NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-15-2018, 02:05 PM
Marc

Default Pennant date

I think that the Yankees batter in the green pennant and the Giants batter in this pennant are the same. I picked this up from a board member (EC), who (if I recall correctly) picked it up with a 1945 Giants program. Not 100% sure if the program and pennant went together or not, but maybe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Giants batter 1945 pennant.jpg (20.3 KB, 378 views)
Old 01-15-2018, 02:51 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Prior to reading Marc’s post, I was going to say 1947.

The Yankees were not AL champs in 1945 or 46. So I’ll stick with 1947 as my best estimate (ok, best guess )
Old 01-15-2018, 02:51 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Very similar, but the Yanks were off the WS train from 44-46. I don't think it's a 47, but it could be. I was thinking early 40's, but don't have anything conclusive. Hopefully some more info will pop up. Thanks
Old 01-15-2018, 02:52 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Just saw your post after I responded, not an arguement. Let me know what other think.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:53 PM
Jim Murphy

Picked up these recently
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C786385C-7623-453C-B0E0-6430EA75A823.jpg (19.9 KB, 373 views)
File Type: jpg D1FAED46-CF3F-4B7C-8F9F-762EFB5BB02A.jpg (19.9 KB, 379 views)
File Type: jpg 5B85A19A-DDB8-4EDB-8BC4-BD5421740D4B.jpg (19.9 KB, 376 views)
Old 01-16-2018, 07:53 AM
Mike

Beautiful pennants Jim.

I love the older pennants. nothing beats the way these pennants were made. I just love the art on them and wish the pennants that are made today looked like these.

Mike
Old 01-16-2018, 11:49 AM
Paul S

I have a nice BF Mini Pennant that I'd like to secure and preserve. Do the grading companies do authentication/holdering of mini pennants?
Old 01-16-2018, 05:33 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesjetsfan View Post
Beautiful pennants Jim.

I love the older pennants. nothing beats the way these pennants were made. I just love the art on them and wish the pennants that are made today looked like these.

Mike
Mike, I agree 100%. I don't collect anything else, got into pennants purely because of the aesthetics. It all started for me with a desire to decorate a game room. Nothing compares to old pennants and yearbook covers ...
Old 01-17-2018, 05:27 AM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Beautiful pennants Jim.

Mike
Some of my favorite NYY pennants. The more common blue pennants (including the 1960 scroll pennant) are among my very favorites, really cool graphics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2985.jpg (79.5 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2986.jpg (75.0 KB, 316 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2987.jpg (78.0 KB, 311 views)
Old 01-17-2018, 08:05 AM
Mike

Hi Greg,

Those are some beautiful pennants. I love the blue pennant with the old Stadium featured prominently on it. I also really like the one with Uncle Sam.

I never understood why the Yankees didn't keep Uncle Sam as a mascot. They had Dandy in the late 70's, early 80's which was terrible. Uncle Sam would have been pretty cool. As a bobblehead collector, Yankee Uncle Sams would have made for a nice looking bobble.

Mike
Old 01-18-2018, 09:49 AM
Mike Dugan

I have a novice question. I just came across a new minor league pennant of the stiff heavy felt. It is blue with a thin white border that has some dirt on it. Will this material soak in perhaps some Woolite or will it just come apart?
Old 01-18-2018, 12:16 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Hi Greg,

Those are some beautiful pennants. I love the blue pennant with the old Stadium featured prominently on it. I also really like the one with Uncle Sam.

I never understood why the Yankees didn't keep Uncle Sam as a mascot. They had Dandy in the late 70's, early 80's which was terrible. Uncle Sam would have been pretty cool. As a bobblehead collector, Yankee Uncle Sams would have made for a nice looking bobble.

Mike
Totally agree....

Uncle Sam would've made an outstanding Yankees Bobblehead. I wish they didn't go with the generic version. It would've been awesome to also have a Stanford Pottery version.

