NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-28-2024, 09:01 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Default Catcher Masks sizes

As much as I've searched on the internet for a general idea of catcher mask sizes (adult vs child), I'm coming up empty. Anyone know how to determine a child vs adult mask? Anyone know what dimensions should be for each? Im curious about late 1800s thru 1920s masks. Thanks!!

Last edited by ruth-gehrig; 01-28-2024 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-28-2024, 12:55 PM

Not sure if this will help:

https://keymancollectibles.com/catch...tingguide.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
As much as I've searched on the internet for a general idea of catcher mask sizes (adult vs child), I'm coming up empty. Anyone know how to determine a child vs adult mask? Anyone know what dimensions should be for each? Im curious about late 1800s thru 1920s masks. Thanks!!
Old 01-28-2024, 01:16 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Appreciate the link! It's one I've looked at before which is good info but still lacks any dimensions or how to determine adult vs child. The patent sheets lack dimensions and the catalogs just say "smaller" for kid masks

Last edited by ruth-gehrig; 01-28-2024 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-02-2024, 05:08 PM
Alan Elefson

Hi-

I do not have an exact answer but I have an A G Spalding Bros No A mask from the 1890s/1900s. I believe it is an adult amateur style (B is youth). It is 9 inches tall and a little less than 6 inches wide at the widest point. I have others that are 10 inches tall of similar vintage. My earliest one is 9 inches tall and of similar width. I think they look awesome and are a relatively cheap way to get a really cool display item from the turn of the century. I have attached pictures of my Spalding No A (marked on the leather strap) and my earliest one.

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (171.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (160.9 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (188.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (164.1 KB, 59 views)
Old 02-03-2024, 12:20 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I think the reason for the lack of responses here is the fact that there's no "hard and fast" rule for the size dictating whether it's an Adult or Youth Mask. The size alone does not always mean it's strictly for kids or adults.

I think a better indicator is the quality and construction of the mask. If the bent wire is heavy gauge, it's more likely an adult mask. The kids masks used thinner gauge metal. Same for the padding... cloth padding or a sparse amount of leather padding most likely indicates a child's mask. Whereas thicker/more abundant padding is usually indicative of an adult model.

Yes, the size matters, but there were many different styles and sizes throughout the years. Earlier masks (pre-1900) tended to be smaller in size than the giant masks of the 1930s - 40s. Some adult masks were more elongated, and had throat/neck protectors... which would very typically indicate an adult model. Some Masks were extra wide, to offer an extended field of vision. Some had ear protection that extended the width of the mask by 2" or more (as opposed to masks without the ear flaps).

So whether it's an adult or youth vintage mask, there can be a significant amount of variance in the size, based on the mask's style and the type of protection it offered. Thus, there is significant crossover between adult and youth models. If you did a Venn Diagram (with one circle representing adult masks and another circle representing youth masks), you'd see a shared area that represents at least 25% of the total space.

But if you still want to attach specific sizes to adult vs. Youth models, I will say that if the mask is over 9" tall by 7.5" wide, it's probably an Adult Mask. Just keep in mind that there are exceptions, and that earlier adult masks can be smaller than that measurement, while being perfectly legit. If you're still with me, I hope this helps!

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 02-05-2024, 06:40 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Thanks Alan and Mark for the replies!! I agree Alan, masks seem relatively reasonable and display well and seems like a piece of equipment that would take alot of hell over several seasons making early nice ones difficult to find.

Mark's information point by point sounds logical enough to me. I appreciate the education you just gave me on the subject! I couldn't find any of that anywhere on the web but that's where your experience comes into play.

I'm thinking I need to turn this thread into a "Show your catcher's masks" thread to see what's out there
Old 02-06-2024, 10:53 AM

Just a suggestion but, if you renamed this thread Hey catcher's mask guys who knows what might happen?