NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 10-27-2018, 01:44 PM
David Linardy

Default Help with an ali

This one looks like other examples i have seen on these pamphlets, but i just dont know ali that well.

Any thoughts?

Opinions are much appreciated.

Many thanks!
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F5AAC70F-E51E-4854-AF43-C22C7B53B7B2.jpg (7.0 KB, 259 views)
Old 10-27-2018, 03:27 PM
Manny
Banned

99% of all Ali signatures for sale are fake. Not only is his signature easy to forge, but he had Parkinson's. I would avoid all Ali signatures. Every single one of them unless you have a letter that it came from Ali himself or his family. Find something else to do with your money. Fund a business. Help a charity.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:41 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Dave,
You might want to email the owner of this site. From my understanding, he is one of the most knowledgeable people on Ali sigs.

http://www.aliautos.net/

Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 10-27-2018, 07:44 PM
David Linardy

Default Ali

Thanks Mark,

I greatly appreciate it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
Dave,
You might want to email the owner of this site. From my understanding, he is one of the most knowledgeable people on Ali sigs.

http://www.aliautos.net/

Mark
Old 10-27-2018, 10:49 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
99% of all Ali signatures for sale are fake. Not only is his signature easy to forge, but he had Parkinson's. I would avoid all Ali signatures. Every single one of them unless you have a letter that it came from Ali himself or his family. Find something else to do with your money. Fund a business. Help a charity.
What if it comes with a photo of Ali signing the item?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ali1.jpg (46.6 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg ali2.jpg (60.5 KB, 211 views)
Old 10-27-2018, 11:31 PM
Bob Andrews

Probably won't help much given when it was signed but this one is authentic. He signed this for me in July of 1971.

march27_0031.jpg
Old 10-28-2018, 07:26 AM
Manny
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
What if it comes with a photo of Ali signing the item?
There was a huge scandal recently that was covered in a television investigation where a dealer was caught photoshopping the photos and inserting the item for sale into the photo. Someone found the real pictures and they were busted.

You also don't know how many photos Ali signed at that session. Maybe he signed only 100, but the dealer uses the photo for hundreds more.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:30 AM
David Linardy

Default Alisite

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves_resale_shop View Post
Thanks Mark,

I greatly appreciate it!
Mark this site was very helpful... good writeup on these pamphlets.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 10-28-2018, 12:33 PM
Mike Kaminski

Quote:
I don't understand such a blanket statement.

Ali signed tons, there's probably an argument for his signature being the most widely available of any high profile celebrity/athlete ever (I'm not including the Bob Fellers of the world here). Authentic examples of his signature are easy to obtain if you really want one.

Yes, Parkinson's distorted his autograph to where it became quite jagged instead of the free flowing autograph that he had previously. Nonetheless, other than really late examples (I believe he stopped signing in the late 2000s) these are still autographs that can be authenticated. Those late 2000s autographs are also ones that were signed in the presence of companies like PSA and Online Authentics and come with proper documentation - authentic. His pre-90s autographs? Even easier to authenticate!

Saying something like you should avoid all autographs of one of the most celebrated human beings of all time just seems naive.

I like the pamphlet in the OP (which is probably the item that Ali signed the most of and you can buy for <$100 easily) but would like to see a better photo.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:57 PM
Joe F.ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKam View Post
I don't understand such a blanket statement.

Ali signed tons, there's probably an argument for his signature being the most widely available of any high profile celebrity/athlete ever (I'm not including the Bob Fellers of the world here). Authentic examples of his signature are easy to obtain if you really want one.

Yes, Parkinson's distorted his autograph to where it became quite jagged instead of the free flowing autograph that he had previously. Nonetheless, other than really late examples (I believe he stopped signing in the late 2000s) these are still autographs that can be authenticated. Those late 2000s autographs are also ones that were signed in the presence of companies like PSA and Online Authentics and come with proper documentation - authentic. His pre-90s autographs? Even easier to authenticate!

Saying something like you should avoid all autographs of one of the most celebrated human beings of all time just seems naive.

