NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-03-2018, 06:43 AM
Craig L.

Default Re-Backed OJ??

Need some OJ experts to let me know their opinions.

Does this appear re-backed to you? The edges appear to me that it is.

Thanks
Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l400.jpg (12.1 KB, 410 views)
Old 01-03-2018, 06:48 AM
Craig L.

Back
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l400-1.jpg (14.5 KB, 401 views)
Old 01-03-2018, 08:44 AM
David Kathman

It doesn’t look rebacked to me, or if it was, it was done many decades ago. A real OJ is a thin albumen photograph glued onto a thick piece of cardboard, so sometimes you get edges that look like this one when a card is worn. The true OJ experts can chime in if I’ve missed anything.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:38 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

the card is a reprint IMO. The picture is blurry, corners evenly rounded. edges sanded off evenly, the staining on the back looks rubbed in and fresh compared to an older stain that would have probably blended together a bit more.

That is just my opinion

Member since 2009
Old 01-03-2018, 10:23 AM
Craig L.

Something just doesn't seem right with the top, bottom & left sides being smaller than the backing. I also feel the wear is just so uniformed.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:14 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlankf View Post
Something just doesn't seem right with the top, bottom & left sides being smaller than the backing. I also feel the wear is just so uniformed.
For me it is the wear on the card that is suspicious. As far as the reveal goes you have to take into consideration that it is a piece of film pasted to a piece of card stock. Taking that into account I would say its a good possibility to see separation on them.

Member since 2009
Old 01-03-2018, 12:27 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by T205 GB View Post
For me it is the wear on the card that is suspicious. As far as the reveal goes you have to take into consideration that it is a piece of film pasted to a piece of card stock. Taking that into account I would say its a good possibility to see separation on them.
I've seen (and I own) apparently genuine OJs with similar wear, including slabbed ones. The only reprint OJs I've seen that weren't totally obvious fakes were derived from the photographic proofs at the Library of Congress, but those are all 1887 cards of major leaguers, and there were not aged like this. This still looks genuine to me. I'd be interested to hear what Jay Miller, Joe G., or other real OJ experts say.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:37 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
I've seen (and I own) apparently genuine OJs with similar wear, including slabbed ones. The only reprint OJs I've seen that weren't totally obvious fakes were derived from the photographic proofs at the Library of Congress, but those are all 1887 cards of major leaguers, and there were not aged like this. This still looks genuine to me. I'd be interested to hear what Jay Miller, Joe G., or other real OJ experts say.
100% agree. This is legit, and I don't believe it is rebacked either. Rebacked OJ's typically have different wear and tear than the front (if at all).

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 01-03-2018, 12:10 PM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Quote:
Originally Posted by T205 GB View Post
the card is a reprint IMO. The picture is blurry, corners evenly rounded. edges sanded off evenly, the staining on the back looks rubbed in and fresh compared to an older stain that would have probably blended together a bit more.

That is just my opinion
Agreed. Reprint.