NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-24-2023, 08:26 PM
Jim Reynolds

Default Heritage Auctions - Boston Garters

I’ll just let the photo speak for itself….incredible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3837.jpg (180.2 KB, 1874 views)
Old 08-24-2023, 08:53 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Holy
Old 08-24-2023, 10:27 PM

Incredible cards. The Joe Jackson is estimated to have a value of 250K. What I find amazing and shocking is that the 68 Topps Mantle (PSA 10) is estimated to have a value of 300K. If I had a PSA 10 Mantle, I'd trade it in a heartbeat for the Jackson.
Old 08-24-2023, 11:27 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Holy crap. That is just, well, magnificent. Hard to believe there’s another complete set out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_5922.jpeg (191.6 KB, 1798 views)
Old 08-25-2023, 02:46 AM
Jamie

Interesting note, the cards will be auctioned off individually and as a set. Whichever produces more & is the way the cards will sell.
Old 08-25-2023, 04:21 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlesinj View Post
Interesting note, the cards will be auctioned off individually and as a set. Whichever produces more & is the way the cards will sell.
Interesting way to do it and obviously it is the best way for their seller.

All the cards are amazing of course the Joe Jackson and the Cobb are the show stoppers to me.

The condition of them all is amazing and the colors truly POP

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph

Last edited by mrreality68; 08-25-2023 at 04:21 AM.
Old 08-25-2023, 05:38 AM

Link to full auction for higher resolution pictures and description:
https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-c...50066-189013.s
Old 08-25-2023, 09:11 AM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunswickreeves View Post
Link to full auction for higher resolution pictures and description:
https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-c...50066-189013.s
Thank you for posting that link. I hadn’t had time to look for it when I first saw that photo.

I’m really glad to see those cards in SGC slabs. Putting them in any other holder would’ve been a tremendous disservice.

Last edited by Vintagedeputy; 08-25-2023 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-25-2023, 09:49 AM
Michael C

Call me crazy - but wouldn't these draw higher prices as individual lots rather than an entire set?
Old 08-25-2023, 09:49 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
Thank you for posting that link. I hadn’t had time to look for it when I first saw that photo.

I’m really glad to see those cards in SGC slabs. Putting them in any other holder would’ve been a tremendous disservice.
They know their audience.
Old 08-25-2023, 09:53 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc32 View Post
Call me crazy - but wouldn't these draw higher prices as individual lots rather than an entire set?
Maybe! My experience is that's traditionally been the case, although only a Sith deals in absolutes.

At the same time, there are some AHs that are starting to run tandem auctions, whereby you can bid on them as a complete set, or individually. Whichever fetches the highest price wins. So you could be the highest bidder on an item, but if the complete set draws a higher price, then you still lose.

Somewhat shockingly, from time to time the complete set will win.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 08-25-2023, 10:34 AM
Howard Chasser

Default So interesting

Just discussed with Toby at the East Coast national that these used to show up from time to time, but I hadn't seen any offered publicly in some time! Some of the most incredible cards of the era imo.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 08-25-2023, 10:56 AM
Peter Spaeth

Amazing set of course but oddly to me no Wagner, Mathewson, Lajoie, Collins.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-25-2023 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-25-2023, 11:08 AM
Ben Fisher

The only thing that would amaze me more is a complete set of 1912 Boston Garters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2023, 01:09 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Amazing set of course but oddly to me no Wagner, Mathewson, Lajoie, Collins.
Matty, Lajoie and Collins were included in the 1912 BG set and in the 1914 (I think there is some uncrtainty as to this date) sepia BG set, so it makes sense that these three stars weren't also in the 1914 color BG set. Interestingly, WaJo and Speaker are the only two players who appear in both the 1912 BG and 1914 color BG sets. My guess as to the reason for Wags' absence in all three BG sets is because the issuer declined to pay Wags for the use of his image.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 08-25-2023, 03:39 PM
Hank Thomas

Default Over/Under

What's your guess, fellas?
Old 08-25-2023, 03:44 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
The condition of them all is amazing and the colors truly POP
Once again, I am completely mystified by the grades on these. Beautiful front and back, particularly given their rarity, whatever justification one will come up with for the ridiculously low grades only renders the grading system employed a joke in my estimation. There has to be a better way, one that actually makes sense.
Old 08-25-2023, 04:02 PM
Peter Calderon

Default In case anuone was wondering...

