NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Default Displaying cards--fading concerns?

Posted By: Mike Ernst

In a previous thread, that question is posed. How real a concern is it?
I'm not that concerned.
In 1971 I took three of my T-206 duplicates, put them in an oval frame on a felt background, and gave them to my Dad.
He displayed them on his desk until he died in 1990. Since then I have had that on the dresser in our bedroom--I recently compared the colors of those three with the three that are in page pockets and have been out of the light since 1911, and I could see no difference in the depth or tone of coloring.
My experience with a display of 1970 and 80's Topps cards of my long-time friends and teammates Gary Neibauer and Doug Bair are quite different--they are significantly faded.
Any others have experiences to share?

Old 12-07-2006, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bob beyerle

If they're in Direct sunlight, or in a sunny room (I'm in Southern California) they will fade. May take a few months or a year or so to notice, but there will be minor and possibly major fading. I saw a PSA graded hofer in a card shops window that was ruined by fading (although still graded a PSA 5).

Old 12-07-2006, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim James

I just posted on the framing thread,check that response,and may I add that direct sunlight on any artwork,printed or original should be avoided.You can protect them with conservation grade glass,but I wouldn't risk allowing exposure to high priced pieces.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Geno

The other solution is to live in England, like I do - direct sunlight is never a problem...

Cheers,
Geno

Old 12-07-2006, 10:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim James

Not allot of good BB card shows there.

Old 12-08-2006, 04:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

I've only displayed our larger prints, not cards;

Get creative and you could easily construct/modify a standard picture frame to accept graded cards.

Also, A C Moore (stores with a framing shop), can cut UV glass to fit any frame, and they sell many different shapes of frames. An 9x12" cut sheet of UV glass -for a M101-2, cost less than $20 a year ago. They can also cut acid-free mats to accomodate raw cards.

UV is just as clear as standard glass.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

You can make a digital photo of your card(s), whether as straight reprints or a sharp
composed photo. You then will be displaying the framed, nice looking photo of your items
and have zero worry about damage to the cards. I once made a scan of Cap Anson in the 1870s Harper's
woodcut of the A's. Someone matted and framed it for me, and it looks sharp on the wall.
As it's a 5 cent computer print, direct sunlight and sun damage is no concern. The
funny part would be if someone stole it thinking it was worth something.

These days your local drug store or photo shop can probably make nice 11x14
or larger display photos at decent price, whether from a digital or regular
camera. A framed and matted postcard-sized T206 Ty Cobb portrait would look
sharp on the wall. That printed on the Cobb back is "Developed at your
friendly Rite-Aid Drug Store January 12 2007. Visit our Website" will ensure
that posterity won't confuse it as original.

Old 12-08-2006, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

YIKES!

Old 12-08-2006, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

I have many art prints hanging in my house out of direct sunlight. Any antique dealer or appraiser will tell you the sun is the worst enemy of anything printed, including baseball cards.

People said it was a million dollar wound. But the government must keep that money, cause I ain't never seen a penny of it.

Old 12-09-2006, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

Yes, this is the one set back us card collectors have. It's hard to play show and tell when people come to the house. When Jay comes over from Florida I pull out a couple of items to show him that have not made it to the box. I wish I could display cards to enjoy them more, however I will just keep to my website which is the safest and easiest way to display.

http://www.zmotive.com/gallery/jccards

Old 12-09-2006, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy Leiderman

I use Light Impressions for framing and archival supplies.

http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com

I like to display every baseball photograph I own at my home and office and rotate them from time to time.

If you use the right conservation mat board, frame and UV-protective glass, you'll have no problems.
Just remember the rules of no direct sunlight or liquid manipulation near your valuable pieces.

If you are serious about preservation and conservation of antique photographic prints, I'd recommend locating a copy of James Reilly's book, "Care and Identification of 19th Century Photographic Prints"

A bit difficult to locate, but worth looking for.

[Edited to add book information]

Old 12-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: William Brumbach

I work in a mail-order pharmacy and in one area we have automated counting machines. Each "cell" that has drug to be automatically counted has a pair of sample pills on the outside as part of the verification. Many of the pills will become faded over a relatively short period of time, 1-2 years. It is a climate controlled room with flourescent lights doing this, so I can only imagine the impact of ultraviolet rays from the sun.

On a separate note regarding displaying of cards, I am progressively leaning towards not doing that. I am at a point where I do not want people that I know to know that I collect anything anymore and play dumb most of the time with people that do know. I am tired of answering questions about the most expensive cards I have, how many cards I have, if I have any Babe Ruth's or that Honus Wagner card, or who is that guy and why is he so expensive. No matter what I am collecting, I am inevitably get stuck with having to discuss with 8-year-olds about Barry Bonds and Ryan Howard. And stories about stuff getting stolen like the gentleman in Chicago recently only reenforce this paranoia.