NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Default PSA, SGC, GAI - The Authentic Grade

Posted By: peter chao

Between the three major grading companies, is there any real difference when they grade a vintage card authentic?

Peter C.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Peter- I think only in the perception of value by the collector. There's not a lick of difference between an authentic GAI, PSA or SGC card and yet my gut feeling is that a PSA authentic will sell for more than a comparable condition problem SGC authentic card which will sell for more than a comparable condition problem GAI authentic card. Don't ask me why. I have a couple of gorgeous HOF caramels which are in GAI authentic slabs and they'll stay there but I realize I could probably get more for them if I ever sold them in they were in PSA holders.
tbob

Old 09-19-2007, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycle

If that's the case, Bob, that would show the irrationalness involved in slab collecting. If a collector feels a PSA7 is more reliable than a SGC7 or GAI7, that is one thing. If collectors says a PSA AUTH (trimmed) is worth more than the same card SGC AUTH (trimmed), that is irrationalness demonstrated.

What would be their rationale for paying less for the GAI label and more for the PSA label on the same card with the same AUTH (trimmed) grade? Do they say GAI is less reliable than PSA at detecting trimming? The problem with this reason is it would be reason for paying more for the GAI label not less, as it would mean the GAI labeled card has a higher chance than the PSA of being not trimmed.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

I still dont understand what makes one card a 1 or 10 and one authentic...this one sure looks like it would fall into the authentic category instead of a numerical holder to me...

Old 09-19-2007, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

Though I disagree on the order Bob suggests, the reasoning for a hierarchy is sound. If you believe one company has greater powers to discern condition AND authenticity, then you will happily pay a little more for the card slabbed by the inferred more knowledgable company.

My 'authentic' order (for vintage) would be:

SGC
PSA
GAI / BVG

In my estimation, SGC carry more knowledgable graders regarding vintage issues coupled with a greater likelihood that any card in doubt can get passed to a set of eyes I really trust, than do the other companies. My belief is that PSA over endow responsibility to graders who haven't much experience with vintage cards, and don't 'proof read' those graders estimations sufficiently.

Thus I would certainly be more comfortable buying a card graded SGC Authentic than PSA or GAI, albeit a smaller issue of concern for me than the varying grading standards that the companies subscribe to.

Daniel

Old 09-19-2007, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

i do believe auth. is saying the card holdered is altered. colored,trimmed,rebacked changed in some way to alter the card, usually to decieve but sometimes not.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Dennis,

Suppose a card was purposely altered to decieve and the grader knows it, would the grading companies still call it authentic?

Peter C.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty KOhler

This happened to me this year... I sent many common 1915 cj`s to SGC for grading..... one came back marked pressed but not slabbed. I then took it to the National to ask why they would not slab it Authentic?? They agreed card was authentic but would not slab it. I then walked it over to PSA and told them my story......... card was then slabbed by PSA Authentc with no real explaination from them as to why SGC wouldn`t slab it. Still don`t understand Authentic grade. I would think that it is ANY card no matter condition that is Authentic......Right????

GO YARD

Old 09-21-2007, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Kohler

Are there different definitions for Authentic grade from the Big three?

GO YARD

Old 09-22-2007, 12:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Old 09-22-2007, 04:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

peter.....yes,as long as the card was authentic

Old 09-23-2007, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Gallo

Well I would think that SGC felt the card since it was pressed would fall under restoration and therefore would not slab it.

The PSA 1 show in this thread IMO should not be a 1 and should only be authentic.

The difference between a 1 and an authentic is tough sometimes. It really depends on the damage and how it impacts the card. I had 5 1915 Cracker Jacks that were graded in a large group some were 1's and some authentic. When I asked why some were only authentic when they looked just like the 1's the graders agreed and all were put into 1 holders. MY Collins down grade is on of these cards and there is just some of the white boarder missing to the edge, but an otherwise nice VG ish card. I think they should have been 1's as the cards were trimmed or altered just had some dame chipping.

I really like the newer SGC authentic holders that list the defect. To me that is a huge advantage and very important. I think it it near pointless to put a card in an authentic holder without listing why.

There is certainly a difference between a card that has been trimmed or one that has been recolored or otherwise restored. I would not buy a restored card but haves learned to accept certain trimmed cards.

Anyone got a trimmed 1914 CJ Matty to sell??

James G

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Kohler

But if the card was altered it is still Authentic... meaning not a fake or reprint...........right??

GO YARD

Old 09-23-2007, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

Correct.

PSA uses "Auth" when they don't know what they're doing, i.e. grading hand cut cards.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Gallo

Well it really depends on what was done to it.

Ie see the rebacked thread. I don't think a card that has been rebacked should be in an authentic holder.

Likewise if a card has had restoration or some other type of serious work.

If it is just a matter of trimming that is pretty cut and dry but when you get into odd issues of cleaning, pressing fixing stuff or rebacked cards that is something totally different.

I know SGC will look at something on a case by case basis. I have a card that has a large piece just off the back. SGC said that if I tape it, it will only get an authentic grade, if I leave it off it could get a 10.

It just depends, I don't think there is a cut and dry rule, although I think PSA using the authentic grade too often, SGC tends to shy away from it unless you specifically ask for it.

James G

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.