NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main PreWWII Forums > Net54baseball Vintage (Pre-WWII) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-08-2017, 06:06 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Well, being in Dallas and close to many on this board, it may be possible to consign many to the local players who set up or rent table space at local card shows. In your current debt, it would probably be difficult to maximize value if you can't afford grading at PSA or BGS, and the bulk submission for each would have your cards back in two months or more. Current BGS bulk submissions are taking an average of 83 business days.
Call JustCollect or the other wholesale businesses and play them against each other. Some will fly to see your collection and make an offer on the whole amount.
Would Mark not be further ahead to choose SGC over BGS? Just thinking but I would assume SGC would make him more money than BGS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GehrigFan View Post
John, yes, I have actually bought from Sean in the past as well as traded him a buttload for my second Lou Gehrig RC (1925 W590)! I could consider a complete sale, but I also think maximizing my finances is critical here. I owe $1-$2 million for medical, which we can never pay, and we have about $10K left total to live on :-(
Mark, I am not very good at knowing what to say in these situations other than saying, I am very sorry to hear about them.. Stay strong and fight the good fight and remember everyone here is praying for you.

Last edited by irv; 10-09-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:08 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

I'm not a lawyer, but it sounds like you just related a veritable cornucopia of malpractice. Perhaps you owe them $2 million. But it sounds like they should owe you a crapton more.

Look into it.

And my thoughts are with you and your family, hoping you can get some strength back and enjoy your family to the fullest.

Tom C
Old 10-08-2017, 06:55 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Would Lou not be further ahead to choose SGC over BGS? Just thinking but I would assume SGC would make him more money than BGS?
Yes, SGC would be an option. I don't know how quick their bulk/club submissions get returned.
1930s Phoebe Phelps Caramel Pennant of Georgia Tech
https://www.comc.com/Users/mjohnatgt,sh,i100 Currently running 40% off sale at COMC!
Old 10-08-2017, 09:48 PM
Rich Klein

Mark:

You are always welcome at my shows. You can set up and pay tables only if you make enough to cover them. We can get you help to get the items in and out as well. I always have room for you.

Rich

I did that at the last Adat show (with permission from the board when I explained the circumstance of why) and just as an FYI -- that person whom I did that for was the very first person to pay his table fees. And since that man had not worked in six months, we were giving him a hand to help him get back on his feet. I'm glad to say that worked. I know it sounds unorthodox (and I'm far from perfect) but sometimes the right thing to do is the right thing to do.

Last edited by Rich Klein; 10-08-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:41 AM
Bryan

Damn Mark, that is quite a journey. I am sorry that you had to go through all of that but glad to be able to read this post because that means you are here to write it. I hope that you continue to get stronger and make a full recovery.

Last edited by Jobu; 10-09-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:56 AM
Ron Kornacki

Sorry to hear about your ruff year Mark. All I can say is to try and stay as mentally strong as possible. That's the only thing that helps me. As far as hospitals go, you and your family need to try and educate yourselves as much as possible. Every trip to the emergency room or a hospital stay for me always ends with complications due to nurses and doctors just either not being fully educated, caring, or just being over worked. I've tried to explain to them that the rules in the medical book don't always apply to everyone. You really need to learn your body. I haven't had to deal with cancer yet myself but it is a definite thing for me in the future. I was born with Crohn's Disease which is an intestinal and stomach disorder. Spending years at a time in the hospital as a kid and being on so many different medications over the years, I've now developed other health issues over the past 20 years from the medication side effects. I'm now 44 years old and still sick every day. When medications stop working, you mentally have to stay strong and fight the issue to the end. We all at some point fall ill and at that point its a matter of making the best of the situation. Stay strong Mark, and everyone else on this message board, stay strong too.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:16 PM
Derek Granger

OMG Mark -

I was just wondering a few days ago what ever happened to you (I think I was thinking about Santa Claus / Secret Santa or something along those lines)! This is horrible news (but I'm happy to hear you're still with us). I am so terribly sorry for you, your wife, and your daughter. This must be incredibly tough for them.

Posts like this make me think long and hard about life and what would happen should I pass. I am 40 and have a wife, 4-year old son, and 1-year old daughter. I can't imagine leaving them behind. I have spent the past three weeks seriously considering a complete sale of my collection, and a post like this makes me think I should make the move sooner rather than later.

You and I have done many deals together in the past. I can vouch for Mark if someone is looking to get a deal done with him for his collection.

All the best to you and your family on this extremely difficult journey. I hope you kick cancer's a$$ and make a full, speedy recovery! Either way, Mark, you are in my thoughts and prayers!

Regards,
Derek

HOF Rookie Collection (Ideal - Indiv)...........: 192/317 (60.6%)
HOF Rookie Collection (Ideal - Indiv or Multi): 231/317 (72.9%)
1911 T332 Helmar Stamps.........................: 173/180 (96.1%)
1923 V100 Willard's Choc...........................: 44/180 (24.4%)

Last edited by h2oya311; 10-09-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
OMG Mark -

I was just wondering a few days ago what ever happened to you (I think I was thinking about Santa Claus / Secret Santa or something along those lines)! This is horrible news (but I'm happy to hear you're still with us). I am so terribly sorry for you, your wife, and your daughter. This must be incredibly tough for them.

Posts like this make me think long and hard about life and what would happen should I pass. I am 40 and have a wife, 4-year old son, and 1-year old daughter. I can't imagine leaving them behind. I have spent the past three weeks seriously considering a complete sale of my collection, and a post like this makes me think I should make the move sooner rather than later.

You and I have done many deals together in the past. I can vouch for Mark if someone is looking to get a deal done with him for his collection.

All the best to you and your family on this extremely difficult journey. I hope you kick cancer's a$$ and make a full, speedy recovery! Either way, Mark, you are in my thoughts and prayers!

Regards,
Derek
I sold my collection (other than one sentimental item worth less than $500) and was constantly told I would regret it after 30+ years in the hobby. I have not, do not and probably will not. I do open packs of modern shiny cards with my young children and that is incredibly fun!

Last edited by Orioles1954; 10-09-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:20 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Hi Mark, really sorry to hear about your awful health issues. Hope you get better soon, and wish you the best.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:30 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Mark,

I had 6 rounds of chemo, 1 every 3 weeks. I did not have any energy, and lots of fatigue.

However, post chemo, I slowly regained energy and strength. While I did have a major set back from the chemo, it put a hole in my intestine, you and I have had different cancers and treatments. Frankly, time has been my ally when it comes to healing in all areas from what I went thru. My obstacle is memory loss, or chemo brain. A lot of things I just do not remember as a side effect of chemo. Maybe my memory returns, maybe it doesn't, but time will tell.

I dealt with a stage 4 lymphoma and resulting blood clots along with every major complication including the above, but nothing close to what you have went thru.

Last edited by KCRfan1; 10-10-2017 at 01:38 PM. Reason: run on sentences.