Gibbs-Conner actually did it right. If you are somewhat new to vintage Yankees memorabilia and Figural Pieces, that would be a cool place to start. Not exceedingly rare, and not too expensive (as long as it's not a dated version - see below).

Another cool Yankees Figural Piece from the Golden Era is the Gehrig/Dickey Bank. These Banks are relatively easy to find, and won't set you back too far.

Hope this is helpful, and best of luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yanks GC 1.jpg (75.4 KB, 429 views)
File Type: jpg Yanks CG 2.jpg (76.2 KB, 421 views)
File Type: jpg Yanks Bank 5.jpg (31.0 KB, 424 views)
Old 01-18-2018, 04:13 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
Mike, I agree 100%. I don't collect anything else, got into pennants purely because of the aesthetics. It all started for me with a desire to decorate a game room. Nothing compares to old pennants and yearbook covers ...
I'm with Mike and Greg...Nothing captures a piece of history for me more than pennants. The graphics, logos, feel, smell...all just do it for me. But, I've also collected some programs, yearbooks and media guides strictly for the cover art and have never even opened them.

A friend of mine in CT has an amazing football museum in his house. A large room with tall walls and high ceilings covered with pennants and programs. The room is amazing and looks beautiful. A work of art actually with its precision and detail. He designs "collection" rooms (not sure what the correct term is. He hates "man cave", though his does have a large TV in it. He prefers museum.) like his for a living. Pretty cool job.

I actually met him and discovered his room when I hand delivered some pennants he bought from me on eBay. Just by coincidence I was flying home a couple days later and we agreed to meet up. I was so impressed, I sold him some additional pennants and nodders I wasn't even interested in selling previously, just because I thought they'd look great and belonged in his "room". Last I spoke to him, he was going to be featured on ESPN and/or Sports Illustrated. Not sure whatever became of that. I'll have to check in with him.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:31 AM
Mike

Mark, those are some beautiful pieces & have been looking to add these to my Yankees collection, but I have never seen any of these pop up on eBay, ever. Maybe I am just not looking correctly or I may have to think about looking at auctions, which I have never participated in before. I have wanted to, especially when I see vintage Yankees or Jets vintage nodders. Money is always tight, so I have to find ways to find great pieces at great prices. I would also love to learn more about vintage Yankees memorabilia and figural pieces. Where would be a good place to start? Is there a book I can pick up?

Rob, your friends museum sounds fantastic. Please keep us up to date on if his space will be featured on ESPN or SI as I'd love to see it.

Mike

Last edited by yankeesjetsfan; 01-19-2018 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:39 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
I'm with Mike and Greg...Nothing captures a piece of history for me more than pennants.
I'm with you guys, as well.....although I also really love pinback buttons. I think I have about 800 Giants pins and they tell cool stories as well.

Plus, they don't take up a ton of space!

Here's a portion:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3265.jpg (80.5 KB, 374 views)
Old 01-19-2018, 11:17 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Rob:
Very impressed that you squeezed an actual TV into that space!

Mike:
If you are willing to venture outside of eBay, try Inside the Park Collectibles. Lou and John run a great operation. They have frequent auctions, and never a Buyers Premium. They are one of the very best when it comes to Pennants, Hartlands and a wide range of Figural pieces. I know they've had all of the Yankees Gibbs Conners, the Dickey/Gehrig Bank, and countless Yankees Pennants over the years. The prices stay pretty reasonable, and they are 100% trustworthy.

Here's a link to their site...

https://www.insidetheparkcollectibles.com/catalog.aspx
Old 01-19-2018, 01:55 PM
Mike

Thanks Mark, I will definitely check them out.

Rob, that a man cave or a part of your home? If I ever get a man cave, it will be part man cave, part living room. Love seeing pics of your awesome collection sir.

Mike
Old 01-22-2018, 09:42 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

i ran across this photo I saved previously and thought some people may want some fairly definitive evidence on the date of this particular Yankees pennant. There is strong evidence to believe this is a 1938 Yankees World Series pennant. This lot was being sold as all items received and purchased at this game. Just some food for thought. Jason
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1938YankeesPennant.jpg (72.2 KB, 318 views)
Old 01-23-2018, 02:11 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Thanks Jason!

