 in 1886 for Louisville of the AA. In 1884 he also became the only pitcher to lead the league in both wins and HRs.

Jay