NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Zach

Default Questions about things that have been bugging me

There are a few things I have seen written or talked in publications, auction descriptions etc... regarding 19th century cards that are kinda pissing me off and also confusing me. One is about N28 and the other is about Peck & Snyder.

In regards to N28, why do I keep seeing people and places date it as on 1888 issue? Weren't those published in 1887, making them a 1887 issue? I thought N29 was the 1888 issue not N28.

Usually I see the Peck and Snyder issue when I read news articles or magazines about it. I see man saying that Peck and Snyder was the first baseball card made in 1869 of the Red stockings. My problem with this is that I thought there was an 1868 Atlantic Nine card made by Peck and Snyder, wouldn't that make that one the first baseball card. Yet I see all these publications claiming the Red Stockings was first, but if there was a 1868 Atlantic Nine card then that should be the first.

I am very anal about dates that's why these questions have been haunting me. Am I missing something here about N28 or Peck and Snyder facts?

Last edited by zljones; 01-09-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default others know more

On the Peck and Snyder issue there is no doubt there were earlier Peck and Snyder cards than the 1869 one that is always touted. That 1869 one had players that were ALL paid for playing, thereby making it arguably the first Professional baseball card (where "Professional" means being paid). There were earlier cards, even besides Peck and Snyder, but the player or payers weren't paid for playing at the time, as far as I am aware.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Zach

That was one of the reasons I was thinking as to why the 1869 card was considered first because of the professional status. And the 1868 card was made months prior to pro ball. That makes sense, I just wish the articles would say first PRO CARD instead of just a card.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zljones View Post
That was one of the reasons I was thinking as to why the 1869 card was considered first because of the professional status. And the 1868 card was made months prior to pro ball. That makes sense, I just wish the articles would say first PRO CARD instead of just a card.
Of the 1869 Peck and Snyder I always say "first professional baseball card".....but most aren't that technical. How many times have you seen the '52 Mantle called his rookie? (answer, too many to count and they are all wrong)

Last edited by Leon; 01-09-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Of the 1869 Peck and Snyder I always say "first professional baseball card".....but most aren't that technical. How many times have you seen the '52 Mantle called his rookie? (answer, too many too count and they are all wrong)
Haha yea that 52 Mantle being called a rookie card drives me nuts because I am so anal about dates and "firsts" of everything. I am just glad I am not missing something with the Peck And Snyder cards, I was worried my facts were off.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Fred

Not that I care about rookie cards....but that Mantle thing bugs me too....

1952 Topps Mantle is his "Topps" rookie card.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Barry Sloate

I agree Leon, we don't have any proof one way or the other. I couldn't tell you if each team was issued by P & S in various years from 1868 to 1870, or if all appeared at the same time. There is virtually no documentation regarding how these were issued.

We had a thread a while ago about the Jim Creighton, which we originally assumed was issued between 1865 and 1867. Then we discovered that the address on the back dates it closer to 1870. My feeling is we don't know enough about how these were distributed.

Last edited by barrysloate; 01-09-2012 at 03:17 PM.