NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-08-2017, 11:09 PM
Steven Finley

Not that I have a dog on the fight, but to me there is a big difference in paying retail and getting a bad item and and paying pennies on the dollar on a long shot. If you've spent as much in the hobby recently as you state you have I'd hope you'd know close to retail what an authentic gamer's value is - and it ain't $250.

One of two things happened: either someone was fishing for a sucker and snagged one, will take the item back and your $20 and go fishing again. Or - you tried talking someone who didn't know better down from 10% of an items true value to 4% and ended up burning yourself. Either way it's your world and you can play in it however you please, but don't get upset if that gives some people a unsavory opinion of you because really nothing in this makes you look very good. Live and learn. Happy collecting.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:51 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
Not that I have a dog on the fight, but to me there is a big difference in paying retail and getting a bad item and and paying pennies on the dollar on a long shot. If you've spent as much in the hobby recently as you state you have I'd hope you'd know close to retail what an authentic gamer's value is - and it ain't $250.

One of two things happened: either someone was fishing for a sucker and snagged one, will take the item back and your $20 and go fishing again. Or - you tried talking someone who didn't know better down from 10% of an items true value to 4% and ended up burning yourself. Either way it's your world and you can play in it however you please, but don't get upset if that gives some people a unsavory opinion of you because really nothing in this makes you look very good. Live and learn. Happy collecting.
EXACTLY...Personally, it just rubs me the wrong way. You have imbecile's making up the "GRANDPA" stories and the ever popular ESTATE sale... When you see either of these with your buying experience on SH** BAY, you should know it's FAKE PERIOD! RUN LIKE RABBIT WITH THORN IN PAW.

Unfortunately, you have this "something for nothing" mentality and it really isn't becoming or a very smart way to live your life, IMHO. BUT, it is your life and if you want to be a dopey buyer, go right ahead... I prefer to live the life of "If it's too good to be true, it is!!!!!!! Now I won't find a book with JFK's signature for 2 bucks, but I'm not going to get hammered by scammers either. I'll just be happy buying the best I can and moving on. If I make a mistake, I just suck it up. You like finding deals and 99 out of 100 this is what you're going to get...Mule kicked in the throat.

***THIS IS 1 of 2 reasons I have quit collecting and QUIT E-BAY. I'm sure you are a great guy and this isn't a personal attack, just my opinion. Still, if I ever come out of hiding to sell any of my stuff, Id like your ID too so I can block you as a buyer.

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 01-09-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:11 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
EXACTLY...Personally, it just rubs me the wrong way. You have imbecile's making up the "GRANDPA" stories and the ever popular ESTATE sale... When you see either of these with your buying experience on SH** BAY, you should know it's FAKE PERIOD! RUN LIKE RABBIT WITH THORN IN PAW.

Unfortunately, you have this "something for nothing" mentality and it really isn't becoming or a very smart way to live your life, IMHO. BUT, it is your life and if you want to be a dopey buyer, go right ahead... I prefer to live the life of "If it's too good to be true, it is!!!!!!! Now I won't find a book with JFK's signature for 2 bucks, but I'm not going to get hammered by scammers either. I'll just be happy buying the best I can and moving on. If I make a mistake, I just suck it up. You like finding deals and 99 out of 100 this is what you're going to get...Mule kicked in the throat.

***THIS IS 1 of 2 reasons I have quit collecting and QUIT E-BAY. I'm sure you are a great guy and this isn't a personal attack, just my opinion. Still, if I ever come out of hiding to sell any of my stuff, Id like your ID too so I can block you as a buyer.

Yea this didn't sound personal at all Chuck.

"Unfortunately, you have this "something for nothing" mentality and it really isn't becoming or a very smart way to live your life"...

according to who?

"it is your life and if you want to be a dopey buyer, go right ahead"...

Not personal at all

"I'm sure you are a great guy and this isn't a personal attack, just my opinion."...

That is a pretty oxymoron sentence.

I won't defend myself to you. Just tell me your buyer ID and I won't bid on your junk trust me.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:35 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Really hate seeing this type of caustic banter on net54. One of the best things about this site is the ability to help and educate others. That way, we keep the hobby thriving/strengthen its future/retain a strong collector base. It seems like just yesterday that I was on the "asking" end rather than the "helping" end. Many of us are now dying off, or are selling-off due to retirement, layoffs and downsizing. So I think its admirable (and good for the hobby) to help out the newer/younger collectors...

True, the OP could be doing more of the legwork and necessary research prior to posting. That goes without saying... especially when trying to "steal" something purportedly game-used like this. But this is a difficult area for any collector (regardless of his/her experience). Game-used Gloves from the '50s did not have the same characteristics as those made today. They were not as personalized, no names were embroidered into the leather, etc. So I felt this was a valid post.

