NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-04-2018, 05:04 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default Chasing Ink

After all these years of collecting autographs, realized I’ve taken pictures with quite a few players over the years...many whom have passed on...in an effort to give some structure to these memories, I created a template to print out for a photo album...I think they came out pretty well...here’s what I’ve got so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:06 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:07 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Old 01-04-2018, 05:08 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Old 01-04-2018, 05:09 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Old 01-04-2018, 05:10 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Old 01-04-2018, 05:11 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Some Bums...

Old 01-04-2018, 05:12 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Old 01-04-2018, 05:26 PM
$teve O.

They look great Matt! Reggie looked thrilled having his picture taken.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:05 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39special View Post
They look great Matt! Reggie looked thrilled having his picture taken.

He wasn’t the nicest guy I’ve encountered...by far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2018, 07:05 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

This stuff is great, but it's funny how some of those guys look less than pleased to have to take a few seconds to pose for a picture. That's hilarious.

Can you rate each person shown as to how engaging they were with you and yours??
1 (bad) to 10 (marvelous).

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 01-04-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:25 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default Chasing Ink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
This stuff is great, but it's funny how some of those guys look less than pleased to have to take a few seconds to pose for a picture. That's hilarious.

Can you rate each person shown as to how engaging they were with you and yours??
1 (bad) to 10 (marvelous).

Good idea...here goes!

* Brock was really quiet. Polite but not really engaging. 5
* Carew was really nice. Asked him to sign Rodney Cline Carew and he said he didn’t know how! He meant it. 7
* Cepeda was quiet. He seemed to process things slowly and acted older than his age. Still nice, though, and signed his full name for me. 6
* Feller was awesome. A little “proud” but really engaging and his eyes lit up when I handed him my 40’s model glove. Put it on his hand and he seemed to be transported elsewhere as he told me the history of that glove. Great man. 9
* Ford was nice and polite. More focused on my twins which was fine with me. 7
* Carlton was awesome. Despite his reputation, he chatted me up and jumped up to take a pic. He loved the Cy Young project he signed for me and asked lots of questions. 9
* Ripken was the consummate professional. Brought his own backdrop, talked to me and my daughter like we were the only ones there. Signed for a group then took a break to take pictures with everyone. Expensive but well worth the money. 10
* Ozzie was fantastic, true to his nature as an ambassador of the game. Chatted and happy to take pictures. 8
* Murray was nicer than I expected. Serious but polite and seemed like a nice guy who didn’t exactly enjoy signing autographs but made a good effort. 7
* Palmer was one of the first I ever got a picture with. He was signing at a small shop and I got there at the end of the signing period. Had him to myself and he couldn’t be nicer. Signed his full name and we talked for a few minutes. 8
* Reggie was, well, an asshole. But he wasn’t Mays or Gibson, so he gets a 2.
* Kaline was also nicer than expected. Very engaging and happy to chat. Nice man. 8
* Yount was a nice man who gave a great signature. Nothing special. 7
* Seaver was in a weird mood. He cut himself shaving so being asked to take a picture probably didn’t make his day. He’s not the nicest guy in the world. 4
* Neikro was cool...much nicer in person than expected. Good with my girls, too. 7
* Sutton was cool. Very animated and loved my daughter. 8
* Rose was a lovable jackass. He signed a 3,000 hit piece for me and started making fun of Boggs, saying he had as many singles as Boggs had hits. 7
* Erskine is a gem. A great man who mad you feel like you were the only person in the room. 9
* Newcombe is awesome. Stood up after signing to chat and shake hands for a picture. I could have talked to him all day. 9
* Shuba was super nice. Knew how to work the room and loved my girls. 9
* Lyle was kind of a prick. 4
* Richard was amazing. One of my favorite players growing up, we chatted for a few minutes. Nice man. 8
* Garvey was very polished. Comfortable working the room he talked to me like he knew me. 8

Last edited by Big Six; 01-04-2018 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:54 AM
Steve Zarelli

Great idea! These are really cool.

