NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-28-2006, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Default So who's going to pony up for Pete Hill?

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Old 04-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Daniel, money laundering? Huh? Would the bank that the funds be transferred to be on the grassy knoll by any chance?

Old 04-28-2006, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Ryan,

Thank you for the explanation. It wasn't exactly what I was hoping for but it was more than I expected. That in no way was meant as a knock. Is there anyway to see a scan of the Pete card? Quick question a bit off the topic but something I'd be interested in: are there any 19th Century Cuban cards?

Old 04-28-2006, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

Ryan

Thanks for the info on Prats. I found that he won a batting title in Cuba once, but could not find any career info on him.

I still have the photo from the McIntyre estate. The person selling it did not mention anything about Prats being on it and he is clearly identified on the back as well. Interesting to note that out of all 60-70 photos I won from the McIntyre estate, about 2/3 had writing on the back that were in Matty's handwriting and this photo is the only one I bought that the writing on the back was obviously from someone else, probably the person who took the photo in 1904-05. Prats is on the bottom row, far left.

Old 04-28-2006, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Daniel Bretta

Rhys, that looks like the writing on a lot of my McIntyre photos...I always assumed that it was in McIntyre's hand....Maybe his wife's?

Old 04-28-2006, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rick

There are some old cabinets from the 19th century...as well as some generic trade cards, thats about it.

Old 04-28-2006, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: prewarsports

Dan

This is a distinct other handwriting than on the back of the others I bought. I doubt very much this was in his wife's hand either. All the photos I had McIntyre identified himself as "Matty", and this is the only one that does not use that identification. Also, McIntyre is spelled "McIntire" on this photo which is incorrect and so I would assume his wife would know how to spell her own last name. I think it is more likely that the snapshots he or his wife took had their notations on the back, but some of the photos in the book were taken by photographers (including some by famous photgraphers) and notated and then given to McIntyre afterwards.

Rhys

Old 04-28-2006, 10:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Daniel Bretta

Rhys, the photos that I have with writing resembling the same handwriting as your Tampa photo are all taken in Cuba....Of the team in front of the Student Monument, an "old boat", et cetera. Perhaps they were taken by a Tampa teammate of McIntyre's and given to him.

Either way I still think that photo collection is one of the more interesting and important finds in the baseball memorabilia hobby in recent years. Your Tampa photo is a neat find...a lot can be learned from this collection.

Old 04-29-2006, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

I know, I'm quite certain I grew up watching to much cop and lawyer tv serials..........

I was just thinking, that when you 'buy' something from yourself, and move funds through a number of accounts to do so, it gives the impression of either legitimizing the items ownership because you stole it or came upon it otherwise than buying it, or by moving large amounts of cash through a series of activities and transactions that end with you still having the cash - perhaps you are trying to move 'marked' or ill gotten bills through the banks so as to end up with 'unmarked' or 'safe' money that is not part of a trail...........

Again, I know its convoluted and conspiratorial, but somehow thats how the process played out in my head as I was reading the thread! And it was fun daydreaming it out to you guys as well!!!

Daniel

Old 04-29-2006, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Doing that could in fact come back and bite you if such transactions were over 10k each time. The banks send the fed a form I think for all transactions of 10k or more.

The problem with buying something from yourself (especially if it is a rare item) is that the people that are willing to buy it will see the trail and put 2 and 2 together. It seems to me to be unethical to do such things. If a person wants to see how much an item would go for then a high reserve would tell them that. They could set a reserve for 300.000 for a card that normally sells for 200.000 (or has not been offered in years) in this manner I see no problem. But to buy it back from yourself to set a base price so others THINK it is worth a certain amount is wrong IMO.

Steve

Old 04-29-2006, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

I have an GREAT appreciation for Ryan's auction, even though I don't collect the material.

http://www.clevelandjewishnews.com/articles/2006/04/28/news/local/acover0428.txt

http://www.baseballheritagemuseum.org/

Old 05-02-2006, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Why do you not collect the material, Alan? Certainly some of the Negro Leaguers were Jewish. No? And Negro League ball was not always inferior to that in the Majors, right? Have you checked this out