NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-01-2017, 03:02 PM
Bry@n

Default Players Appearing Twice in a Panoramic Photo - Tell Me about the Camera

In some vintage panoramic photos you will see the same player(s) twice, once at each side of the team. Here three guys, including Oakes and Camnitz, managed to bookend the photo:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...team_photo.jpg

This clearly involved a mad dash around the photographer. I am curious about the camera technology that would make this mad dash work --- can anyone explain to me how these cameras worked?

Given the crisp images it seems like the shutter speed was pretty fast otherwise I would think some players would be a little blurry because of subtle movements. But, if it was a pretty fast exposure I don't know how the players would have time to make the run to the other end.

I am looking forward to your input, thanks!
Old 12-01-2017, 03:51 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

I was at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore for the final game in 1991. They set up a camera on the pitchers mound and had the Orioles (past and present) stand in a circle around the camera. The camera was on a device that would spin it around 360 degrees. I'm guessing it was the same thing back then. Maybe just done by hand with the shutter open.

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 12-02-2017, 12:15 PM
$cotty @.utin

Its a series of three or four pictures that the cameraman meticulously cuts together in post-production. If you look at the photo posted above, you can see the "natural" spaces between every 3-4 players. The photographer set them up in a way that would allow him to piece it together using the immobile background as a guide.

We took one of these at West Point in 2002. The photographer did exactly what I explained above and told us all to try and smile the same way each time. Imagine how well that went with nearly 1000 anxious cadets. We did have 3-4 cadets sprint behind the bleachers from one side to the other and ended up in the photo twice.

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football
Old 12-02-2017, 12:33 PM

Bryan,

Nice picture of the Pittsburgh Rebels!
Old 12-02-2017, 12:35 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

My dad told me that when he was a kid (1940s), if snuck around the other side you could get in the class photo twice.

As mentioned, in the real old panoramas, they would actually be side by side photos. In mid 1800s photos you can clearly see the three side by side panels.

Last edited by drcy; 12-02-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:12 PM
Steve Birmingham

There were also special panoramic cameras. Some used what must have been interesting lenses, some rotated on a stand, and others used a pivoting lens.
http://www.vintagephoto.tv/no1panoram.shtml

I'd imagine if the photographer was using the pivoting lens type it would be pretty easy to run around to the opposite side.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:59 PM
Bobw

Ty Cobb made the mad dash from one side to the other in the 1914 Tiger panoramic

Old 12-11-2017, 03:13 PM
Bry@n

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Great link Steve. Once again, Net54 nailed the answer to an obscure question.