Additionally, there are 3/4 size Pennants of the Yankees, Dodgers and Giants with the same Batter graphic as on the Mini Pennant you’ve pictured. So this helps to date those as well.

Much appreciated!
Old 01-27-2018, 11:30 AM

Default 1917 White Sox World Series banquet

Here are some "detail" photos from the October 3, 1917 pre-World Series banquet feting the Al Champion White Sox at the Edgewater Beach Hotel.

I wonder if these incredible pennants survived?

Also included is a detail showing Jackson and Weaver at the dais table.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:17 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

A few of those White Sock Pins have survived. I know Mastro had a couple, among others....

But the huge White Sox Pennant looks incredible. Bet it was even more spectacular in living color. I, too wonder if there's any way it could have survived? That would be an absolute stunner.

Last edited by perezfan; 01-27-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:06 PM
Rob

Not quite as cool as the White Sox stuff, but I was under bidder on this, years ago. It went pretty cheap but I was just beginning to collect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KGrHqQOKjQE0jn4Z2qBNbFySNww0_3.jpg (61.5 KB, 362 views)
Old 01-29-2018, 02:31 PM

Default Stanford and Cal Pennants

Buying pre 1930's Stanford and Cal sewn pennants especially LJSU Stanford pennants. Please send pictures and prices.

michaelmays24@comcast.net
Old 02-02-2018, 09:18 AM

Default First year Pittsburgh Penguins Pennant

Picked up this first year Penguins hockey pennant. Have never seen another in my 8 years of collecting hockey pennants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg penguins 67.jpg (77.4 KB, 284 views)
Old 02-02-2018, 01:59 PM
Rob

Default A few additions...

image host
image host
image host
image host
Old 02-02-2018, 03:45 PM
Rick Haskins

Default mini pennants from the 1910s

Hello, I am fascinated by this piece, from the 1910s.

It measures about 24 x 24 inches and each pennants is about 7&3/4 by 2&3/4 inches. They are different and larger that the common ferguson bakery pennants.

Has anyone ever seen these or any like them? And any comments as to worth for any of the pennants? There are some pretty good HOFers in there.

Appreciate any opinions/comments, thanks-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (74.0 KB, 262 views)
Old 02-02-2018, 03:50 PM
Mike Kendall

Nice pennants. I really like the Yale with the Bulldog looking through the "Y" and the Cubs which I guess is from the 30's.
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 02-02-2018, 05:35 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardoh View Post

It measures about 24 x 24 inches and each pennants is about 7&3/4 by 2&3/4 inches. They are different and larger that the common ferguson bakery pennants.

Has anyone ever seen these or any like them? And any comments as to worth for any of the pennants? There are some pretty good HOFers in there.

Great piece Rick
Old 02-02-2018, 06:43 PM

I can't imagine anyone ever destroying a pillow top to obtain the pennants.I have never seen an individual pennant for sale and hope I never will. This "pillow top" was given away by the Ferguson company in 1916 as a premium. I think there are only 4 or 5 in existence. Congrats if you won this last night. It is a wonderful piece.

Last edited by matty39; 02-02-2018 at 07:02 PM. Reason: want to ad to it
Old 02-02-2018, 08:07 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardoh View Post

A considerably worse condition one sold for just under $1700 on Heritage in August. It's now for sale on eBay for just under $4900 or best offer.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:37 PM
Rick Haskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty39 View Post
I can't imagine anyone ever destroying a pillow top to obtain the pennants.I have never seen an individual pennant for sale and hope I never will. This "pillow top" was given away by the Ferguson company in 1916 as a premium. I think there are only 4 or 5 in existence. Congrats if you won this last night. It is a wonderful piece.
thank you for this information, appreciate that~!

