NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-08-2018, 07:35 AM
Paul S

Default Signature and cachet question

So I saw this for sale on eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/BILLY-SULLI...IAAOSwBjdaOz0d) and was wondering a) if you guys think the signature is real and (b) what exactly is a "cachet" and how do they get date stamped? The reason I ask is that I am almost 100% certain that Sullivan (my grandfather) was not in Cooperstown in February 1991, and I am 100% sure that he was not in Cooperstown July 31 1994, since he died earlier that year. On the other hand, it does look like his signature and hand writing, and it would be very like him to write the years that he played for certain clubs. I also kind of doubt it's fake simply because it seems like a lot of work for someone to go through for something you're selling for $7.99. But I am just not familiar with cachets and how they get stamped. It doesn't have an address so it couldn't have been sent through the mail as a postcard. Any insight?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cachet.jpg (77.0 KB, 186 views)
Old 01-08-2018, 11:10 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

The cachet is the design on the left of the envelope. These have been done since the 1920's by a variety of companies (Crosby, Artcraft) and can be quite elaborate as the Artcraft engraved ones or as simple as the one shown here. They were mainly done for first day ceremonies when the stamp was issued, launching of ships (ship covers) or special events like the Olympics. The US Postal Service has nothing to do with the cachets. They have control over the stamps and cancellations. As long as an item has proper postage they will affix a cancellation. The item does not need to be addressed nor does it need to be mailed. You can also get multiple cancellations on an item as long as new and proper postage is attached. The postal service cannot affix a cancellation to a stamp that has already been cancelled. It must be an unused stamp with the current postage. For signed covers, such as the one shown, it is more desirable that it not be addressed, U/A is the designation on listings of covers being sold on ebay. Covers that are U/A look more attractive as there is a larger space for someone to sign. They do not have to squeeze their signature in another spot. On this cover signed by your grandfather it is too bad that he did not use the same pen to sign his name as he did to write in the years. Sharpie can spread so bad on porous paper that the letters merge into each other and he seems to have had a very nice signature.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 01-08-2018, 01:18 PM
Steve Birmingham

That's a nice concise explanation. Older covers have a few other things to note, but in general that's it for modern covers. (Cover is the stamp collecting term for a cancelled envelope - or other item)

The Lou Gehrig stamp was issued in 1989, so it's not a first day cover for that stamp. The most likely explanation is that someone sold generic covers with the cachet and the Gehrig stamp specifically for collectors to get autographed. Someone later attended the induction weekend and had the induction weekend cancel added then (The stamp was issued on July 28, 1994, in NM, so it's not a first day for that either.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:27 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Here are a few "cachets" I made myself (drove to Baltimore the day of and had them postmarked) and later had them signed by both Cal Ripken Jr. and the other player mentioned...I wanted to commemorate Cal climbing the All Time Consecutive Games list:

Old 01-08-2018, 08:56 PM
Mike Navarro

Very nice Bill
Old 01-09-2018, 11:58 AM
Paul S

Thanks for the info. I picked it up since it's my grandfather
Old 01-09-2018, 12:46 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

[QUOTE=steve B;1736612]That's a nice concise explanation. Older covers have a few other things to note, but in general that's it for modern covers. (Cover is the stamp collecting term for a cancelled envelope - or other item)

QUOTE]

Thank you Steve. I wanted to keep it simple (K.I.S.S.).

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 01-10-2018, 01:03 PM
Steve Birmingham

[QUOTE=Michael B;1736990]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
That's a nice concise explanation. Older covers have a few other things to note, but in general that's it for modern covers. (Cover is the stamp collecting term for a cancelled envelope - or other item)

QUOTE]

Thank you Steve. I wanted to keep it simple (K.I.S.S.).
I'm glad someone can, it's not one of my skills.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:14 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

[QUOTE=steve B;1737341]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post

I'm glad someone can, it's not one of my skills.
We Mass. homies need to have each others back. (Waltham to Walpole to Worcester to here)