NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-19-2012, 02:34 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Default T206 Restoration

Hey guys and gals, I don't believe this has been talked about too often, but was just curious, what do you all think about restoring T206 cards? Or pre-war cards in itself?

I'm asking because, restoration is viewed as something integral in art pieces and sculptures/statues to restore them to their original beauty. I know in the sports card world, thanks to the grading companies, any restoration towards a card leads to an "authentic" or "altered" grade.

I own two T206's, one is signed that I wouldn't dare touch, and the other is a beater beyond repair, so I have no intention in doing so.

but just to touch up a card and remove MK (ink stains), tain residue etc, just was wondering what you all feel towards this being a good chunk of you have very large extensive collections of The Monster varying in condition. I know it probably has run across someone's mind, but just wondering how it's viewed generally.

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

I perfer an evenly well worn out card over a restored card that looks like a higher grade. I would maybe restore a card only if it had ink or damage that was not caused by natural wear. I'd perfer a Honus Wagner PSA 1 over a near mint looking restored card. Theres only a few T206's worth restoring since it costs thousands of dollars for a professional job. I don't like trimmed cards at all.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

I hear where you're coming from in removing the ink etc. But that's the beauty of the original card in itself, is it has a story to be told with that wear, and no one could hear it beign restored.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Maybe I wasn't clear enough on the ink removal. Legit autographs I would never remove but some random marks that anyone could of made, I would possibly remove if it was worth it. I don't think its as accepted in the card hobby to restore as it is in other hobbies and collectibles. I guess it comes down to personal preference.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Scott

the problem with card restorations is that we dont know where to draw the line...what would be acceptable? what isnt?

instead the TPG have taken the stance that any DETECTABLE alterations will drop the overall grade of the card...

statues are not graded on condition, paintings are not graded either, their inherent value is based on the Artist, the popularity, and the rarity level....therefore restorations in these categories are considered fine, but in baseball cards its a No-No

Last edited by ScottFandango; 01-20-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:51 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

That's a very intereting take on it. I wonder if it would ever be more acceptable in the hobby. IMO, I don't like it. I guess in me comparing cards to art is apples to oranges.

I wouldn't even know where to begin on any of the restoration techniques lol. Plus spending hundreds, or even thousands to restore a card may not be worth it, compared to art which could fetch tens of millions
Old 01-21-2012, 09:27 AM

Default t206

I would take a beater any day over a pristine"restored" example.....just my personal preference.....not into a "refurbie"......gimme a card half torched anyday.....
Old 01-22-2012, 06:54 AM
Steve Birmingham

The other thing to consider is that some of the art that gets restored is unique. If you want that exact Rembrandt you've got to take it as it is restored or not.
Most restorations are more in the line of conservations. Stretchers made of wood that will cause further problems after a few hundred years, Coatings added as earlier preservation eforts removed, centureies of accumulated grime from the air removed, all of these don't affect the originality all that much, the bring the painting back closer to its original state.

Many of the prints that get restored are conserved as well, typically fragile advertising posters from the early 1900's. They're typically backed with linen to support the fragile paper. The cycling one I have is tissue paper thin, and If I didn't frame it I'd have considered getting the backing applied. It's done in a reversible fashion, with a special adhesive(I think a rice paste that's mostly inert) With the posters painting in some missing bits is accepted.

But T206s except for maybe a handful are readily had in a variety of grades.
I wouldn't think that restoring one would be accepted, as the restoration is seldom done for preservation, and is usually not easily reversible.

What I would like to see is acceptance of deacidification of some strip cards, and possibly some later cards as well. Some of mine are already brittle.

Steve B

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
That's a very intereting take on it. I wonder if it would ever be more acceptable in the hobby. IMO, I don't like it. I guess in me comparing cards to art is apples to oranges.

I wouldn't even know where to begin on any of the restoration techniques lol. Plus spending hundreds, or even thousands to restore a card may not be worth it, compared to art which could fetch tens of millions
Old 01-22-2012, 12:08 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
But T206s except for maybe a handful are readily had in a variety of grades.
I wouldn't think that restoring one would be accepted, as the restoration is seldom done for preservation, and is usually not easily reversible.

Steve B
Totally agree but have you seen Wonka's Plank? Rarely does a card make me salivate.