NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-03-2018, 12:27 PM
Christopher Williams

Default Guaranteed Forensic Authenticators: What Methods Do They Employ?

My latest Blog on GFA:

https://live.autographmagazine.com/p...ource=activity
Old 01-03-2018, 05:14 PM
$teve O.

Great blog Chris!
Old 01-03-2018, 05:15 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39special View Post
Great blog Chris!
Thank you, Steve.

I should have posted that years ago.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
So many little dots...
Old 01-03-2018, 11:19 PM
Bob Davies

Chris, I want to thank you personally. What a great piece.

Thank you for helping us novices "connect the dots" on these thieves.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:39 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
Chris, I want to thank you personally. What a great piece.

Thank you for helping us novices "connect the dots" on these thieves.
Thank you, Bob, and I love the "connect the dots" reference.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:11 AM
keith janosky

Great story Chris. With your finding on the photos with the dots you would think it would be a slam dunk with the Feds on all this fake stuff out there from things like what you found. The wording these companies use "In our Opinion" is crap when you have proof like that. Maybe someone higher up in law enforcement will see your article and take notice. Were always talking about C. C. and the fake stuff there and why they are still aloud to operate but something like what you found definitely would help shed light on the problem. Probably not but wishful thinking.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:53 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithsky View Post
Great story Chris. With your finding on the photos with the dots you would think it would be a slam dunk with the Feds on all this fake stuff out there from things like what you found. The wording these companies use "In our Opinion" is crap when you have proof like that. Maybe someone higher up in law enforcement will see your article and take notice. Were always talking about C. C. and the fake stuff there and why they are still aloud to operate but something like what you found definitely would help shed light on the problem. Probably not but wishful thinking.
agreed Great Post! I wouldn't hold my breath Keith, it's the Wild West out there and the scammers know this.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:51 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
They are allowed to operate because the authorities involved in the Florida forgeries dropped the case. This infuriated Tim Fitzsimmons, he of Operation Bullpen fame, who was given this case initially. This case went high up the law enforcement chain, to no avail. Unless, maybe with more light being shone on this crap, something will happen.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-04-2018, 12:14 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Thank you, Keith.

I've had that information for years, but since myself and a few others were disappointed that nothing happened, it was time to post my findings.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:53 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

This information was given to the FBI in Tucson. Tim then took this to the USAAG. He did shut down a few of the companies for over a year. They where then told to hand all the information over to the Miami FBI. The reason for that was simple. That is where all the forgeries where coming from.
Almost three years of doing nothing they dropped the case.
Chris, Richard and I worked hand in hand with Tim. That is why this is so upsetting to us.

If any of you that live in Florida would like to contact your paper or your local FBI it would be appreciated.

By the way Chris nice work
Old 01-04-2018, 04:20 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
This information was given to the FBI in Tucson. Tim then took this to the USAAG. He did shut down a few of the companies for over a year. They where then told to hand all the information over to the Miami FBI. The reason for that was simple. That is where all the forgeries where coming from.
Almost three years of doing nothing they dropped the case.
Chris, Richard and I worked hand in hand with Tim. That is why this is so upsetting to us.

If any of you that live in Florida would like to contact your paper or your local FBI it would be appreciated.

By the way Chris nice work
Thank you, Shelly, and well written.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:51 PM
qu@n nguy3n

nicely written and informative chris! a few have left but i'm thankful that a bunch of longtime stalwarts are still here providing info for old/new people alike.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:12 PM
T!M R10rd@n

A very good article , Chris.

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:50 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Can I get a clarification on a couple things?

What's wrong with using inkjet paper? Was that not common back then?

What's wrong with signatures on 5x7 or 4x6 photos? Aren't those standard sizes?
Old 01-08-2018, 04:23 PM
Scott

Grading fascinating article Chris!
Old 01-08-2018, 04:30 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
nicely written and informative chris! a few have left but i'm thankful that a bunch of longtime stalwarts are still here providing info for old/new people alike.
Thank you, Chad.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:30 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
Grading fascinating article Chris!
Scott, thank you very much.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:32 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
Can I get a clarification on a couple things?

What's wrong with using inkjet paper? Was that not common back then?

What's wrong with signatures on 5x7 or 4x6 photos? Aren't those standard sizes?
Mickey Mantle did not sign any 4X6 or 5X7 photos for Scoreboard.

Mickey Mantle passed away in 1995; do you really think he signed photos produced on inkjet paper?

Aside from all of the hard evidence I show, I have yet to see on authentic Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio, Ted Williams, Willie Mays and Sandy Koufax autograph with a COA from GFA and GFA opened its doors in Sept. 2011.

Think about it.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 01-08-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:40 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
A very good article , Chris.

Thanks.
Thank you, Tim.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:52 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Mickey Mantle did not sign any 4X6 or 5X7 photos for Scoreboard.

Mickey Mantle passed away in 1995; do you really think he signed photos produced on inkjet paper?

Aside from all of the hard evidence I show, I have yet to see on authentic Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio, Ted Williams, Willie Mays and Sandy Koufax autograph with a COA from GFA and GFA opened its doors in Sept. 2011.

Think about it.
Ok. My bad. I didn't notice that the company stated all their material came from SB, hence the 5x7 and 4x6 sizes couldn't exist.

I also assumed that since inkjet printers were publicly available in the late 1980s that inkjet paper would have been available shortly thereafter. Sorry
Old 01-08-2018, 07:16 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
Ok. My bad. I didn't notice that the company stated all their material came from SB, hence the 5x7 and 4x6 sizes couldn't exist.

I also assumed that since inkjet printers were publicly available in the late 1980s that inkjet paper would have been available shortly thereafter. Sorry
Scoreboard used Photo Lab.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:00 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Scoreboard used Photo Lab.
And the why is that while there were inkjets around, they were fairly slow, didn't do all that well on photos even with special paper, and the special paper and the ink/printer were expensive.

At the same time, a commercial photo lab could run photos from the same negative, or more likely a strip of duplicate negatives, and the cost per photo would have been much less.

A great example of some simple checking. If the underlying item makes very little sense, then more often than not the rest of the entire item should be very suspect.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:06 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
And the why is that while there were inkjets around, they were fairly slow, didn't do all that well on photos even with special paper, and the special paper and the ink/printer were expensive.

At the same time, a commercial photo lab could run photos from the same negative, or more likely a strip of duplicate negatives, and the cost per photo would have been much less.

A great example of some simple checking. If the underlying item makes very little sense, then more often than not the rest of the entire item should be very suspect.
Exactly, Steve.

One of the points I make in my blog is that it would have been cost prohibitive.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:31 PM
Christopher Williams

Default Part 2

Part 2 of my Blog about GFA.

https://live.autographmagazine.com/p...-do-they-use-b