NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Default O/T autographed ball value question

Posted By: leon

I am fielding this for a friend......can any autograph folks help a brother out? Value?

"My father has a baseball with 15 or so signatures. I have a few that I
can read like: Vic Rashi, Bill Dickey, Billy Martin, Mickey Mantle, Casey
Stengel, Ed Lopat to name a few. My brother wants to buy it from my Dad
for 800.00. I was wondering if you could tell me if he is taking
advantage of my father? The baseball is incased in a plastic case and all
the signatures are very clear (no smudges). If this is the real McCoy,
should my brother pay my father more?"

thanks much
moderator dude

Old 04-10-2007, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

There are too many variables here without seeing the ball in person. How clear are the sigs? Are the sigs authentic or are they clubhouse sigs? Condition of the ball?

Old 04-10-2007, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: howard

Are there any other Hall of famer's signatures on the ball? Mize, Ford, Berra and Rizzuto were all on the team around the time that ball was signed (1951-1953).

Old 04-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Administrator

I posed the same questions and am waiting for a response....but it does say the sigs are very clear....
LL

Old 04-10-2007, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean Coe

Based on the info so far I think the offer is fair.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Adams

I would say that he should pay more. Mantle single sig balls go for around $1000 in nice condition.
Considering the fact that this ball has Dickey, Stengle, Mantle, on it, I would say $1500+ depending on the quality of the sigs.
But that's just my opinion.

Go Go White Sox
2005 World Series Champions!

Old 04-10-2007, 06:13 PM
Administrator

My initial thought was it is a fair offer also. They did say that "assuming they are the real McCoy" and they are clear sigs....I asked if the ball has been shellacked too....but I believe this is a day job for the person I am helping out so might not have more info till tomorrow...or later. Thanks much for the valued opinions. Autographs are definitely outside of my niche..and, it seems, most times when I get outside of my niche I mess up.....regards

Old 04-10-2007, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Oftentimes a single signed ball of a superstar will sell for more than one containing that star and others. Many collectors like a pristine ball with just one singature. I think $800-$1000 is a fair offer.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

I have bought and sold a ton of stuff in this area and to be completely honest with you $800 is probably a touch high for that ball, but within the range of an acceptable retail price. If anyone is getting the better end of the deal, its your Dad. It is true that Mantle is between $500-$1000 on a certified single signed ball, but multisigned stuff with him on it can be as low as $200 even in good shape if the other signatures are not anything special. Since it has a bunch of other nicer signatures on it, $800 is all right, but I would bet my right arm it would go for less than that on ebay or even in a bigger auction, even with a nice cert from PSA/DNA or Jimmy Spence.

It could be worth $800 if it were a vintage ball with beautiful signatures. It is worth less than $800 if the ball is a 1980's ball. It is absolutely worth less if the ball is anything but very nice. Multi-signed stuff is not worth nearly what single signed items are

I have a 1970's Old Timers ball with 28 sigs including Satchel Paige, Joe DiMaggio, Walter Alston, Stan Musial and lots of other Hall of Famers and stars on it which is very beautiful. I would sell in a heartbeat for $500 and it is nicer than the ball you described. It is just tough with multisigned items, but $800 is not outrageous; just a touch higher than retail.

Rhys Yeakley

Old 04-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

single signed is for the most part valued at more...unless its babe ruth and lou gehrig. that said, i think $800 is more than fair. if it was a regular dealer i'd pay between $400-500.

why is dad selling it to his son? does dad need the $ to buy another signed ball, or is son just offering $ to take it off of dad's hands?

if dad got the sigs by himself, the sentimental value would be higher, hope son knows that

Old 04-10-2007, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

It's a Yankees ball with some good names. I don't think he's taking advantage of the seller.