NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 10-29-2018, 08:21 AM
Michael

Default REA results

What did you folks think of the prices Jason got selling his signed card collection. Some IMO like the rookie Newhouser were insanely high as were most of the others. I was outbid on almost everything despite putting bids in quite a bit higher than I thought items would go for. Do you think it was just 2 or 3 bidders with very deep pockets or is this a trend that is still going up?
Old 10-29-2018, 08:36 AM
Paul

Default Jason May Collection

I think the prices were in the reasonable to strong category, for the dozen or two cards I was watching and/or bidding on. I couldn’t believe how cheap the signed T206 Crawford Batting card went — about $2,000 or $3,000 less than it’s prior sales; on the flip side tho, the Baker sold for $20,000+BP, which is about $12,000 more than Jason paid for it at auction a couple of years ago. He lost a couple grand on the Speaker, but made it up on the Cobb, basically.

Given that Jason was out on his collection, it does seem like many or at least several others were there to pick up the slack. I was happy to pull down the two signed CJs — paying about what Jason paid for his Wood a couple of years ago on eBay, but paying over what I thought was going to be needed to secure the Roush.

To me the scary thing is the sheer volume of epic signed pre-war cards for sale all at once. Those of us with limited pockets had to pick and choose. Typically, only one or two of these just might end up at auction in a year. There will be more money at the lower end for these one-offs; but the deep pockets will show up for the high end stuff, seemingly without regard for a larger volume.

So, to me, the deep pockets showed up, but it also signals a continued rising on prices.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2CEBEB7B-1F45-4702-A3A7-226B67753CB9.jpg (20.6 KB, 298 views)

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 10-29-2018, 09:55 AM
Andrew L@Vine

I know Pat Neshek was looking at the auction/most likely was buying some signed cards. Competing monetarily with a pro ball player who made 8 mil last year can be a tall task, but is good for the seller
Old 10-29-2018, 10:20 AM

Default Rea

Thank you to everyone who bid. I was very happy with the results. I more than doubled what I had invested in the collection, so it's hard to complain about that. The Goudey commons sold for a lot less than I expected, but the big time cards more than made up for that. I paid $15,000 for my Ruth no. 181 2 years ago and it sold for $110K plus BP. The Hal Newhouser Leaf I paid $1,800 for and it sold for over $25K. There were several others where I made 3 to 10 times what I paid. The Ruth 181 more than doubled the previous record for highest signed baseball card.

A lot of people have asked, and I'm not done collecting by any means. I actually bought a very nice signed Babe Ruth baseball for a good price last night. I also kept my Jim Thorpe signed 33 Goudey Sport Kings and my Muhammad Ali signed 1960 Hemmet's Journal as well as a few other sentimental favorites. I plan to collect signed HOF rookie cards again, but I'm going to limit myself to truly elite players. I sold because I had an investment opportunity that was too good to pass up. I was able to cover that investment plus pay off all my debt with this auction, so I'm at peace with selling.

Jason
Old 10-29-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonxmay View Post
Thank you to everyone who bid. I was very happy with the results. I more than doubled what I had invested in the collection, so it's hard to complain about that. The Goudey commons sold for a lot less than I expected, but the big time cards more than made up for that. I paid $15,000 for my Ruth no. 181 2 years ago and it sold for $110K plus BP. The Hal Newhouser Leaf I paid $1,800 for and it sold for over $25K. There were several others where I made 3 to 10 times what I paid. The Ruth 181 more than doubled the previous record for highest signed baseball card.

A lot of people have asked, and I'm not done collecting by any means. I actually bought a very nice signed Babe Ruth baseball for a good price last night. I also kept my Jim Thorpe signed 33 Goudey Sport Kings and my Muhammad Ali signed 1960 Hemmet's Journal as well as a few other sentimental favorites. I plan to collect signed HOF rookie cards again, but I'm going to limit myself to truly elite players. I sold because I had an investment opportunity that was too good to pass up. I was able to cover that investment plus pay off all my debt with this auction, so I'm at peace with selling.

Jason

Congrats Jason, AWESOME result!
Old 10-29-2018, 10:58 AM

Default Signed 1933 Goudeys

Congrats to you Jason.

I was able to secure a few upgrades and a few new ones.

Scott.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:59 AM
J0n@th@n P@rker

Congrats Jason!!
Old 10-29-2018, 01:46 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonxmay
I also kept my Jim Thorpe signed 33 Goudey Sport Kings
That’s great! I was wondering why he didn’t make an appearance last night. I take some credit for delivering that to you from the consignor through REA a couple of years ago.

I’m glad you’re staying in the hobby — but I’m also glad you sold. Selfishly because I wanted those signed CJs, but also because a churn of cards into the hobby keeps it healthy! So thanks for that too!

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 10-29-2018, 02:01 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:

Jason

Congrats Jason. This is great to hear. I'm glad it was as successful as it could be.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 10-29-2018, 03:30 PM

To take this thread in a different direction what are everyone’s feelings on the Dihigo and Luque signed postcard. I have always been very skeptical of this item. It has always struk me as an odd format for an item that would have had to be signed prior to Luque’s death in 1957.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:52 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

I consigned the Dihigo, it was the only time I think I ever bought an item just to sell it. While I did make a decent profit, I was surprised how low it went compared to past Dihigo sales. Perhaps you knew something that other bidders did as well.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:40 PM

Jason,

Do you mind commenting on the Goudey commons? What are your thoughts on
prices with them? According to the PSA/DNA population report many signed commons only have a pop. of 1-2 cards. Some of those commons are extremely tough. A lot of those players died many years ago, which makes them almost if not impossible.

Quote:

Jason
Old 10-29-2018, 07:49 PM

Default Commons

Most of the Goudey commons sold for fairly modest prices. The problem with the commons is that no matter how tough they are there are only a handful of people trying for the set. It’s a small enough number of collectors that one person (ie - me) shifting from a buyer to a seller significantly impacted the market. Not many people will pay a Mel Ott price for a Bill Cissell no matter how tough Cissell is. Some cards are just too rare for their own good and I think signed Goudeys fall into that category. Obviously the Hall of Fame players have a much broader market. The commons will probably continue to be suppressed until fresh faces start trying for the set, but with so few signed examples to go around it’s a daunting task that not many will want to take on. I anticipated I’d take a loss on some of the commons, but I did well enough on the stars that it wasn’t a big blow. Trying for the set was fun, but it I had been in this solely for profit I would have just collected the HOF players.

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisguy View Post
Jason,

Do you mind commenting on the Goudey commons? What are your thoughts on
prices with them? According to the PSA/DNA population report many signed commons only have a pop. of 1-2 cards. Some of those commons are extremely tough. A lot of those players died many years ago, which makes them almost if not impossible.