That said... I would be very hesitant to buy something like this without some specific provenance, a family letter or a photo-match. There are just too many "bad eggs" out there, and high-end gloves were not exclusive to professional ballplayers.

Hope this helps, and best of luck!
Old 01-09-2017, 02:38 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Really hate seeing this type of caustic banter on net54. One of the best things about this site is the ability to help and educate others. That way, we keep the hobby thriving/strengthen its future/retain a strong collector base. It seems like just yesterday that I was on the "asking" end rather than the "helping" end. Many of us are now dying off, or are selling-off due to retirement, layoffs and downsizing. So I think its admirable (and good for the hobby) to help out the newer/younger collectors...

True, the OP could be doing more of the legwork and necessary research prior to posting. That goes without saying... especially when trying to "steal" something purportedly game-used like this. But this is a difficult area for any collector (regardless of his/her experience). Game-used Gloves from the '50s did not have the same characteristics as those made today. They were not as personalized, no names were embroidered into the leather, etc. So I felt this was a valid post.

That said... I would be very hesitant to buy something like this without some specific provenance, a family letter or a photo-match. There are just too many "bad eggs" out there, and high-end gloves were not exclusive to professional ballplayers.

Very well said Mark. +1
Old 01-09-2017, 03:03 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

I don't see a single post on here as being anything other that us actually trying to help the OP. I know he and you must see it differently and that is too bad.

I know I am trying to explain that at some point in time he needs to grow up and take responsibility for his actions. He is still in teenager mode and saying "but things are different now, It's not my fault". The only difference is it now takes several more years for young men to grow up mentally and take responsibility for their actions. It has nothing to do with intelligence.

Buying is buying it does not matter if it is the internet, estate sale, garage sale, or a flee market. They all have good and bad sellers.

We all went through the "but things are different now, It's not my fault" stage. The problem is at my age that was in your teenage to early 20's. Now it is lasting into peoples 30's. Ever hear the phrase "never trust anyone under 30"? When I was a kid it was 25, then it changed to 30, and now when it is said I hear people add 40 is the new 30. Again this is about responsibility not intelligence.

I owned a construction company from 1993 till a few months ago when I turned in my tax licences. Guys in their 20's are who do most of the work. So I have watched this progression of taking longer to grow up and take responsibility first hand in the work force. It sucks now trying to find someone to actually do work and put down their damn phone.

This is just my honest opinion.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:12 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I don't see a single post on here as being anything other that us actually trying to help the OP. I know he and you must see it differently and that is too bad.

I know I am trying to explain that at some point in time he needs to grow up and take responsibility for his actions. He is still in teenager mode and saying "but things are different now, It's not my fault". The only difference is it now takes several more years for young men to grow up mentally and take responsibility for their actions. It has nothing to do with intelligence.

Buying is buying it does not matter if it is the internet, estate sale, garage sale, or a flee market. They all have good and bad sellers.

We all went through the "but things are different now, It's not my fault" stage. The problem is at my age that was in your teenage to early 20's. Now it is lasting into peoples 30's. Ever hear the phrase "never trust anyone under 30"? When I was a kid it was 25, then it changed to 30, and now when it is said I hear people add 40 is the new 30. Again this is about responsibility not intelligence.

I owned a construction company from 1993 till a few months ago when I turned in my tax licences. Guys in their 20's are who do most of the work. So I have watched this progression of taking longer to grow up and take responsibility first hand in the work force. It sucks now trying to find someone to actually do work and put down their damn phone.

This is just my honest opinion.
I respect your opinion, but by the way you are speaking you can tell you are not with the times. "put down their damn phones"? That is the world we live in today whether you or anyone else likes it. You either change with it or get left behind. I have responsibility but am not dumb. To not take a chance on something you know nothing about when you are covered and can ask for opinions is foolish in my opinion. I have nothing to lose but learning along the way and by doing so. Just because you have been burned before, does not mean you need to be sour grapes about my approach. I figured out a way to be safe with my chances. What is wrong with that? This has nothing to do with acting like a teenager. It comes down with a simple method I use that members on here frown upon. I have never ONCE on here ever bashed someone or answered a post without advice when I answered aside from saying nice item etc. The fact that people answer posts like mine with long winded NON answers is baffling. With the effort you put into this you could actually help educate us younger guys.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:23 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE View Post
I respect your opinion, but by the way you are speaking you can tell you are not with the times. "put down their damn phones"? That is the world we live in today whether you or anyone else likes it. You either change with it or get left behind. I have responsibility but am not dumb. To not take a chance on something you know nothing about when you are covered and can ask for opinions is foolish in my opinion. I have nothing to lose but learning along the way and by doing so. Just because you have been burned before, does not mean you need to be sour grapes about my approach. I figured out a way to be safe with my chances. What is wrong with that? This has nothing to do with acting like a teenager. It comes down with a simple method I use that members on here frown upon. I have never ONCE on here ever bashed someone or answered a post without advice when I answered aside from saying nice item etc. The fact that people answer posts like mine with long winded NON answers is baffling. With the effort you put into this you could actually help educate us younger guys.
It's all good, trust me you will understand my post later in life. Happy collecting and I am done here.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:23 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Does "caveat Emptor" still apply?