They are real and they are spectacular!
-- Teri Hatcher
Old 08-25-2023, 04:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Once again, I am completely mystified by the grades on these. Beautiful front and back, particularly given their rarity, whatever justification one will come up with for the ridiculously low grades only renders the grading system employed a joke in my estimation. There has to be a better way, one that actually makes sense.
Then again, on cards like these, the grade is sort of beside the point.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-25-2023, 04:22 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
There's staining and paper loss all over the place on the backs. The fronts look amazing but the grades look perfectly appropriate to me given the backs.
Old 08-25-2023, 04:26 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
They pretty much all have some paper loss and/or back damage. I suspect that's why they are graded so low.

Naturally, this gets us back to the subject of many other posts around here around how to adjust for back damage, and people who love buying cards with back damage because they can get them on the cheap.

But I'm guessing these won't go for cheap. If we're taking shots in the dark, I'm guessing $500k+. But then again, it could go for a looooooot more.

1963 Post complete panel
Old 08-25-2023, 04:27 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Of course. Then again, what does that say about the system?
Old 08-25-2023, 04:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Assuming heritage submitted these, I have to believe they got the best possible grades that could be assigned to the cards. Their pics typically under state defects.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-25-2023 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-25-2023, 04:38 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by petecld View Post
They are real and they are spectacular!
-- Teri Hatcher
Weren't they though!
Old 08-25-2023, 04:39 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Winner, winner chicken dinner. You nailed it.
Old 08-25-2023, 04:45 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
There's staining and paper loss all over the place on the backs. The fronts look amazing but the grades look perfectly appropriate to me given the backs.
OK, so we have maybe 5% loss/residue and some staining on the worst backs, and eye-popping fronts--you know, the important side by a factor of what, 10 or 100 in relation to the backs? If that justifies 1.5s all around for these extreme rarities that are basically never seen in ANY condition, I rest my case. I will go to my grave believing that is a flawed grading system, one that everyone accepts now, but that really doesn't make much sense in the real world. They would all be at least 3s or 4s if I were king of the forest. That would leave a ton of room for any surfacing in much better shape, while not lumping them in with ones driven over by tanks in the mud on the downside. Not trying to pick any fights here, and I totally get where we are. Of course, I should just let it go, but someone many years ago pulled this absurd system out of their butts and decreed it to be so, and it will never seem logical to me.
Old 08-25-2023, 05:32 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
OK, so we have maybe 5% loss/residue and some staining on the worst backs, and eye-popping fronts--you know, the important side by a factor of what, 10 or 100 in relation to the backs? If that justifies 1.5s all around for these extreme rarities that are basically never seen in ANY condition, I rest my case. I will go to my grave believing that is a flawed grading system, one that everyone accepts now, but that really doesn't make much sense in the real world. They would all be at least 3s or 4s if I were king of the forest. That would leave a ton of room for any surfacing in much better shape, while not lumping them in with ones driven over by tanks in the mud on the downside. Not trying to pick any fights here, and I totally get where we are. Of course, I should just let it go, but someone many years ago pulled this absurd system out of their butts and decreed it to be so, and it will never seem logical to me.
On some level, I agree with you. The fronts on these cards pretty much all look spectacular and they SEEM like they should get 3s and 4s.
Old 08-25-2023, 05:53 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Respectfully, I've got to disagree with you Hank. The whole idea of grading (in my mind) is that a grade is assigned to a whole card that survived in a certain type of condition.

A '57 Bel Air with an immaculate body and a destroyed interior is not in showroom condition, just because she looks pretty on the outside. Following your logic, a skinned card should grade high because the front looks great while the rear side is completely missing.

The inside of a fence is just as important to the security of a property as the outside. Its all a complete package in my mind. If the backs on these cards have paper loss, then they are graded properly as-is. What if the front had paper loss and the backs were immaculate?
Old 08-25-2023, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
They pretty much all have some paper loss and/or back damage. I suspect that's why they are graded so low.

Naturally, this gets us back to the subject of many other posts around here around how to adjust for back damage, and people who love buying cards with back damage because they can get them on the cheap.