I also sent you a pm, let me know if you get it, thanks!
Old 02-03-2018, 04:20 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by islesnut View Post
Picked up this first year Penguins hockey pennant. Have never seen another in my 8 years of collecting hockey pennants.
I really like that pennant. The shade of blue and the left hand border are unlike anything I've ever seen on a pennant.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:13 PM
Erik

Default New pickup

Just recently picked up this very rare piece! Seller had it framed in museum grade UV protection glass. Some pickups make you more excited than others and this is one of them!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06C5CE06-0734-40BD-A4DB-A41481FAABCC.jpg (18.2 KB, 314 views)
Old 02-05-2018, 07:19 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

I know this isn't baseball, but as a Saginaw Gears collector this is my favorite Gears pennant. It's a 1976-77 IHL Turner Cup Champions photo pennant. I've only ever seen this one and love it.

My second favorite is my team signed example.

AndyH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Saginaw Gears photo pennant.jpg (77.4 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg Saginaw Gears Signed Pennant.jpg (78.0 KB, 310 views)

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 02-05-2018, 07:23 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikc21 View Post
Just recently picked up this very rare piece! Seller had it framed in museum grade UV protection glass. Some pickups make you more excited than others and this is one of them!
That's a great pennant and a really tough one.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:11 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
That's a great pennant and a really tough one.

Hey thanks! I wasn’t intending to get it and then I did...sometimes the best finds are the unexpected surprises!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2018, 10:09 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
I know this isn't baseball, but as a Saginaw Gears collector this is my favorite Gears pennant. It's a 1976-77 IHL Turner Cup Champions photo pennant. I've only ever seen this one and love it.

My second favorite is my team signed example.

AndyH
Gotta love a name like the Saginaw Gears!

Was there a Columbus, OH team in the IHL at that time? Seals, maybe?

edit: just checked....Owls. Loved that logo!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C3876CB4-5DEF-44CC-8D12-3F86C2B1823E.jpg (9.2 KB, 255 views)

Last edited by ooo-ribay; 02-09-2018 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:16 PM
Mike Kendall

A real beauty........

https://www.ebay.com/itm/flag/192451....c100290.m3507
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:36 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
I have that one.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:46 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
I have that one.
Yeah but do you have the blue version?
Old 02-10-2018, 10:30 PM
Rob

There are sooooooo many dopes on ebay. Lately, I’ve been seeing slabbed and graded Fun Foods or MLBPA pins being “offered” at $500+. They’re worth about a buck. You gotta be a dope to send them to PSA, in the first place.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:11 AM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
There are sooooooo many dopes on ebay. Lately, I’ve been seeing slabbed and graded Fun Foods or MLBPA pins being “offered” at $500+. They’re worth about a buck. You gotta be a dope to send them to PSA, in the first place.
Speaking of dopes on eBay.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Vtg-very-...53.m1438.l2649

Old 02-11-2018, 09:21 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
So rare that there only 5 others on Ebay at this very moment.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:01 PM
Rob

Can I assume the 1907-08 is a repro?
Old 02-11-2018, 03:06 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Can I assume the 1907-08 is a repro?
No it's original.

Original vintage circa 2007-08
Old 02-11-2018, 08:23 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
No it's original.

Ha!

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 02-12-2018, 12:19 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
No it's original.

100 year commemorative version!
Old 02-23-2018, 09:23 AM
Stephen

Default My newest purchase

My most recent pick up to add to my collection of Tiger pennants. Just need to add the 35 & 38 version now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (19.9 KB, 245 views)
Old 02-23-2018, 09:11 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ser1979 View Post
My most recent pick up to add to my collection of Tiger pennants. Just need to add the 35 & 38 version now.

Great pickup! Love the pennant and how you’re displaying them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2018, 08:11 PM
Rob

This is a screen grab from last night's Antiques Roadshow. I've never seen this pennant. Is it just me, or does it look oversized? I didn't think they did oversized pennants in this era. Does anyone know anything about this pennant? Value?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-02-26 10.40.49.jpg (78.9 KB, 176 views)