NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-27-2002, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Default FREE EBAY LISTING DAY

Posted By: Jay Miller 

I just noticed this morning that all U.S. ebay listings today have the insertion fee waived. I only noticed because Mike Wheat has hundreds of items listed in the pre-1930 category.

Old 12-27-2002, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert

Mike Wheat is not the only one. There are a few people who have listed many items. But the worst is there are NO SCANS of the cards. I have seen a Magie Error with BIN of 24,000 with NO SCAN. Are these people crazy or do they think we are stupid? Every day gets more depressing. You look for cards in 1930 and before and find all kinds of things. Not only cards form 1930 but 1940,1950,1960 all the way two 2003. And that paper junk, they should have a place for people to list that S--T. Getting Disgusted. Rob

Old 12-27-2002, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

Maybe some sellers don't have time to post scans yet. They'll try to take advantage of the free listing day and add a picture in later.

Old 12-27-2002, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

very much the case. It's quick and easy to write the copy, but a good scan takes a little time. And if someone is seriously interested in an item with no scan, they will come back later if the seller says there will be one posted later. I know I would

Jay

Old 12-27-2002, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Does Wheat actually sell anything? I don't think I have ever seen a a bid placed on any of his auctions. He makes Kit Young's prices look reasonable

Jay

Old 12-28-2002, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Albie O'Hanian

Jay-I was wondering the same thing. He has some 1948 Bowman basketball cards I need but his prices are practically double what they sell for.

Old 12-28-2002, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

From a business perspective, I understand all of the reasons for doing it. Ebay makes out on the final value fees, sellers are happy if anything sells since it is all placed risk-free. Since I sell, I threw up everything I had previously listed but had not sold.

Besides, Wheat's listings are hilarious, Monty Pythonesque stuff. I mean those prices. . .

What I can't stand is all the paper garbage that keeps getting misclassified as old cards. I just do not understand why ebay dings me if I so much as fail to list a PSA qualifier in a title but lets this scrap crap get listed as cards week after week.

Old 12-28-2002, 10:40 AM
Administrator

another one that gets me is that in the adverstizing section under tin signs, there is a replica catagory. I can't imagine that there are more replaica tin signs being offered than replica baseball cards.

Jay

Old 12-28-2002, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

It might be nice create a reprint section for vintage cards. And the main catch is that if you don't know whether or not it's genuine, you have to put it into the reprint section. A "I don't know, could be real could be treasure" description automatically gets booted to the reprint section. Once a seller has determined that it's genuine, then you are allowed to put it in the regular section. The T206 Honus Wagners automatically start in the reprint section until the seller has legitimate proof.

This won't happen for a variety of reasons, including that it would be difficult to monitor by eBay, and there would be sticky issues. And I only think eBay creates new categories that are going to be money makers.

Old 12-28-2002, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

A lot of people have said that eBay should only allow trading cards in the trading card section, but I don't think that would be desirable and would have problems. This obviously has to do with AAA. The problem is that I can image many non-card items that fit well into the trading cards, including pins and silks and the Fans for a Fan. I think Mickey Mantle's Topps contract would fit well in the category, as would cigarette packs and Topps advertising posters. A book about the history of Topps would fit in well.

Also there is the impossible (I repeat, impossible)issue about what is and what is not a card. Is a Darby a card? Many King Kelly Cabinet Cards, which would fit well in the card category, aren't trading cards. I bet some people on this board would call a Fatima Premium and others would not. I know some on this board who say an Old Judge Cabinet Card is not a trading card. Is a Topps insert decal or stamp a card? How about a T206 proof? Let's have a vote on whether or not that 1863 Hoboken Harry Wright ticket is a trading card?

Old 12-28-2002, 01:08 PM
Administrator

WOW, there must have been a BIG find somewhere of Wagner REPRINTS. There has to be at least no less than 25 Wagners on Ebay at this time. Unbeleiveable that so many Wagners could be found in one place. And to make it even more rare is that they are all on Ebay at the same time. Boy are we not lucky that there is an Ebay. LOL Rob

Old 12-28-2002, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Hey Jay you spoke to soon. Kit has put up a whole bunch of items and they are not cheap. Rob