I like the pamphlet in the OP (which is probably the item that Ali signed the most of and you can buy for <$100 easily) but would like to see a better photo.
I was actually going to reply to the same quote above as well. I would agree that there are many, many Ali fakes on the market - in fact, over 50% on eBay at any given time might be fake. However, Ali was a gracious signer and even as his health declined, he continued to sign in high quantity. Ali also did many, many private signings and was never really that hard to obtain.

Interestingly enough, Ali is one of the few cases where his autograph actually went down in value after he passed away. After he passed, more and more autographs were made available and the supply drowned out the demand. 8x10 photos that used to be easy $400 sales became tough to sell at $300. Items such as pamphlets and paper cuts can typically be had at $100-$150 now, far less than a few years ago. The reason for this all is the fact that he is far from a tough autograph - many exist and they are readily available.

As for authentication, I don't believe it is that tough. It would be pretty easy to develop an evolving timeline of this autograph and up until the last decade, they were pretty consistent. Anyways, he did have a nice signature back in the day - it got smaller but somehow kept it's flair in the 90's.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:05 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
This is one of the dumbest statements uttered in this forum.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:44 PM
Michael I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
I met Ali several times in the 90's, twice while he was traveling in his RV for baseball tournaments for son or grandson? But Ali was a very willing signer and as long as he wasnt feeling bad or napping he sat in the drivers seat of his RV and welcomed anyone and everyone aboard for him to sign their items and take pictures. I seen him even draw sketches for women on their purses of him and fraiser fighting. His signature was still very readable but when he signed it was like he was moving in super slow motion to make sure you got a perfect autograph. To say he couldnt sign his name would be a false statement. He made sure everyone had his autograph before he stopped. That was the 3 times or so I met him so I imagine he was like that with everyone.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:30 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves_resale_shop View Post
Mark this site was very helpful... good writeup on these pamphlets.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Glad it helped you out.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 10-30-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7imel View Post
I met Ali several times in the 90's, twice while he was traveling in his RV for baseball tournaments for son or grandson? But Ali was a very willing signer and as long as he wasnt feeling bad or napping he sat in the drivers seat of his RV and welcomed anyone and everyone aboard for him to sign their items and take pictures. I seen him even draw sketches for women on their purses of him and fraiser fighting. His signature was still very readable but when he signed it was like he was moving in super slow motion to make sure you got a perfect autograph. To say he couldnt sign his name would be a false statement. He made sure everyone had his autograph before he stopped. That was the 3 times or so I met him so I imagine he was like that with everyone.
Yes. Ali was at many youth tournaments with his son and signed readily. My wife and daughter got to meet him in his RV about 15 years ago and he signed several sports illustrated mags. Between innings he would sign or pose for pics. Very kind man to all. If he was not feeling well he would go to his RV and rest.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7imel View Post
Yes. Ali was at many youth tournaments with his son and signed readily. My wife and daughter got to meet him in his RV about 15 years ago and he signed several sports illustrated mags. Between innings he would sign or pose for pics. Very kind man to all. If he was not feeling well he would go to his RV and rest.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

totally agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-01-2018, 01:03 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Ali signed those pamphlets continually and in great quantity for many years. He believed that part of his religious duty was spreading the word on Islam through these pamphlets, which he signed so that people would keep them. They are probably the easiest, cheapest and least forged Ali signed items. The one shown in the OP looks like a nice post-career signature.

As for the general statement that 99% of the Ali signatures are fakes, that is just ignorant. In addition to the hundreds of thousands of pamphlets he signed and handed out and all of the good will signing he did (and as the people here have attested to, he was the most gracious and willing signer you could imagine for a sports superstar), he signed thousands of cards for various certified card issues over 20 years. There are thousands of 1992 Classic signed cards, for example.

To get some idea of scope, he signed 2,750 hand numbered versions of the card (a 2,500 and a 250 issue) plus thousands of additional cards that are unnumbered. People are still pulling them from packages of the cards.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-01-2018 at 01:09 PM.