NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-12-2007, 05:46 AM
Administrator

Default Does anyone collect the DeLong cards?

Posted By: Ralph

My Wife & I are thinking of going antiquing this morning & last year at this one shop this guy had a bunch of Delong cards,grades were in vg condition.I am hoping he still has them, I would love to walk into a antique shop & find a stash for little of nothing.My best find to date from an antique store was a Allen & Ginter album of the Indians,I paid $25.00 for it & sold it for $2,500.00 that was back in the early 80's,my friend who was with me was like you just made over 1000% on that deal I grinned & said yes I know :)Not sure what the Delongs are worth per card I guess I'll just have to use my head.I'll post later today once we get back,wish us luck & if I get lucky like Sky did and find 1,000 "T" cards you guys will get scans galore as I would be like a little boy on Christmas day going through them but I won't hold my breath there.Also want to say Congrats to Skydash for his fabulous find & that I wish him all the best in what avenue he chooses to do with the cards.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John Harrell

$20,000 in NM and $4000 in VG for the set. I have the set in collector's grade and paid from $25 to about $80 (still missing the Gehrig). My set averages about GD, with some better and some worse. Hope this helps.

John

Old 08-12-2007, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: bruce Dorskind

Delongs are a wonderful set, and one that is relatively easy to complete.

We have studied the set for more than 30 years.

As you may know Howard Delong was the treasurer of Goudey before
he left to form Delong.

Delong wrappers) are extremely rare. One can also find
Delong Stock certificates (REA auctioned an example in 2004)
and some correspondence between Howard Delong and various venders.

We would suggest that if you are so fortunate as to obtain the cards
in question, that you have them graded.

In investment grade condition (PSA 8 or PSA 9) Delongs bring $2500+
with the Gehrig a $20,000 card.

You may want to look at both the PSA and SGC population reports to
gain an affinity for the relative rarity of Delongs.

Good luck

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List

Old 08-12-2007, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

I love this set. I am not a "set" guy, I own a grade 7 Foxx. But if I were to chase after sets, this would be one of them. I feel this set is very under appreciated.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

I currently have 2 of these...I plan to only keep the gehrig. I agree these are underappreciated although lots of people don't seem to like the giant players in the small ballparks...kinda cartoon-like like the 38 goudeys!

pete ullman in mn

Old 08-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Pete, what other card do yo have? I still a few to complete my set. Fortunately, Gehrig is not one that I need.

Jay

The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Administrator

dykes Jay.

pete ullman

Old 08-12-2007, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I have the set, put it together about 5 months ago card by card. It is a great looking set and if you are patient and resist the hesitation to buy cards too quickly, you can find decent prices on ebay. Gehrig is of course the key and even a Gehrig in lower grade with nice eye appeal is going to cost you as that card has started to take off. Freddie Lindstrom is far and away the toughest card in the set and along with Foxx and Gehrig is one of the keys.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:24 AM
Administrator

I need him, so keep me in mind when you plan to move it.

Jay

The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:33 AM
Administrator

i'd be glad to work a trade Jay. I'm at work until 3:30 or so...but you can email me at peterullman@hotmail.com. I'll shoot you a scan later this evening. I collect yankees, hof'ers, and various types.

pete ullman

Old 08-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Administrator

To be with the wife.As for Cards the guy sold all of them.I remember the conditions were like vg & he had $27.00 on the cards last year.I asked him about the cards & he said oh yes those sold quickly as one guy bought them all up.Only thing I picked up was a old Beckett Baseball collectibles I think it's the first edition.I saw some tobacco cards but they were the British ones of generals & the price was $18.00 for the set,I passed on those not knowing much about them.I saw some older Basketball cards both of celtic players & were from the Fleer company.So I guess next trip I head to Maine & hit the flea markets as I hear great finds up there so hopefully next week will have a better report from tiquing.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:11 PM
Administrator

If they are the 1963 Fleer cards, they are probably worth going back for.

Jay

Old 08-12-2007, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

I collect them. Still looking for a few to finish the set, including the big cards Gehrig and Foxx. Here's a few of them I have.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Jay yes they were & the price was $35 a card.Both Celtic players,names I would know if I heard them.I guess next week to maine you guys should educate me as to the somewhat newer cards. I know you all collect the "T" & "N" cards like I did back in the 80's & I was very fortunate to complete the T-210 set I started it in 1984 & finished it in 1988 & all without a computer.I at one time owned a lot of T-210 Jackson cards.While on the way home I stopped into Borders just for something to do & I checked out the Krause Baseball Price Guide & I saw it listed 221 total T-209 Type II cards while I show 227.If anyone needs a up to date list of this set I would be happy to post,dang that's a lot of typing but hey that's what this board is all about helping each other.

Edited because of error.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Administrator

One of the celtic cards was this name Tom Heinsohn . I am not a basketball fan so I don't know the value of the card but it was a fleer card as indicated by Jay.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

"I at one time owned a lot of T-210 Jackson cards."

Are you talking about owning a lot of T210 Joe Jackson cards??????

Old 08-13-2007, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Five Jackson cards.The highest I paid was $125.00then 100,then 75.00 for the other three.No I don't own them any longer I sold those & my T-210 set back in 1991.I am proud to say I was only the secong known person to of completed the set of 640 subjects,Mr. William Haber was first & I miss corresponding with him.Bill was a great man & a historian of the game.That's all for know,Over & out