I’ve met many of these folks and would echo your sentiments on almost all of them. The only one who I had a different experience with is Sparky Lyle. He was very pleasant and friendly when I met him… But it was probably 20 years years ago. Maybe things have changed.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:04 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

I have met every living HOFer as well (Except Griffey) and can agree with most of your assessments. Jackson is a 1 and Ripken is great at signings. However, it is interesting to see these people outside the signing circuit. I have met Ripken, Jackson and many others off the signing circuit and surprising Reggie was actually very nice, and Ripken was horrible when the Cameras were turned off.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:00 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Love those!

As bitter as Reggie looks, also looks like Robin Yount is a man of the people!
Old 01-05-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
He wasn’t the nicest guy I’ve encountered...by far.

I love how it looks like you are trying to model the look on Reggie's face in the picture. It is a riot.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:09 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Had a good day in Westchester...and Rickey wasn’t a jerk!

Old 03-11-2018, 05:57 PM
Steve Zarelli

Nice! Looks like fun. :-)
Old 03-11-2018, 07:28 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I would see Dr. Jim quite a bit back when he returned/attended college prior to going to dental school. It was circa 1979-1980 and he needed credits. He went to my alma mater U/Mass Boston, home of the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library. His lunch time was the same as mine. We would see him in the big cafeteria all the time. He hung out with a lot of regular students who were 25-30 years his junior. Very nice guy.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 03-11-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:28 PM
Jeff Lazarus

This is really cool. Love the overview of the interactions.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:54 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default Chasing Ink

Went to Westchester today...couldn’t afford Chipper, couldn’t stomach Baines...

Last edited by Big Six; 01-12-2019 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:09 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Been awhile...

Old 11-30-2019, 08:34 PM
D@vid L@dd

I was at Westchester today... They wouldn't let me take a selfie. Don said "yeah sure" but the woman next to him told him no. I could tell Donnie felt bad.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2019, 08:36 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldoEsq View Post
I was at Westchester today... They wouldn't let me take a selfie. Don said "yeah sure" but the woman next to him told him no. I could tell Donnie felt bad.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yeah...I got yelled at. Ugh.

Old 12-01-2019, 07:14 PM
Andy Sargent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
Had a good day in Westchester...and Rickey wasn’t a jerk!

That's a great pic with Rickey Henderson !!!!!
Old 12-01-2019, 07:15 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantleman View Post
That's a great pic with Rickey Henderson !!!!!

Thanks man...he was way nicer than I thought he’d be!

Old 01-20-2020, 09:55 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

When the “Other” Pudge was in White Plains last week...

Old 01-20-2020, 08:12 PM
Curt

I got Gibson at the All Star Fan Fest in '01. I don't recall anything negative for anyone, including Gibson. I think Cepeda was sick at the time and I only had an archives card that beaded up a bit. Would have preferred vintage cards for everyone, but went with what I could get on short notice. I was happy to get everyone there, but I didn't have access to my cards at the time, so a lot of what I got signed was not what I would have preferred. I was also not looking for photos or anything like that. I was mainly there to try to meet Steve Garvey for the first (and only to date) time, so the rest was bonus.

I have an extensive Garvey collection, but sadly, what I got signed in my only in-person encounter with him was a cheap printer copy of the 75 Dodgers yearbook! I would like a do over on that one if the opportunity presents itself.

Gaylord Perry might have been the grouchiest person who I got at a public signing. There was an interesting moment in his grouchiness, where he mumbled something about not giving "them" permission for something when he saw one of my newer jersey GU cards.

Dave Stewart may have been my favorite. He was signing before a minor league game, after he tossed out the first pitch. He kind of asked me if it was ok that he not sign certain things (I was trying to help some others out and had a variety of stuff). He told me he didn't sign Rangers or Phillies stuff. I was there for Dodgers stuff thankfully.

He saw a Dodgers police card, said he had not seen one before and started telling a story about remembering that specific game. I ended up giving him one and he seemed excited about getting it. I went through the line several times and at one point he offered to sign everything I had, but there were others in line and I still had a lot of stuff. I passed for the sake of those behind me and just circled back around as many times as I was able.