NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main PreWWII Forums > Net54baseball Vintage (Pre-WWII) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-11-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
Don't buy raw cards.
Between a quarter to a third of the PSA 5 and 6 52 Topps cards I possess have some sort of small crease, albeit "just" a wrinkle.

I get when buying raw lots singles on ebay that even the most reputable sellers may miss one small crease or wrinkle out of a large number of cards. It happens.

But what I do not understand are how some of these ebay sellers can continue to sell raw EX cards which consistently have small creases/wrinkles and not get dinged via feedback and lose business......unless now a days most buyers simply just accept EX as the new VG-EX.

I have bought a fair number of raw lots advertised as "EX or better" and "crease free" only to receive a lot where the majority of cards come with small creases/wrinkles. Typically the seller in a case like this gets defensive, makes some excuses and says in so many words "tough". My next response is will you be providing the return label or is ebay. I can never seem to decide if describing a crease riddled lot/single card as EX is just the seller being oblivious or it is intentional.

End rant.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:03 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmo View Post
I'd recommend to just ask the seller/trader if there are any creases, surface wrinkles, etc that can't be seen in the photos before making a transaction.
This. If the card arrived creased after you've been told it wasn't you can simply return as the card did not arrive as described.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/pokerplyr80
Old 10-11-2017, 05:13 PM

I will be doing it from now on. What I've been doing is just asking if the card is Ex to NM because that's what I look for. I never though creased would be considered Ex, but I guess some people do.

From now on, though, I'll be asking if there's any creases, bends, etc in the card.

With the few I've gotten thus far (about 6-8), I've just put them in my set and marked that number as needing an upgrade. I'll just leave the creased ones in there for now then pick up a better copy later and toss the creased one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmo View Post
I'd recommend to just ask the seller/trader if there are any creases, surface wrinkles, etc that can't be seen in the photos before making a transaction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
This. If the card arrived creased after you've been told it wasn't you can simply return as the card did not arrive as described.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:33 PM
Justin

Then there's times like last night when I sent a seller a message asking about issues and by the time I saw his response the card had already sold. You can't win em all.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:45 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Don't buy raw cards.
LOL....Ex cards shouldn't have a crease.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:27 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfan View Post
I don't deal with the whole 'graded' thing and will only buy raw. Unless of course, it's a big name RC like Clemente or Koufax or something. I might consider buying raw then. But otherwise, it's raw for me.

Never bought graded, never sold graded. Don't want anything to do with graded.
Unless you have the opportunity to examine raw cards in person and a loupe to carefully examine the cards, especially the edges (scrupulously avoiding those with razor sharp edges or corners pinched at the top, indicating the card has been put through a paper mill/press, enlarged and then cut back to size with corner defects removed to simulate a NrMt or better appearance), buying raw cards, notably expensive ones, is indeed a practice to be avoided, especially if the card's retention or appreciation of value means anything to you. The card doctors are still out there, even with graded cards (I recently saw a 1907 Wolverine News Ty Cobb rookie--with significant surface markings to establish there was no doubt whatsoever that it was the same card-- go from SGC poor to SGC Ex when someone was able to remove some light writing from the low end of the card without SGC detecting it), but buying graded does offer some significant assurance of authenticity and thus acceptance in the marketplace.

Just some words to the wise,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 10-12-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:30 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Don't buy raw cards.
Good luck with this, my collection wouldn't be 1/100th what it is today if I lived by these words.

You have gotten some good advice here. The one thing I would add is to just simply point out that (in regards to Pre-WW2 cards) EX is actually a pretty high grade.

I personally tend to think of an 5 (EX) pre-war card the same way I think of a 7 to 7.5 (NM to NM+) post-war vintage card. It in many cases is about as nice of a card as one can possibly expect to find for some issues-- even more true when you take out the Goudey, Play Ball and a few other sets that have survived in better condition than the norm for the era.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:18 PM

Have fun with the raw cards, if you like. However, life as we know it today in this hobby often deals with graded cards. Anything you might call close to "investment" type, you might want to consider purchasing graded. Its no fun to pony up for a nice raw card, then someday later realize its not quite what you thought.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:49 AM
Bob Davies

A card with a crease just isn't very Excellent...