NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-09-2017, 08:44 AM
Rich

Default New T206 Cobb back discovery

I guess you could call this "Son of Lucky 7 Find". Just one card this time, but the population of T206 Cobb backs has again grown:

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...test-big-find/

Will be interesting to see where the market is now.
Some other tobacco cards were in this find, too.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:48 AM
Pete Sycks

It's always fun to realize there are still big cards found everyday.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 10-09-2017, 08:57 AM
David Kathman

Wow, there was also a BL 460 in the same matchbox.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:45 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Yeah, I saw the Cobb/Cobb posted by Joe Orlando on PSA's twitter feed a few days ago. Surprised it took this long to get cross-posted here.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:51 PM

Cool find...but the registration on that Cobb, makes it rather tough to look at.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:53 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Halloween version

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 10-09-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Cool find...but the registration on that Cobb, makes it rather tough to look at.
True, the front registration is brutal (scary), but it's is the back that matters.....
Old 10-09-2017, 06:21 PM
Mike

I'm sure it has been discuss multiple times, but why is the Cobb/Cobb back part of the T206 Set or labeled as a T206 ?

Doesn't it deserve to be in a "1 card" set, maybe labeled "Ty Cobb Tobacco Tin Insert ".
Old 10-09-2017, 06:33 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
I'm sure it has been discuss multiple times, but why is the Cobb/Cobb back part of the T206 Set or labeled as a T206 ?

Doesn't it deserve to be in a "1 card" set, maybe labeled "Ty Cobb Tobacco Tin Insert ".
Where would be the fun in that?
Old 10-09-2017, 06:37 PM
Ben North

Quote:

Probably to get more $ out of them. I have never had one in hand but from every account I have read the surface/finish of the card and the card stock used is different than what was used on T206 cards.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:05 PM

Yep, Mike, it's been an ongoing debate for some time now, and I don't think there's ever been a consensus on the matter. If you do a search I can almost guarantee we've done a poll or two in the past.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Probably to get more $ out of them. I have never had one in hand but from every account I have read the surface/finish of the card and the card stock used is different than what was used on T206 cards.
It is also very likely that the card was printed and released well after other t206s. The Ty Cobb tobacco brand was owned by the FR Penn Tobacco Co. which wasn't part of ATC until after the US government broke up the company through an antitrust suit. ATC was hiding their relationship with FR Penn, so they wouldn't be caught up in the lawsuit. It seems unlikely to me that they would allow FR Penn to issue a card while to lawsuit was active, possibly exposing their relationship and bringing them into the suit and potentially forcing ATC to sell their interest in FR Penn.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
True, the front registration is brutal (scary), but it's is the back that matters.....
Ryan, I hate to disagree with you...if we're talking about a Murphy with EPDG back- yeah, sure, front doesn't matter much...but a card of this caliber, and iconic importance? Front matters too.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 10-09-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:11 PM
Jason Wells

Great article I enjoy hearing about any prewar card finds. A few heavy hitters at that!
Old 10-09-2017, 09:24 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:

Jefferson Burdick, who coined the term T206, originally included it in the set; that's why it is considered a T206. It is possible that Burdick never actually held one, and may not have known about the finish. Should it be in the set? That's open to debate. Much like the debate we have about T213 and T215 Type-1s.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:29 PM
T0NY @

Quote:
Ryan, I hate to disagree with you...if we're talking about a Murphy with EPDG back- yeah, sure, front doesn't matter much...but a card of this caliber, and iconic importance? Front matters too.
I'm with ya Michael. The front registration definitely matters.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:06 AM
Bill O

Quote:

Um it’s a PSA 1 guys
I’m not getting your point
Of course registration matters
but the registration is awful along with staining thus it was
graded a PSA 1 the lowest grade there is without damage.
What else is there to do? Chuck it in the trash??
PSA 101

Last edited by Billy5858; 10-10-2017 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Added
Old 10-10-2017, 03:44 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Has it definitely been determined to be from the tins? I thought there was a good theory that these were given out at a corporate/promotional dinner in Georgia, and that's why so many continue to get found there.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:47 AM
Paul S

Good to see great granddad Sullivan in the middle of that pile of discovered cards
Old 10-10-2017, 05:49 PM
Mike

With all the great minds and researchers on here , you would think we could find out how the Cobb/Cobb back cards were issued. Is it a promotional item, is it a Tin Insert, is it a T206 card etc. ? Someone must know the answer to this. Instead of calling it something it isn't ! Let's not call it anything until we know what it came from .

Reminds me of Scrapps Tobacco. No reason to call it that anymore, we know now how it was issued. It's not a tobacco issue.

Many still list Doubleday as the inventor of baseball and Columbus as discovering America. These myths must and have be replaced with the facts.

Hopefully the Cobb/Cobb back card will be listed appropriately when we find the answer based on information and data research.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:37 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
With all the great minds and researchers on here , you would think we could find out how the Cobb/Cobb back cards were issued. Is it a promotional item, is it a Tin Insert, is it a T206 card etc. ? Someone must know the answer to this. Instead of calling it something it isn't ! Let's not call it anything until we know what it came from .

Reminds me of Scrapps Tobacco. No reason to call it that anymore, we know now how it was issued. It's not a tobacco issue.

Many still list Doubleday as the inventor of baseball and Columbus as discovering America. These myths must and have be replaced with the facts.

Hopefully the Cobb/Cobb back card will be listed appropriately when we find the answer based on information and data research.

Mike
The Ty Cobb/Ty Cobb back cards were issued circa Spring/Summer 1910. Check-out this Thread...... http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=122677

TED Z
Old 10-10-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Of course it does, but if I gave you the card, you telling me you would say no thanks? Maybe this card only goes for "only" $100k instead of $150k bc the front is banged up, but I can't wait for the day when my ugly cards sell for only $100k, and it will get that bc of the back.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:47 PM
Mike

Since most of these cards have come from about 3 owners , including a store owner, it doesn't seem possible they were inserted into a box or tin. Maybe a store owner was given a few to pass out to their friends or best customers and they got them all.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:41 PM

Ryan, I luv ya brah, but first of all, no one is giving us $100k+ cards for free, so let's scrap that analogy. I'm just saying, for that type of money spent, I want a well registered card. I'd rather take the 100k and buy a variety of other things, or even one special piece...but, man, it's gotta be in focus.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 10-11-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:47 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Does this mean the whole sheet Was out of focus? I can't remember seeing one similar. There could be a another whole hoard of these somewhere.

BRB

Going to check my sock drawer

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 10-12-2017, 07:33 AM
Henry Shrimps
Banned

^^^ Good pt. This Cobb has the worst front (not condition wise) ever.