NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-30-2002, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Default A PSA mistake? IMPOSSIBLE!

Posted By: dan mckee

I bought this card off of ebay from an idiot that doesn't know how to post pictures and was too stupid too know it was mislabeled! This PSA mistake cost me a negative, plus $65, plus no card, I returned it, the seller has the card, my money and I have a negative. I love the internet.

Though Paypal has a drop down box during the complaint process that reads "item not as described", they told me I had no case because he mailed something. That is beautiful! I can sell a T206 magie error, mail a brick, and it isn't fraud? Paypal has gone right in the craper since ebay bought them. I got a generic blow off message after I filed my claim, sound familiar? Now I have to try to stop payment on my credit card! I love it!

All because some brain dead college PUNK grading pre-war cards doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground.
The PSA card is the one I got smoked with, the real variation on the left is already mine and I was trying to explain the difference to the idiot seller!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1581989147

Old 11-30-2002, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

did Graham play for the Rustlers as well? In my t202 set, a guy named devlin is pictured playing for the Rustlers and the Giants, twice. The Giants variation is much more expensive than the Rustlers.

The scan is no longer on the auction page; maybe things would be clearer if it was. Like, does it show Graham with the Cubs and what you got was Graham with the Rustlers? (That much is clear--you got the rustlers one).

Slightly confusing--but not terribly, is why you are so mad about getting a variation you didn't have as opposed to one you already had...but if I had bid on "Devlin gets His Man" with Devlin on the Giants, and got Devlin on the Rustlers, I would be mad too, whether I already had one or not. (Neither card is really cheap, because Matty is on the other end of both).

Old 11-30-2002, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jeff s

...besides the obvious one of not getting what he was promised. The Cubs variation books at more than 4x the common Rustlers card.

Old 12-01-2002, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Jeff is correct, I have both but the Cubs is worth alot more than the common Rustlers. I do need Suggs and chase with 1 ear if anyone has them. dan..

Old 12-01-2002, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scgaynor

Dan, I hate to say it, but you should have listened to me two years ago when i was preaching the evils of Paypal. I even had Anti-Paypal links on my page.
I seem to remember you making a joke about my Paypal bashing. Now you know why.

It has been my experience that it is not "if" but "when" you will get screwed using Paypal.

Consider yourself lucky that you are only out $65, I got nailed for about $750.

The people who ran Paypal before Ebay were, in my opinion, nothing but criminals. I had hoped that things would get better, I am sorry to hear that they have not.

Scott

Old 12-01-2002, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

Scott, I had assumed you didn't accept PayPal because you do consignments. This would be a perfectly resonable motive. I once wondered why MastroNet doesn't accept credit cards. I did a rough estimate by taking a conservative credit card charge times the total of their then just finished auction (whatever million $) and the total was at least a few hundred thousands of dollars. The number answered my question.

Old 12-01-2002, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I bought a PSA graded T205 Moran "stray line of type" with a picture of the front on ebay. I BINed it and of course when I got it and flipped it over to see the stray line of type, there wan't one, it was the common version. Instead of a card worth $500, I got one worth $20. Not the same as your situation but just another one of a growing list of incomepetent bungling by PSA. We won't even get in to their grading problems, their mislabeling and misidentifying of vintage cards is beyond belief. In the real world employees get fired for this kind of incompetentce, I guess at PSA they just hand them another twinkie and tell them to keep at it...

Old 12-02-2002, 09:32 PM
Administrator

David,

I used take Paypal just to move the items out of here faster. If I have something in my possession for more than 14 days, it is too long. At the time only about 10-15% of people would actually pay me with Paypal. I am sure if I used it now, the percentage would be much higher.

These days about 80% of the material that I sell is consigned. You are correct that the razor thin margins are another deterent for not taking credit cards. Even if a reliable credit card service were offered to me today, I would not use it.

It is a common misconception that you are losing money as a seller if you don't accept credit cards (at least if you deal in vintage sports memorabilia). After I stopped taking Paypal, I realized it really didn't matter anyway. I found that the prices were the same no matter if I accepted credit cards or not.

Scott

Old 12-03-2002, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Hi Scott! I know paypal sucked for the seller after talking to you way back when. At that point, I stopped accepting it as a seller so you did sink some sense into me. But if you will read your link, it sounds like your buyers were more than protected! they were getting your cards and their money back! To me, that made paypal more than safe for me to use as a buyer. Make sense? Well, at least I thought so, my credit card company said give them 30 days to refund you and if they don't, we will stop payment! I had to do this once before, I did a cc stop before writing paypal, they cried bigtime saying "let us handle it next time", well they didn't do crap!

Old 12-03-2002, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Dan, You are 100% correct, buyers do have more protection than sellers, but as you found out, when dealing with a corporation with such a bad reputation, nobody is safe.

www.paypalsucks.com is among the top 5 corporate complaint websites on the internet. There must be some reason they are so hated.

Scott