It seems your philosophy is to try to get a deal from a seller, then if it doesn't pan out, you can just ask for a refund.n't "Back in the day" a man's word meant something, a commitment was a commitment, unless an item was grossly misrepresented. If someone does know about an item, and you agree to buy it, even if you are hiding behind your computer and ebay's policy, you own it. If you knew forewell the seller had no idea, coming on here to ask afterwards is cowardice.

You because you can return anything, doesnt make it right. I'm not saying this is the case, but it could be at some point.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 01-10-2017, 06:25 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

I think this summarizes my main issue with your approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE View Post
I have responsibility but am not dumb. To not take a chance on something you know nothing about when you are covered and can ask for opinions is foolish in my opinion. I have nothing to lose but learning along the way and by doing so. Just because you have been burned before, does not mean you need to be sour grapes about my approach. I figured out a way to be safe with my chances. What is wrong with that? This has nothing to do with acting like a teenager. It comes down with a simple method I use that members on here frown upon.
Let me be very clear that when I say "ignorant" for the rest of this post, I am not referring to lack of intelligence, but rather a lack of knowledge of the facts.

When you buy something out of ignorance, become a little more educated through research after the purchase, and return the item because it is not what you originally thought it might be: This is not a no-harm transaction. You may have gained a little knowledge and experience as a result, but that experience was 100% at the expense of the seller. That's not cool in my book.

You make a point that if someone isn't selling fraudulent items, they don't have to worry, because you don't return something if it's authentic. But just because something turns out to be other than what you in your ignorance assumed it to be (as in the case of the Jackie Robinson photos you recently posted about) does not make the seller a crook or a purveyor of fraudulent items.

There have been plenty of times when I have dealt with ignorant buyers: ones who had some idea of what they were looking for, but who simply did not have all their facts straight about what I was selling and somehow convinced themselves that they were getting something different. I am thankful when these ignorant buyers take the time to ask questions beforehand, and patiently explain to them why what I have is not what they are looking for, knowing that it will profit me none. Too often though, the buyers do not ask questions until after they have snatched up their "treasure" from what they take to be a seller who doesn't know his wares (after all, I've only been on eBay for 20 years!). I ship the item off, and then the questions start. "Why doesn't it have this feature? How do you know that about it? Where did you get this? Does it have a COA? How do I know it's real if it doesn't have a COA? Why didn't it come with the COA that you neither mentioned nor pictured? How can I be sure it's really what you never said it was but what I inferred you might be implying from your description that was carefully worded to not call it what I want it to be?" And I start grinding my teeth, because I know that I'm about to pay for this schlub's education by way of shipping costs, return shipping costs, fees and commissions that I will never recover from him, no matter how thoroughly I explain and point out his mistaken assumptions and that the item is exactly what I portrayed it to be. That they were wrong is not important in their eyes. What is important is that eBay will allow them to return it regardless.

I don't mind educating ignorant collectors, but resent when I am forced to pay to do so.

Do not make others pay for your education. Asking questions is free. Shipping and eBay fees are not. You have stated your approach of gambling on purchases knowing that eBay will back you up if it's not real, but seem to forget that the "back-up" you mention is always at the expense of the seller. Ebay does not spread any safety net for you that they did not first extract from the seller's pocket. And for every one or two scam artists that rightly have to eat the cost of shipping their forgery to you and having it returned, I can almost guarantee that you're going to stick it to an honest seller whose only mistake was in dealing with an ignorant collector who did not educate himself about what he was actually buying before pulling the trigger. Please, for the sake of all upstanding dealers in the room, do your research BEFORE clicking on Buy It Now.

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 01-10-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:09 PM
Chuck Tapia

Oh goodie, questions and answers!

"Unfortunately, you have this "something for nothing" mentality and it really isn't becoming or a very smart way to live your life"...

according to who? GARP and other highly respected individuals

"it is your life and if you want to be a dopey buyer, go right ahead"...

Not personal at all Not particularly

"I'm sure you are a great guy and this isn't a personal attack, just my opinion."...

That is a pretty oxymoron sentence. I am an oxy moron

I won't defend myself to you. Just tell me your buyer ID and I won't bid on your junk trust me. Maybe you missed the part where I quit collecting and wouldn't use E-bay to wipe my a***. Too many douche bags

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 01-10-2017 at 02:11 PM.