But I'm guessing these won't go for cheap. If we're taking shots in the dark, I'm guessing $500k+. But then again, it could go for a looooooot more.
I'm betting the over.
Old 08-25-2023, 08:19 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
Respectfully, I've got to disagree with you Hank. The whole idea of grading (in my mind) is that a grade is assigned to a whole card that survived in a certain type of condition. Following your logic, a skinned card should grade high because the front looks great while the rear side is completely missing. What if the front had paper loss and the backs were immaculate?
To my thinking, your examples reinforce my point, Jim. If the Heritage cards are 1.5s, where's the room below them for skinned backs or extreme paper loss to the fronts? No matter how horrible condition a card is in, you have only a half grade to move down from those in the auction, which everybody agrees are super-duper wowza. I just don't see the logic in that. But you guys have beaten me down, I'm going to accept what is and leave it at that.
Old 08-25-2023, 09:03 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Screw the flips; I want the WaJo!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-25-2023, 10:03 PM
David M.

I had never seen the backs of these cards before. Here's one of the cards in the auction and you can see the back damage that resulted in the low technical grade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boston Garter Jackson.jpg (79.8 KB, 1451 views)
File Type: jpg Boston Garter Jackson Back.jpg (85.5 KB, 1454 views)
Old 08-25-2023, 10:15 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
I had never seen the backs of these cards before. Here's one of the cards in the auction and you can see the back damage that resulted in the low technical grade.
Not much damage at all, presents very well.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 08-25-2023, 10:24 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Not much damage at all, presents very well.
I agree. They are beautiful cards.
Old 08-25-2023, 11:02 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
To my thinking, your examples reinforce my point, Jim. If the Heritage cards are 1.5s, where's the room below them for skinned backs or extreme paper loss to the fronts? No matter how horrible condition a card is in, you have only a half grade to move down from those in the auction, which everybody agrees are super-duper wowza. I just don't see the logic in that. But you guys have beaten me down, I'm going to accept what is and leave it at that.
I would imagine that with increased paper loss, we’d be looking at 1’s or A’s.
Old 08-26-2023, 06:30 AM

Default Boston Garter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc32 View Post
150%. I would not sell these cards as both a set and individual cards. It could potentially limit the degree of bidding intensity for the major cards like Jackson, Cobb, Johnson & Speaker. As a collector (and bidder), it is extremely frustrating bidding strong on a particular item, knowing full well I might be wasting my time since the card may ultimately sell as a piece of the entire set. That said, I do believe the individual lot aggregate will best the full set price - happens 90%+ of the time when an auction house pits individual lots vs. the complete set.
Old 08-26-2023, 06:39 AM

Default Boston Garter

In the grand scheme, grades do not matter versus the extreme rarity of these Garters. The beautiful aesthetics and right to own a copy for such iconic cards supersedes any technical assessment. As the saying goes - try and find another one!
Old 08-26-2023, 06:58 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
It's sgc so nothing....they "know" their (limited) audience

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 08-26-2023, 09:26 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Surely it is for exactly those cards that look to be in great condition in a photo but aren't in reality that third-party grading is most useful, no?
Old 08-26-2023, 10:24 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Surely it is for exactly those cards that look to be in great condition in a photo but aren't in reality that third-party grading is most useful, no?
I have no problem with TPGs, Glenn, I just think the system is too loose at the bottom and too tight at the top. But that's just me, so I'm bowing out here.

Last edited by Hankphenom; 08-26-2023 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-26-2023, 11:50 AM

You’ve got to be kidding me 😮 😍😍😍😍
Old 08-26-2023, 12:22 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
I have no problem with TPGs, Glenn, I just think the system is too loose at the bottom and too tight at the top. But that's just me, so I'm bowing out here.
It seems most everyone has strong feelings about the graders, and I don’t think anyone faults you for feeling like there’s some real room for improvement.

At the same time, pleasing even most of us is probably an impossible task.

But maybe here’s one way to go:

1) Sub grades for each of the four corners.
2) The surface is now divided into four quadrants, with subgrades for each, plus let’s double down with those grades for each zone on each side, front and back.
3) Edges are now broken down into 8 zones, 2 per side, with subgrades for each zone.
4) Centering for both front and back is disclosed, down to 0.01% precision. And for top/bottom and left/right. Tilting is also measured, again to 0.01% precision.
5) Print defects, snow, fisheyes, etc. are all identified, counted and disclosed, with a listing for each instance identified.
6) Any and all alterations, trims, recoloration, etc. is identified and disclosed with perfect fidelity on an enumerated list, including detail regarding the location of said adjustments.

