NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main PreWWII Forums > Net54baseball Vintage (Pre-WWII) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-30-2009, 10:38 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default nice outcome

That was a nice outcome and showed a lot of integrity with the seller in this situation. I will save my other thoughts for another thread. I don't want to tarnish what Scott and the seller did, which is very comendable on both sides. Great job guys......
Old 10-31-2009, 12:09 PM

Default Collecting '70's & '80's Reprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Just curious, why not have them reslabbed as 70's reprints which is what they are. Lots of the collectors sets and earlier reprints from that era are getting some interest. Certainly not as much as originals, but I do think they're collectible on their own if they're properly identified

Steve:

Good point. There probably will be some interest in collecting 70's & '80's reprints; however, the image is not as clear as on an original Exhibit. It becomes more apparent when you compare the two side by side.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:40 PM
Jeff

Default All's Well That .....................

I agree, good job/outcome by those involved (Scott/seller). However, it is incredulous that these were graded in the first place.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:00 PM
keith janosky

I don't by the statement of PSA just made an honest mistake. I don't see how PSA could miss that. One card maybe yes. 10 cards NO. There are only 2 sides to a card, front and back and if the guy looking at it is supposed to be experienced then he should have caught that. Your paying for there knowledge not there guess. If he or she doesn't know then there should have been another person looking at it to confirm. If you can't rely on these third party companies to be more acurate then what good is it. Sure they have alot of things to look at but that is no excuse. Hire more people or hire people that are experienced in certain areas like Exibits. We need to start holding these companies accountable
Old 10-31-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithsky View Post
I don't by the statement of PSA just made an honest mistake. I don't see how PSA could miss that. One card maybe yes. 10 cards NO. There are only 2 sides to a card, front and back and if the guy looking at it is supposed to be experienced then he should have caught that. Your paying for there knowledge not there guess. If he or she doesn't know then there should have been another person looking at it to confirm. If you can't rely on these third party companies to be more acurate then what good is it. Sure they have alot of things to look at but that is no excuse. Hire more people or hire people that are experienced in certain areas like Exibits. We need to start holding these companies accountable
Sounds like they were accountable and reimbursed him for the value of the cards. They were the ones left holding the bag, as it should be, it was their error.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithsky View Post
We need to start holding these companies accountable
How would you suggest "we" do this? Questionable grades by PSA and other grading companies are routinely posted on Net54. Flat-out errors also are pointed out, as was this one.

In this case, PSA contacted the owner and said it will attempt to make its errors right.

So instead of talking in generalities, what would you like to see done to hold "these companies accountable"?
Old 10-31-2009, 02:59 PM
Jeff

Rightfully so, it was their bag. When you are the self-proclaimed industry leader you've got to do better than that, IMO. These are very well known fakes/reprints.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:26 PM
keith janosky

What I was saying in my last post basicly is if a grading company misses one card here or there that is acceptable and mistakes happen most definitly. But when you look at 10 and miss everyone of them that shouldn't be accepable by any company. If you bought 10 items from a store and all 10 were bad would you accept that as being the norm. Not me. It's great that PSA made good but does that make it all better? Maybe in some views maybe not in others. Everyone has there views and this is just mine.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:21 PM

I wonder how they grade their graders? Like if they miss a certain % they are discarded?
Old 10-31-2009, 06:59 PM
Matt Wieder

I believe SGC has two people grade the card independently to arrive at the grade; I would hope that would greatly minimize mistakes like this. If PSA doesn't have that practice, then perhaps they should adopt it; if they do have that practice that means two of their professional graders missed this...