NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Default Mecca Boxing cards

Posted By: Ray

I've seen that some people have scans up sometimes of pre-war boxing cards. I recently won an ebay auction lot. I really just wanted the graded cards that were in the lot, but it also happened to come with a few raw Mecca boxing cards. Does anyone know where I can get price guide information for these?
Thanks, Ray

Old 05-02-2006, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Griffin's

Were they T218's? If so they appear pretty regularly on ebay, a search of completed auctions should give you a good idea. They have been selling for significantly more in the last year in NrMint and up. If any were Tolstoi back there is a premium whatever the condition.
I'd also highly recommend Adam Warshaw's book. Check the links forum for his site for ordering.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

www.imageevent.com/exhibitman

Old 05-03-2006, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Gross

1 -- Buy Alan's book
2 -- Do a search under boxing cards on ebay for either t218 (smaler card, name inside border), or t220 (bit larger, name at bottom outside border). Watch a few, you'll get a good idea of condition/value.
3 -- My two cents (having completed and sold both sets): p/f - <$5; g/vg - $5-20; ex - $20+; higher grade ones are less often seen, and prices get unique. You'll rarely see one go for over $50. T218 keys: Johnson (2 poses), Jeffries (2 poses), and Eyton (referee). No Jack or Jeff in t220, and no real keys, in my opinion.

Fun, attractive, and affordable sets to collect, that can be completely done via ebay.

Old 05-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

High grade cards sell very well. Do not expect to find PSA/SGC 7 and up cards often and expect to pay into three figures for them.

The sets are actually much more complex than people usually give them credit for, especially if you are interested in master sets or variations. T220 has silver bordered cards that are very tough to find and Tolstoi backs. T218s have Mecca, Hassan and Tolstoi brands and variations in factory and series number.

T220 has several keys, including Sullivan, Corbett and Dempsey. T218 keys also include Stanley Ketchel, Joe Gans and Abe Attell in addition to those listed above.

For the rest of the details, you have to read my book.

Old 05-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John J. Grillo

I agree...if your're interested in collecting vintage boxing, Adam's book is a must. I've always enjoyed collecting boxing and I thought I knew a lot about various issues...reading Adam's book definitely increased my knowledge. The checklists in his book were a great help as well.

Old 05-03-2006, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

I love cards of Jewish boxers. As a matter of fact, the book, "When Boxing was a Jewish Sport" got me interested in collecting Jewish sports memorabilia.

Old 05-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ray

Here's the information I have on them (sorry scanner is OOC right now)

These cards two cards appear to be from the same set.
They have a picture with a white border.

1. Jim Mace (underneath is name is written World's Champion). It has him sitting on a green chair, red background, smoking a cigar and wearing a black top hat.

2. Fight Between Randall and Belasco (Jack Randall - The Irish Lad and Aby Belasco - Jew Champion). It has the two of them with dukes up in an outdoor scene with the stands pretty far away.

The backs are in all black ink and gives a description of the figher(s). Underneath that is the Mecca Cigarettes logo and "Champion Athlete and Prize Fighter Series". The border on the back is very reminiscent of the T201 Mecca Double Folders but the card overall is a little bigger than T201s.

Any more info would be appreciated. Thanks, Ray

edited to add -- Looks like the T220s to me. Can anyone give me a value? Thanks again, Ray