NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-11-2015, 12:30 PM

Default need help with some autographs on a ball with lots of late 60's Reds players

I have a baseball my wife picked up for me along with the multiple HOF player autographed ball I mentioned in another thread. This ball has a bunch of autographs from the Cincinnati Reds from the 1960's. None of the players that I can recognize came up during the 70's so I'm sure it was all done back in the late 60's. Some of the autographs are clear and easy to read and they are pretty recognizable players. But some are fairly obscure. I remember a lot about the Reds from that time period but it wasn't until the 70's that I became a serious fan.

I'd like some help with the autographs I don't recognize. I have photos of the entire ball that I will list below the names of the players I know on the ball. Here's the list I have so far and the photo that shows their autograph. I also have an indicator of where the other autographs are.

Photo 1

league stuff
Hal Smith
--------------------------------------------------------------

Photo 2b

Tommy Helms
(?)
Tony Cloninger
Bob Lee
(?)

Photo 3

Dave Bristol

Photo 4
Jay Ritchie
Jim Maloney
Tony Perez
Johnny Bench
Woody Woodward
Pete Rose

Photo 5

Vern Benson
Jim Beauchamp
Ted Abernathy
(?)
Don Pavletich
Pat Corrales

Photo 6

(?)
George Culver
Lee May
Alex Johnson
Vada Pinson

Here are the links to the photos. There are too many to post here and I posted them pretty big so the details show up. If anyone wants I can retake a photo.

http://www.a-framevideo.com/Reds_baseball_1.JPG

http://www.a-framevideo.com/Reds_baseball_2b.JPG

http://www.a-framevideo.com/Reds_baseball_3.JPG

http://www.a-framevideo.com/Reds_baseball_4.JPG

http://www.a-framevideo.com/Reds_baseball_5.JPG

http://www.a-framevideo.com/Reds_baseball_6.JPG

Last edited by CJ_56; 05-11-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:04 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

The un identified signature in photo 6 looks like Jim Bragan.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:04 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

agreed. when I try to open photo 2 and 5, the links don't work.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:39 PM

I think Jim Bragan is right. I was told that by someone else too. He was a coach which is why I couldn't find him listed on a roster I guess.

I'd like to post those photos again but my DSL modem took a dose of lightning today and I'm tethering from my cell right now. It would take all day to upload those photos with my setup. I won't get a new modem for a couple of days. I'll upload again after that and point out that I did it.

BTW I can get those photos to load. My server is kinda hinky about large images I guess. I have had problems but using a different browser has helped. Rebooting the browser I was using helped too. It figures that the 2 photos where I need help are the ones that won't load. That's how my luck goes I guess.

Last edited by CJ_56; 05-11-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:54 PM

I started checking the coaches and found Vern Benson. He's in the #5 image above Jim Beauchamp. I'm getting close to having them all figured out. In image 2 I now have the bottom sig as Gerry Arrigo.

Last edited by CJ_56; 05-11-2015 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:38 AM

I'm thinking Fred Whitfield completes the set. It's a tough one because it's faded badly but I checked his autograph on the net and it is pretty close. I wouldn't bet the farm on it but I believe that's who it is. Here's a photo of that last autograph. I cropped the image down to just this single autograph so I could post it with my phone.

Here's an image that I doctored using brightness and contrast and color saturation tools. It hasn't been altered to make it look different. It just brings out what is there better.

This one was tough because it was apparently done with a pencil and it has faded badly. This is the last one too BTW.