NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #451  
Old 12-26-2017, 06:02 PM
Hankphenom Hankphenom is offline
Hank Thomas
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
Always feels good to find one you didn't have. I am interested in this style of pin and would love to see other examples.
I have a very rare Washington example of that pin.
Reply With Quote
  #452  
Old 01-31-2018, 02:42 PM
ooo-ribay's Avatar
ooo-ribay ooo-ribay is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake
Posts: 2,187
Default

I am beyond thrilled to add this PM-10, courtesy of a Net54 member. I have been searching for this guy for 25 years! With the Giants, and perhaps with other teams, the non-stars can be nearly impossible to find. At any given time, there are usually 10-20 various Willie Mays PM-10s on ebay along with maybe a couple of McCoveys. Marichal and Hart appear occassionally. The other Giants...rarely to never.

I still need Jose Pagan. I've never seen one available and know of two in collections. Billy Pierce? I lost out on the only one I've ever seen. Mike McCormick? Al and Paul left me in the dust of their bidding war.

I get that the Mays pins were sold in much greater quantities than any other player. Still, at 50 cents per pin, I would think certain kids would have amassed the complete set of around 20 players. If they did, those pins seem to have disappeared. Oh well, I guess it makes days like today even sweeter!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-01-31 04.02.12.jpg (75.7 KB, 223 views)
__________________
if you can help with SF Giants items (no cards), let me send you my wantlist!
Reply With Quote
  #453  
Old 01-31-2018, 03:03 PM
batsballsbases's Avatar
batsballsbases batsballsbases is offline
Al
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Still East Coast now in North Carolina!
Posts: 1,822
Default

Very nice! Keep searching your bound to find the others at some point.... Like Mike Wolfe said Thanks for putting a price on it!
__________________
The speed of light is faster that the speed of sound that is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Reply With Quote
  #454  
Old 01-31-2018, 03:08 PM
ooo-ribay's Avatar
ooo-ribay ooo-ribay is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake
Posts: 2,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
Very nice! Keep searching your bound to find the others at some point....
I dunno, Al....I’m no spring chicken.
__________________
if you can help with SF Giants items (no cards), let me send you my wantlist!
Reply With Quote
  #455  
Old 01-31-2018, 03:31 PM
batsballsbases's Avatar
batsballsbases batsballsbases is offline
Al
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Still East Coast now in North Carolina!
Posts: 1,822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I dunno, Al....I’m no spring chicken.
Well that is true! Nice funny little story on that note. I go down to this little antique store about 20 minutes from my new house. Became a little friendly with the owner of the place. A nice older southern gentleman about 77 years old. Sharp as a tack. You wont get anything by this guy. Man owns about 10 buildings all along this one road. In one of the buildings its like a seen out of American Pickers you walk in and its his own collection! Signs, gas pumps,toys, Glass, and all high end stuff! Man has no children was never married and really has no one to give it to. Another guy walks in and you can see his jaw just drop as the items are great! Sees a really nice sign and makes (Freddie) an offer. says no.. makes him another offer fairly high says no. Makes him one final offer Freddie says I really dont care if I sell it or not but I will pass. The guy starts to get a little angry and says to him(this is a true story) Man I offered you more than the sign was worth you know you cant take all this stuff with you, you know... Freddie turns to him and calmly says you know last time I checked I couldnt take the 500 dollars you offered with me also.... I turned around and laughed my ass off when I went out side!!!
__________________
The speed of light is faster that the speed of sound that is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..

Last edited by batsballsbases; 01-31-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #456  
Old 01-31-2018, 04:07 PM
MK's Avatar
MK MK is offline
Mike Kendall
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I am beyond thrilled to add this PM-10, courtesy of a Net54 member. I have been searching for this guy for 25 years! With the Giants, and perhaps with other teams, the non-stars can be nearly impossible to find. At any given time, there are usually 10-20 various Willie Mays PM-10s on ebay along with maybe a couple of McCoveys. Marichal and Hart appear occassionally. The other Giants...rarely to never.

I still need Jose Pagan. I've never seen one available and know of two in collections. Billy Pierce? I lost out on the only one I've ever seen. Mike McCormick? Al and Paul left me in the dust of their bidding war.

I get that the Mays pins were sold in much greater quantities than any other player. Still, at 50 cents per pin, I would think certain kids would have amassed the complete set of around 20 players. If they did, those pins seem to have disappeared. Oh well, I guess it makes days like today even sweeter!
Congrats Rob. Great feeling isn't it? I'm always curious why certain pins are so scarce. If I'm looking correctly, Paul did not have the Haller and it was not listed in Becketts Number 2 guide.

Based on the pins in his book, I would speculate Paul purchased the 2 lots of PM10 pins from the Christie's East auction in 1993. This was the Roger Steckler collection which contained a lot of scarce pins. Those 200+ PM10 pins match up well with his book including these particular Giant pins.
__________________
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Reply With Quote
  #457  
Old 01-31-2018, 05:23 PM
ooo-ribay's Avatar
ooo-ribay ooo-ribay is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake
Posts: 2,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
Congrats Rob. Great feeling isn't it?
For sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
Based on the pins in his book, I would speculate Paul purchased the 2 lots of PM10 pins from the Christie's East auction in 1993. This was the Roger Steckler collection which contained a lot of scarce pins. Those 200+ PM10 pins match up well with his book including these particular Giant pins.
Interesting. 1993 was my first year of collecting, after being a Giants fan for about 30 years prior. Do you have any recollection of what the 200+ PM-10s went for in 1993?
__________________
if you can help with SF Giants items (no cards), let me send you my wantlist!
Reply With Quote
  #458  
Old 01-31-2018, 05:36 PM
MK's Avatar
MK MK is offline
Mike Kendall
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
For sure!



Interesting. 1993 was my first year of collecting, after being a Giants fan for about 30 years prior. Do you have any recollection of what the 200+ PM-10s went for in 1993?
I have a price sheet from the auction. Those two lots went for $7360.
__________________
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Reply With Quote
  #459  
Old 01-31-2018, 07:02 PM
ooo-ribay's Avatar
ooo-ribay ooo-ribay is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake
Posts: 2,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
I have a price sheet from the auction. Those two lots went for $7360.
I wouldn’t have been a player.....especially in 1993.....but $37 per pin ain’t bad!
__________________
if you can help with SF Giants items (no cards), let me send you my wantlist!
Reply With Quote
  #460  
Old 01-31-2018, 07:14 PM
MK's Avatar
MK MK is offline
Mike Kendall
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I wouldn’t have been a player.....especially in 1993.....but $37 per pin ain’t bad!
Especially when you consider several of the pins are very rare.
__________________
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who do you collect? John V Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 31 11-11-2011 04:44 AM
What Else Do You Collect? Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 50 12-10-2006 08:14 PM
Anyone have or collect Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 7 03-03-2006 06:40 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 PM.


ebay GSB