Bonus: the grading scale will now institute gradations down to 0.01 points for each element. And each of the subgrades will be weighted, with the final grade being a product of each of the weighted valued for the subgrades.

Graders will also be required to write a narrative of one page single space typed to justify each of the subgrades, including factors considered and weighed when making their evaluation. Plus a mandatory essay to extol the virtues of the card, including the degree to which it makes their hearts soar upon beholding it. If not on the flip, then at least available by scanning a QR code on the flip.

Turnaround times will be 2 days or less, including shipping times.

Fees will be $10 or less for each card. Large discounts for bulk orders and vintage cards. The older the card, the bigger the discount.

Shipping is free.

Forgot to mention: Slabs will be indestructible. So no more cracking and resubmitting. Or cracking at all. Once inside a slab with all of these details, it stays there forever.

1963 Post complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 08-26-2023 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-28-2023, 07:08 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
It seems most everyone has strong feelings about the graders, and I don’t think anyone faults you for feeling like there’s some real room for improvement.

2) The surface is now divided into four quadrants, with subgrades for each, plus let’s double down with those grades for each zone on each side, front and back.
3) Edges are now broken down into 8 zones, 2 per side, with subgrades for each zone.
4) Centering for both front and back is disclosed, down to 0.01% precision. And for top/bottom and left/right. Tilting is also measured, again to 0.01% precision.
5) Print defects, snow, fisheyes, etc. are all identified, counted and disclosed, with a listing for each instance identified.
6) Any and all alterations, trims, recoloration, etc. is identified and disclosed with perfect fidelity on an enumerated list, including detail regarding the location of said adjustments.

Bonus: the grading scale will now institute gradations down to 0.01 points for each element. And each of the subgrades will be weighted, with the final grade being a product of each of the weighted valued for the subgrades.

Graders will also be required to write a narrative of one page single space typed to justify each of the subgrades, including factors considered and weighed when making their evaluation. Plus a mandatory essay to extol the virtues of the card, including the degree to which it makes their hearts soar upon beholding it. If not on the flip, then at least available by scanning a QR code on the flip.

Fees will be $10 or less for each card. Large discounts for bulk orders and vintage cards. The older the card, the bigger the discount.

Shipping is free.

Forgot to mention: Slabs will be indestructible. So no more cracking and resubmitting. Or cracking at all. Once inside a slab with all of these details, it stays there forever.
Not so sure about this business model...

"Fees will be $10 or less for each card. Large discounts for bulk orders and vintage cards. The older the card, the bigger the discount."

...Those Boston Garters are fantastic. Will be fun to watch.
Old 08-28-2023, 09:58 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Not so sure about this business model...

"Fees will be $10 or less for each card. Large discounts for bulk orders and vintage cards. The older the card, the bigger the discount."

...Those Boston Garters are fantastic. Will be fun to watch.
Unfortunately for us type collectors even the lowly commons are, in the words of the great Bob Eucker, "just a bit outside..."

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 08-28-2023, 09:59 PM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Tip Top Wagner
https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-c...Auction-120115
Old 08-29-2023, 12:59 AM

I know I am holding out for my Boston Garter type card to be from the set where the players are shown in their underwear.

Brian
Old 08-29-2023, 05:02 AM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
I know I am holding out for my Boston Garter type card to be from the set where the players are shown in their underwear.

Brian
à la Jim Palmer?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3887.jpg (190.7 KB, 1085 views)
Old 08-29-2023, 05:19 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:

Shipping is free.

LOL, well done. You should create an auction house business model next!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-30-2023, 09:25 AM
Aaron Seefeldt

Looks like the individuals finished ahead of the group $650,653.20 to $630,000. Congrats to all who were able to add one (or more) to their collection. It’s been 25 years since I owned one of these (I traded away a Walter for a ‘14 CJ Jackson, thanks John Spencer!). I am thrilled to add this one to my collection!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 726132E0-B715-4780-A1ED-4833D0D72388.jpeg (74.4 KB, 953 views)
Old 09-30-2023, 10:00 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Seefeldt View Post
Looks like the individuals finished ahead of the group $650,653.20 to $630,000. Congrats to all who were able to add one (or more) to their collection. It’s been 25 years since I owned one of these (I traded away a Walter for a ‘14 CJ Jackson, thanks John Spencer!). I am thrilled to add this one to my collection!

Great card. Congratulations Aaron!