NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-29-2008, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Default Wire Photos

Posted By: David

Can anyone give me any information on the different types of wire photos that are out there? Specifically, I'm looking for information on wire photos that would be from the 40's-60's.

Thanks!

Old 12-30-2008, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Default Wire Photos

Posted By: Jimmy

Buy the book Smithsonian Baseball, it would talk sometime to explain to you, but I would start there

Jimmy

Old 12-30-2008, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Default Wire Photos

you could also look at Leland's website and search for old photos

Jimmy

Old 12-30-2008, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Default Wire Photos

Thanks for the reply. I'm not really looking to purchase a book on wire photos. I'm not that invested in what I have. happy.gif I should have been more specific. I bought about 40 wire photos and a fair number of them don't look like wire photos I've seen before. These are on standard 'notebook size' paper, however the paper 'stock' is much heavier (probably close to the stock of a photograph, though these are not photographs). The photos do not have any information on them beyond the description of the photo. Ie. there is no newspaper stamp on them.

I can post a scan, though I'm not sure a scan will show up looking much different from a standard wire photo.

Thanks

Old 12-30-2008, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Default Wire Photos

Posted By: D. Bergin

If you posted a scan of front/back of one I'm sure somebody here could give you some idea of what you have.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Default Wire Photos

The backs are blank. I tried to leave the edges visible for reference.

[linked image]

Old 12-30-2008, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Default Wire Photos

Posted By: davidcycleback

It's an Associated Press wirephoto from 1948. Photos with the caption like that in the image are wirephotos, and the date of the caption is the date of the photo. The label even says its an AP wirephoto-- though that's not needed to identify it as a wirephoto. If you see 'telephoto' on the photo, that means the same thing as a wirephoto (wire = telephone wire).

Old 12-30-2008, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Default Wire Photos

Thanks for the information. I was thinking maybe these were reproduced somehow from an original or something like that.

David

Old 12-30-2008, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Default Wire Photos

The wirephoto process involved putting a photograph into a wirephoto machine, which made an image copy of the photo and sent this image sent via telephone wire to another wirephoto machine far away where the image was developed onto photopaper into a second paper photograph-- a copy of the first. The received copy photograph is what a wirephoto is. Many people use 'wirephoto' as a generic term to describe any and all photos made by AP or UPI or other news services, but wirephotos are only the ones made via the just described wirephoto process.

So you are correct that your wirephotos were reproduced from original AP photos, as that's how wirephotos were made.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:22 PM
Administrator

Default Wire Photos

Thanks, that's the information I was after.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:37 PM
Administrator

Default Wire Photos

As noted, your wirephoto has the caption in the image. If you found the original photo, it would have the physical paper caption pasted on top of the image. As the paper caption strip was put on the original photo just before the wirephoto process, the date in the wirephoto caption is the date of the photo. Thus, wirephotos are easy to date.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Default Wire Photos

photos of the items always helps us, glad you got some information form the board members above

Jimmy